What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
Jarvis323 said:
Anything which can be computed using recursion can be computed without recursion and visa versa. So the question boils down to asking wether all fractals are computable.

I don't know if the definition of a fractal is clear enough to answer. If we are talking about an instance of a fractal then yes, in a trivial way, you can multiply an uncomputable real number with each coordinate value.

Besides a trivial example like that, and if we factor out all of those kinds of non-essential factors like noise, I'm not sure. How about a fractal which switches between two rules periodically as it recurses, but uses an uncomputable sequence to determine if it will switch or not at the start of each period? Then it is morphing unredictably between different fractals. Is that a fractal?
But I am curious as to your claim that any recursive computation can also be accomplished without recursion. I'm aware of specific cases when this is true , but not of any result to this effect.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jarvis323 said:
visa versa
Linguistic pet peeve:
The phrase is “vice versa” from Latin with the meaning “the other way around”.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
I can't understand advertisement of products these days anymore...
It is all about people dancing, singing, the advertisement ends and i have no idea what product they were trying to sell/talking about.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and WWGD
Large print:
" Our Lawyers Average 15 years of Tax Experience"
Tiny print :
" And 5 years in Prison".
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Rive and Oldman too
WWGD said:
Large print:
" Our Lawyers Average 15 years of Tax Experience"
Tiny print :
" And 5 years in Prison".
A good ad would be the other way around.
 
When they cut down the Ceviche fish, they end up with sons of Ceviche.
 
LCSphysicist said:
I can't understand advertisement of products these days anymore...
It is all about people dancing, singing, the advertisement ends and i have no idea what product they were trying to sell/talking about.
Laxatives? Tampons? Hernia Truss?
 
strangerep said:
Laxatives? Tampons? Hernia Truss?
Maybe all in one? And an AM/FM radio and Swiss Army knife too.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
A bizarre exchange:
Person 1" I went to the school of Hard Knocks"
Person 2 " Well, you flunked out of it"

Talk about stretching an analogy too far.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, Oldman too and dlgoff
Shazam's out put:"How you remind me". I finally heard /recognized a song from infamous Nickelback.
 
Magic? How does Windows update when I'm not even online?
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
WWGD said:
Magic? How does Windows update when I'm not even online?
Probably a remote procedure call prior to going offline, this is only a theory but Magic is a long shot.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
WWGD said:
Magic? How does Windows update when I'm not even online?
Dark magic: by some automatic settings it'll download the files beforehand and do the restarts outside 'active hours' on its own initiative, without asking anything.

Quite an annoyance when you have a ton of stuff left on on your desktop
icon_reclamao.gif
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Oldman too
WWGD said:
Magic? How does Windows update when I'm not even online?
Big Brother is not only watching you, he's patching your machine for you.
 
It's weird how visual appeal can affect our enjoyment of something.

If you took your favorite food and put it on a plate to eat, it'd probably look wonderfully appetizing.

Yet, if you put it in your mouth to eat and start chewing (it tastes good at this point) and THEN take it back out and put it on the plate (the chewed up food with saliva and all), you probably would not want to eat that.

YET, IT'S THE SAME FOOD ITEM!
 
kyphysics said:
YET, IT'S THE SAME FOOD ITEM!
It's all in the presentation. :wink:
 
fresh_42 said:
It's day 106 and I still want to smoke.
It's day 5 for me , of spending 20 consecutive minutes sitting down doing nothing.
What was the motivational phrase:
" Today's the first day of the end of your life"?
 
fresh_42 said:
This is the house Nicholas Cage once owned (2006-2009) in Germany:

View attachment 304691
He sells his 5 castles, 4 Burmese Pythons, the 7 World's Tallest Dwarfs, his 18th century Iron Maidens, his DeLorean, and he may be ready to pay his debts.
 
I forgot the password I had set up 20 minutes prior, yet I was able to remember that the Earth weights ##5.977 \times 10^{24} kg##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc
fresh_42 said:
It's day 106 and I still want to smoke.
Hang in there, it's worth it. I stopped over ten years ago, still, sometimes... nope no way. It's nice to be able to breathe when you need to. 🚭
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc
Quitting took me three attempts before it stuck. Now, >40yrs later, I still occassionally think about lighting up! Argghh! :mad:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and Astronuc
LCSphysicist said:
I can't understand advertisement of products these days anymore...
It is all about people dancing, singing, the advertisement ends and i have no idea what product they were trying to sell/talking about.
The worst are the perfume adverts.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and Astronuc
Orodruin said:
I hear the easiest way to stop smoking is to never start.
fresh_42 said:
It's day 106 and I still want to smoke.

WWGD said:
" Today's the first day of the end of your life"?

Oldman too said:
Hang in there, it's worth it. I stopped over ten years ago, still, sometimes... nope no way. It's nice to be able to breathe when you need to. 🚭

Tom.G said:
Quitting took me three attempts before it stuck. Now, >40yrs later, I still occassionally think about lighting up! Argghh! :mad:
Smoke, or STROKE; it's a HARD lesson.
 
fresh_42 said:
It's day 106 and I still want to smoke.
Just keep aiming for the next prime number in days.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and fresh_42
Astronuc said:
Just keep aiming for the next prime number in days.
I have written a little App that tells me the day. It also tells me what I would throw away if I made an exception.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and Astronuc