What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
I have no problem watching American shows, even the propaganda TV from Bellisarius. But when they act like they are in Europe, it's almost unbearable. It is always so entirely wrong. It really hurts.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
I have no problem watching American shows, even the propaganda TV from Bellisarius. But when they act like they are in Europe, it's almost unbearable. It is always so entirely wrong. It really hurts.
The ones when they act like they're in the US are pretty wrong too.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and berkeman
I was asked whether it was possible to design a roulette with the numbers 0 through 31, so that consecutive numbers add to a square. All I could think is to draw a graph with vertices numbered 0 through 31, and drawing an edge between vertices vi, vj , if i+j is a square. And then see if there's a subcircuit spanning all vertices. But I'm too lazy to look up if that is an Eulerian or Hamilton inn circuit, and the conditions needed for their existence in the given graph.
 
fresh_42 said:
13 - 29
What a shame!
What do you have against -16 ??!!
 
Could we either change the word for cost, or not use t as a parameter ( as " cosine t")? Specially when doing a business Math problem??
 
Aging: when you suddenly get sunburns in very unexpected places, like - on the very top of your head.
I start to understand hats. Just bought one.
 
  • Like
  • Care
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Ibix, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Rive said:
I start to understand hats. Just bought one.
Last year for me...

Where is that "sympathy" reaction?
 
  • Care
Likes   Reactions: Rive
fresh_42 said:
🤗🫂👍:oldlove:🎩🤠👒🐥
I swear, the lightbulb moment I had when I connected the bright sun with the vague stinging sensation when I brushed (what remains of) my hair... bloody hurt because of the UV from the bulb. 😛

(And not because of the time it took me to add two and two.)[/size]
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G
Fist bump(B) or handshake(H)? Confusing enough. Is there a name for the mixup when A,B meet and exchange H,B, then B,H, etc?

Hope they don't come up with new ways.
 
Not sure I understood correctly, but there's this app " Find my Android" or such, to help find your phone. But how do you use it if you can't find your phone?
 
WWGD said:
Not sure I understood correctly, but there's this app " Find my Android" or such, to help find your phone. But how do you use it if you can't find your phone?

If you have an android phone you likely have a Google account. Find a computer attached to the internet and Google "Find my device". Google's first result should bring you to either
https://android.com/find
or
https://www.google.com/android/find/
You should be able to find your device from there. You may need to log into your google account if you haven't already.

If it's not your computer, make sure you log out of your google account when you're done.

 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Borg
I think I understand why the band ""Nickelback" is looked down on. Their songs, at least the two I've heard( though I can't remember their names), sound too slick, as if designed from market research, rather than flowing more " naturally" through good old creativity.
 
I run this ISS video in the background during the day and it includes audio between the space station and the ground. They spend a crazy amount of time talking about turning laptops on and off. The latest was an instruction to move the mouse every once in a while to avoid going into sleep mode. :oldlaugh:

 
Borg said:
I run this ISS video in the background during the day and it includes audio between the space station and the ground. They spend a crazy amount of time talking about turning laptops on and off. The latest was an instruction to move the mouse every once in a while to avoid going into sleep mode. :oldlaugh:


And most watching it go into sleep mode themselves.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Watching that thing on orbit makes you wonder
  1. How the hell was the station assembled on orbit at those velocities :))?
  2. What level of tech is on board and how hard or easy it is to upgrade it.
 
Hmm, that .djvu file reader. I thought I had downloaded it before. Did I?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Jonathan Scott
WWGD said:
Hmm, that .djvu file reader. I thought I had downloaded it before. Did I?
Maybe you did what I did. Upload somewhere convert and download instead of searching for a reader.
 
fresh_42 said:
Why? I have heard they taste like chicken.
the goal to own a snake and carry it in my pocket and take it on walks increases exponentially with each rattlesnake I see in the wild
 
ProfuselyQuarky said:
the goal to own a snake and carry it in my pocket and take it on walks increases exponentially with each rattlesnake I see in the wild
These animals have specific requirements.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
ProfuselyQuarky said:
the goal to own a snake and carry it in my pocket and take it on walks increases exponentially with each rattlesnake I see in the wild
Perhaps I am missing the humour. Animals will get stressed, restricted too hot, too cold or like a pocket watch.
 
pinball1970 said:
These animals have specific requirements.
well yes but no where in those range of requirements negates the ability to take your snake out for a walk . we used to handle all kinds snakes back when I did field work. the herpetologists were amongst the most casual of the snake handlers . you have to get to know your snake before you take it outside, of course

and some species are more friendly and mellow than others
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and pinball1970