What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
ProfuselyQuarky said:
well yes but no where in those range of requirements negates the ability to take your snake out for a walk . we used to handle all kinds snakes back when I did field work. the herpetologists were amongst the most casual of the snake handlers . you have to get to know your snake before you take it outside, of course

and some species are more friendly and mellow than others
That's great, I'm not a herpetologist so you know what they need.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ProfuselyQuarky said:
well yes but no where in those range of requirements negates the ability to take your snake out for a walk . we used to handle all kinds snakes back when I did field work. the herpetologists were amongst the most casual of the snake handlers . you have to get to know your snake before you take it outside, of course

and some species are more friendly and mellow than others
Apologies, it's random thoughts.
 
pinball1970 said:
That's great, I'm not a herpetologist so you know what they need.
haha I'm not either! but animal biologists are amongst the coolest people I've had the pleasure to hang out with. don't even get me started with the bug people
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
well yes but no where in those range of requirements negates the ability to take your snake out for a walk . we used to handle all kinds snakes back when I did field work. the herpetologists were amongst the most casual of the snake handlers . you have to get to know your snake before you take it outside, of course

and some species are more friendly and mellow than others
If you charm them with your special flute.
 


yes the video title has a typo
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and BillTre
Tom.G said:
If you charm them with your special magic flute?
With their special magic flute ;).
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G
Cars feel like one of the dumbest things you can spend a lot of money on.
a.) They depreciate over time and require constant maintenance. The more expensive the car, the costlier the repairs/maintenance often are.
b.) Very often (not always), more expensive cars are also larger and get worse gas mileage on them.
c.) The PRIMARY functionality of the car - getting you from Place A to Place B - is mostly the same across models. There are speed limits, so having a Ferrari won't matter that much in terms of getting you somewhere faster. The reliability of cars on a basic level is also quite good, so your Honda Civic will reliably get you to work just the same as a BMW that costs 2-3x.

Yes, aesthetics and special features can be significantly better if you go from a $25K car to a $50K+ one. But, for that extra $25K+, is it worth the opportunity cost of investing that money for a return elsewhere (like stock market index fund)? To me, no.

I'm willing to spend money on food and even higher costing/higher quality food outside the home, on the other hand, b/c I think:
a.) it saves me time (there is opportunity costs associated with cooking/planning/buying ingredients/washing dishes)
b.) higher quality foods (I'm guilty of eating lots of fast food too, but I do try to balance that out with healthy higher quality meals too) lead to better health. Better health = less medical expenses and possibly even more work productivity (and life enjoyment "energy").

I consider good food a worthwhile cost to pay up for, but not cars.

My two cents.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Now imagine your selfconfidence was in shambles and having more of material goodies would compensate for that.

I don't know.. is that too mean ? :oldbiggrin:
 
kyphysics said:
Cars feel like one of the dumbest things you can spend a lot of money on.
You can't rest or read while driving.

That's my two cents o0)
 
kyphysics said:
Cars feel like one of the dumbest things you can spend a lot of money on.
I guess that you haven't bought a boat before. :wink:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, Tom.G, collinsmark and 1 other person
kyphysics said:
But, for that extra $25K+, is it worth the opportunity cost of investing that money for a return elsewhere (like stock market index fund)?
what if I invest my money, get 50k back, then decide to buy a bmw then lol
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
what if I invest my money, get 50k back, then decide to buy a bmw then lol
That would be very expensive for maintenance. The turn signal fluid alone which is chronically empty is unreasonably expensive.
s-l1600.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Borg and Ibix
all I know is that I've never felt more like an "adult" than when I replaced all four tires in one shot...and that hurt
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
all I know is that I've never felt more like an "adult" than when I replaced all four tires in one shot...and that hurt
..., particularly the landfill/disposal fees for the used carcasses.
 
fresh_42 said:
That would be very expensive for maintenance. The turn signal fluid alone which is chronically empty is unreasonably expensive.
View attachment 332384
Still cheaper than yesteryear when you had to fill it at the pump:
fetch?id=1899079&d=1623765345.jpg
 
  • Love
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff, BillTre and fresh_42
Ok, heavy accent. ' Where clause', not ' Bear Claws'. When I'm hungry, ' Workshop' becomes ' Pork Chop', ' Where Clause' becomes ' Bear Claws'.
 
this campus has an affinity for people carrying their MacBooks tucked in the back of their pants I'm genuinely confused
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
ProfuselyQuarky said:
this campus has an affinity for people carrying their MacBooks tucked in the back of their pants I'm genuinely confused
Pictures please.
 
BillTre said:
Pictures please.
IMG_3480.jpeg
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, WWGD, Rive and 2 others
ProfuselyQuarky said:
this campus has an affinity for people carrying their MacBooks tucked in the back of their pants I'm genuinely confused
So Siri can hear them more clearly?
 
What’s worst is that this isn’t the first I’ve seen
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I'm sure it's just a preventive measure against an unexpected mason cleavage (if you don't know what that is, don't ask)
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Ibix
I hope they remember where it is before sitting. Maybe we can challenge the guy in the pic to fit the entire podium just to his right in his pants.
 
here's to hoping he's a member of pf so he can explain himself . a mentor perhaps
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
ProfuselyQuarky said:
here's to hoping he's a member of pf so he can explain himself . a mentor perhaps
He's likely pretty profusely quirky.
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
here's to hoping he's a member of pf so he can explain himself . a mentor perhaps
But, yes, it'd be interesting to be in a coffee shop and see someone logged on to PF.
 
I thought it was just a strange dream until I read again , here in PF, on people wanting to use human milk to make jewelry.