What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 754K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
I also use a trick. On the phone, that guarantees me that it's me who leads the dialogue.WWGD said:My social graces:
Me: " How are you, Andrew ?"
Him " I'm not Andrew, I'm John"
Me: " Then stop looking like an Andrew!"
When I pick up the phone I firmly say "Shalom!" That a) prevents me from getting recorded something like "yes", or my name, such that they could fake my agreement to any obscure contracts, b) tells my Muslim fellow citizens that they obviously got the wrong number without having to explain anything, and c) stuns callers for the unexpected greeting that they loose their prepared roadbook and it's me who asks not them. And it is a political statement.
Only once, I have had an old lady with a Jewish name on the phone who dialed the wrong number. That was a bit of a pity since I did not mean to confuse her.
Science Advisor
- 6,735
- 2,438
Because?fresh_42 said:b) tells my Muslim fellow citizens that they obviously got the wrong number without having to explain anything
- 20,819
- 28,467
Because chances are 100:1 that a Muslim dialed a wrong number in contrast to a Jew. Then I almost certainly have a communication problem. I introduced "Shalom" (some years ago) after the following dialogue:malawi_glenn said:Because?
(I picked up the phone with my name.)
"As-salamu alaykum."
"Entschuldigung, ich verstehe Sie nicht."
(something hard to understand in a strange accent)
"Könnten Sie sich bitte der deutschen Sprache befleißigen?"
(something hard to understand in a strange accent, this time only louder)
This went on for a while and the caller finally closed the dialogue with
"A******!"
And no, it was not as-salamu alaykum. It was a curse that is identical in German and English.
That was the first time I decided to shock them with a "Shalom!" instead. And it is a statement against the anti-semitism in our Muslim community here. It works.
P.S: My number is pretty old and meanwhile at least 3 digits too short. That means I have a 1,000 times increased risk of wrong calls.
Science Advisor
- 6,735
- 2,438
But not all muslims are anti-semitic. Sure, answering with "Shalom" should reduce the probability that the dialoge continues.
- 20,819
- 28,467
This is usually a matter of education whether they are anti-semitic or not. Well, in that case, we won't have a problem communicating anyway. But (my estimation) 90% are, since they identify Jews with Israel, and they are definitely not pro Israel. I consider my cultural heritage to be christian-jewish (e.g. Hausdorff). "Shalom" is a statement to express this opinion, plus it means exactly the same as as-salamu alaykum.malawi_glenn said:But not all muslims are anti-semitic. Sure, answering with "Shalom" should reduce the probability that the dialoge continues.
Last edited:
- 22,832
- 14,880
That tiger is clearly not crouching enough next to the hidden dragon.WWGD said:Soon to be released : " Eye of the Beholden Tiger ".
Science Advisor
- 3,381
- 2,936
I knew a guy who (for a period) replied every incoming call with 'Pathology!' on a kind of similar basisfresh_42 said:When I pick up the phone I firmly say "Shalom!" ... stuns callers for the unexpected greeting that they loose their prepared roadbook and it's me who asks not them.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
Many years ago I knew a woman that answered with (laughing)
"Speak, Baby... It's Your Dime."
Then there was a guy that, using a guttural voice, used
"Joe's Poolroom, Q-Ball speaking."
I generally use "Hello, this is Tom." That was started mainly to save the time taken by "May I speak with Tom, please?", and responding with either "Speaking" or a deadpan "You are."
Using the "You are" response would sometimes take longer, the caller had to stop and process that!
"Speak, Baby... It's Your Dime."
Then there was a guy that, using a guttural voice, used
"Joe's Poolroom, Q-Ball speaking."
I generally use "Hello, this is Tom." That was started mainly to save the time taken by "May I speak with Tom, please?", and responding with either "Speaking" or a deadpan "You are."
Using the "You are" response would sometimes take longer, the caller had to stop and process that!

- 20,819
- 28,467
Reminds me of that girl who had "Just the two of us" on her answering machine ... until her gynecologist tried to reach her ...Tom.G said:Many years ago I knew a woman that answered with (laughing)
"Speak, Baby... It's Your Dime."
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
In June, my wife and I were in Norfolk, VA and visited the Chrysler Museum and their Glass Studio across the street. We just happened to be there at the right time to see a one hour demonstration. It was pretty interesting.
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Have you ever actually tried it? The force required from one's breath is surprisingly high. I could barely inflate the glass bulb at all.dlgoff said:I was watching a PBS television program about glass blowing and it reminded me of the glass blower at my university's chemistry department back in the 1960's and 1970's. Amazing work.

In Sydney, there's a tourist trappy area called "The Rocks" with a fascinating store called Argyle Glass. I remember watching their master glassworkers creating intricate ornaments, such as dragons, unicorns, cute pussycats, kangaroos, koalas, a harley motorbike, and many other things. They made it all look so easy.

Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Iirc, the answer is blowing in the wind. Not sure why its there.dlgoff said:I was watching a PBS television program about glass blowing and it reminded me of the glass blower at my university's chemistry department back in the 1960's and 1970's. Amazing work.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 5,629
- 1,778
There are different glasses for different applications; some are more viscous than others, some get "tired" or get "the goody" cooked out of them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glassblowingdlgoff said:No, but I could tell from my university's glass blower, it wasn't easy.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 5,629
- 1,778
Got almost as far as ring seals, http://www.ilpi.com/glassblowing/tutorial_ringseal.html , never successful with them. There's a lot more to the viscosity and bubble blowing...how does the wall thickness NOT get into a "runaway" failure mode? It can't be just the cooling of the thinner wall... Took the glassblowing for fun in grad school and am just now thinking about the physical chemistry involved.strangerep said:Have you ever actually tried it?
Science Advisor
- 3,381
- 2,936
Here, the head of meteorology services just got fired. They predicted high (70-80%) chance for storms/rains for the time of some state event (fireworks and stuff), which then so got cancelled.
Unfortunately (?) at that place, at that time there was no storm.
Do Not Ask.
Feeling sick
Unfortunately (?) at that place, at that time there was no storm.
Do Not Ask.
Feeling sick
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Kind of annoying how some of these sites overdo the whole big-picture approach. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big-picture guy. But sometimes I just need a definition, ad when I do a search, I have to go through sites that first put you through a overview, the provide motivation. WITHOUT/BEFORE giving the actual definition. Just happened recently with "Explained/Unexplained variation.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,878
- 6,213
A little bit tremors too? I loved that filmBillTre said:
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,878
- 6,213
Brits think yanks have too many guns, generally. However..this is one of the best movie scenes ever.BillTre said:Tremors is up there with ghostbusters when it comes to making fun of scary movies.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I liked its German title: In the land of the rocket worms!pinball1970 said:A little bit tremors too? I loved that film
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2