What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 754K views
If I can't open/access the Instance, how can I view its error log!?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When I get bored with my Hp laptop, I use my dy :

1662928066697.png
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27 and Ibix
Did the test. I officially have the power of covid.
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
I programmed my Linux laptop to make an alarm sound and blink the screen when it detects the 433 MHz signal of this cheap garage door remote controller with the RTL-SDR radio receiver dongle. The Gqrx radio receiver application shows how the signals from the two upper buttons are actually more close to 434 MHz. This is a bit like the idea on this web page, where a low frequency radio remote controller is used for sending Morse code to someone: https://www.instructables.com/do-morse-code-with-an-rc-car-remote-and-here-it-on/

I still need to get another remote controller at another frequency, 868 MHz, and preferably with a longer range signal, to be able to send a larger variety of "messages" with these. I'm also getting an active, amlifying Mini-whip antenna that can probably detect these signals from a longer distance.



Edit: for some reason the sound in the shared Imgur video occasionally plays delayed compared to the image when I watch it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD, pinball1970 and Borg
Why am I going to the meetup for " Make friends with Data Science"( they asked)? Because I've always been friends with Data Science .
 
Don't know about limiting cases. If an event somehow has 100% probability of occurring, then the odds are 1:0 ?
 
Another day at the office. Politics, politics, politics... :oldruck:

Time for a change.
 
Borg said:
Time for a change.
Diapers?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Coaches/Bosses/Police/etc. can "yell at" people "under" them.

If that is an acceptable form of communication, then students, players, civilians, etc. ought to be able to yell right back if those above them do something wrong.
 
What do you think about our hiring insights?
I'm not sure how you can hire abstractions, but you do you.
 
fresh_42 said:
The Q Q has currently 30 hours of waiting time. Heck, I didn't wait as long for Napoleon.
The Q Q is coo-koo. Coo koo, Coo koo...
 
Why do so many people search beaches on their vacations? Do they miss their former home?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
Why do so many people search beaches on their vacations? Do they miss their former home?
Savannah would be a major tourist spot too in that case. Epping forest quite popular however so you could be onto something.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
pinball1970 said:
Please explain Bill
You beat me to it. I think they're cold turkeys, so my guess is that either Bill or the cartoonist is giving up smoking...?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
My niece goes to Uni sat. I know personal stuff is not allowed but it's a bit of a thing.
It's not Science so obviously I'm disappointed but I think she will absorb things there.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Ibix said:
You beat me to it. I think they're cold turkeys, so my guess is that either Bill or the cartoonist is giving up smoking...?
I don't know, I rely on Bill and Jim for direct life sciences jokes. They make sense to me. Subliminal, abstract, deep, weird, tenuous stuff I look to Fresh and and the physicists.
Hopefully he will clarify. I hope it's a nice ending, those birds seem to be looking for guidance.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
pinball1970 said:
Please explain Bill
The "joke" is the wrong way. The ducklings should follow the ducks, not the way the cartoonist put it.

... or they only want their coat back.
 
fresh_42 said:
The "joke" is the wrong way. The ducklings should follow the ducks, not the way the cartoonist put it.
It's a guy they are looking at not a duck and no one is moving. Also what is the significance of the snow?
 
It's winter, and the guy's selecting a pre-plucked frozen chicken for dinner from the outdoors freezer.
 
hmmm27 said:
It's winter, and the guy's selecting a pre-plucked frozen chicken for dinner from the outdoors freezer.
"A goose down jacket."
 
pinball1970 said:
Please explain Bill
The birds are cold bcause all their feathers (insulation) has been used to make nice fluffy jackets (like on the guy in the picture).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and pinball1970
hilbert2 said:
I programmed my Linux laptop to make an alarm sound and blink the screen when it detects the 433 MHz signal of this cheap garage door remote controller with the RTL-SDR radio receiver dongle. The Gqrx radio receiver application shows how the signals from the two upper buttons are actually more close to 434 MHz. This is a bit like the idea on this web page, where a low frequency radio remote controller is used for sending Morse code to someone: https://www.instructables.com/do-morse-code-with-an-rc-car-remote-and-here-it-on/

I still need to get another remote controller at another frequency, 868 MHz, and preferably with a longer range signal, to be able to send a larger variety of "messages" with these. I'm also getting an active, amlifying Mini-whip antenna that can probably detect these signals from a longer distance.



Edit: for some reason the sound in the shared Imgur video occasionally plays delayed compared to the image when I watch it.

Is this a shits and giggles project or...are you anticipating a hostage/kidnapping situation?!
 
Haborix said:
Is this a shits and giggles project or...are you anticipating a hostage/kidnapping situation?!
The first of those... I also made a video about how much copper-nickel metal fabric you have to wrap around a cell phone before it disconnects from the mobile network, but that video was too large to upload to Imgur. The result was that you need quite many layers of that fabric, and the same if you try to stop a Bluetooth speaker receiving the signal by wrapping it inside that.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Haborix
In terms of driving songs, Yes' "Roundabout" ( ' I'll do the Roundabout ') is a lame counter to Deep Purple's " Highway Star".
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Am I the only one who's watching football on Sundays? Why don't we have a football thread? I want to type "The Bucs were bad, but the Saints were worse." somewhere.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970