What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
Borg said:I'm really getting tired of customer service representatives this week...![]()
The feeling is probably mutual. :D
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
Borg said:I am very polite (most of the time). I don't have a lot of patience though for incompetent reps who insist on telling me completely wrong information.![]()
Indeed. I am the same way. But I often just get the feeling nobody cares anymore.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
- 9,864
- 4,896
wowBorg said:don't have a lot of patience though for incompetent reps who insist on telling me completely wrong information.![]()
Especially when they get officious.
One of Hamlet's "Slings and Arrows" is "insolence of office"
Another Boring Anecdote but ending is happy..
.......................................
.
Politeness pays even if it's just that you feel good inside about being kind to somebody who's got a pretty undesirable job..
Fair Anne's cellphone quit one day in March mid-conversation. Said "Unable to find network" and all the bars disappeared.
i spent probably twenty hours with T-Mobile's customer service trying to get it working again.
The ladies in their Phillipines call center were extremely polite(well with one exception) , but you could tell they worked from a script and were unable to penetrate their own company's computer to find out why the account wouldn't recognize either the old phone or the new one i'd bought in desperation.
So i packed both phones and all three simcards in a box,
Looked up T-Mobile's 'investor relations' webpage and found the company president in their Bellevue Washington headquarters.
I mailed the box to him with a letter describing my misadventures.
I made sure to praise by name those nice ladies in their Manila call center who'd work so hard trying to make my doggone T-Mobile phone recognize their T-Mobile network.
And i told him i intended to sue in small claims court and when they didn't show up i'd win , and would have the sheriff seize and turn over to me all of their transmitters in Sharp County .
Then I went to local ATT store and got Anne a new phone .
A few days later i got a phone call on the landline from an assistant to T-Mobile's president . He said all records of our account had vanished along with our 1200 prepaid minutes. He sent me a new phone and promised to re-instate the minutes.
When the new phone arrived and i called to activate it, another very nice lady in T-Mobile's Manila call center one Miss "Ika" magically discovered our old account with all its minutes intact. She re-aligned my new phone to that account . She even called my landline two hours later to make sure we'd had success.
So, using the new phone i called that president's assistant and told him he owed Miss Ika lavish corporate level recognition for customer service above and beyond call of duty. , and a steak dinner .
I followed the conversation with email to same effect and included the links to both of Manila's Outback Steakhouses. I offered to pay for her dinner myself. He wrote back assuring me he would see to it.So now i the ultimate luddite find myself in a two cellphone family.
oh well, at least i can laugh about my stubborn-ness.
And i really hope Miss Ika got her steak dinner.
old jim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
- 9,864
- 4,896
http://www.verizon.com/about/investors/corporate-governanceBorg said:Funny you should mention a cell phone company. I've been having fun with Verizon this week.![]()
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
LOL, Jim. I'll keep that handy in case I need it.jim hardy said:
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
We might be signing with T-mobile, since At&T didn't forgive us for being broke and not paying the bill.
I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who finds this hilarious:
I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who finds this hilarious:
- 20,819
- 28,467
I find the obvious similarity far more disturbing!WWGD said:I somehow noticed the similarity between "Can of Peas" and " Canopies".
- 20,819
- 28,467
Just heard on a documentary about Learjets. "Birds are the worst enemies of airplanes." Huh? Didn't they confuse something here?
Matilda Salazar
- 6
- 5
JorisL said:Wrong topic ;-)
Copy and paste?LOL
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Strange Day/Night:
First, at night, a bunch of pre-teens walking the streets alone ( different incidents of it; not as one group.) Then I get a phone call early today I did not catch, only see it (and the number) later. when i call back, it is a radio station many states away, robo-advertising a contest which I was automatically entered into.No scam, I don't think, I was not asked to enter any personal info. First question was on which artist had a birthday on June 7., giving 3 choices. I knew answer was Prince, but my phone pad did not work well, and I was automatically disqualified.
First, at night, a bunch of pre-teens walking the streets alone ( different incidents of it; not as one group.) Then I get a phone call early today I did not catch, only see it (and the number) later. when i call back, it is a radio station many states away, robo-advertising a contest which I was automatically entered into.No scam, I don't think, I was not asked to enter any personal info. First question was on which artist had a birthday on June 7., giving 3 choices. I knew answer was Prince, but my phone pad did not work well, and I was automatically disqualified.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Maybe this is normal. When you go out, like to the grocery store, do you constantly have people come up to you and ask you for nutritional advice, like which is healthier, olive oil or coconut oil, OLIVE OIL! Coconut oil is the unhealthiest vegetable oil there is, it is the highest in saturated fats, even my health insurance included a warning about it in their monthly newsletter, well maybe palm oil is worse.
But I digress, I don't know why I look like a health expert, but I am constantly approached by people in the store asking for advice. Or they just want to tell me about something they saw that I might be interested in. Today I was looking at some echevaria they had on sale and some nice lady came over to me to let me know that she bought a boston fern there a couple of days ago for $5 and there were 2 left if I would like one. And she just kept talking and talking and finally I said "thank you" and she said "oh, goodbye".
Every time I go out people keep coming up to me wanting to talk. I just find this weird. Is this normal? Do you constantly have complete strangers come up to you in public places and strike up a conversation?
Maybe I am being stalked by the government?
But I digress, I don't know why I look like a health expert, but I am constantly approached by people in the store asking for advice. Or they just want to tell me about something they saw that I might be interested in. Today I was looking at some echevaria they had on sale and some nice lady came over to me to let me know that she bought a boston fern there a couple of days ago for $5 and there were 2 left if I would like one. And she just kept talking and talking and finally I said "thank you" and she said "oh, goodbye".
Every time I go out people keep coming up to me wanting to talk. I just find this weird. Is this normal? Do you constantly have complete strangers come up to you in public places and strike up a conversation?
Maybe I am being stalked by the government?

- 20,819
- 28,467
You should really stop to wear this t-shirt saying "Info Service".Evo said:Every time I go out people keep coming up to me wanting to talk. I just find this weird. Is this normal?
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
I really do feel like I am wearing a sign "I'm a loser, please talk to me".fresh_42 said:You should really stop to wear this t-shirt saying "Info Service".

- 20,819
- 28,467
To me those occasions, at least those I remember, occurred when I have been a stranger to the place myself. I remember a visit to MI when I took a break somewhere in nowhere to have a snack and a not so healthy thing on the longer way back to the airport. As I stood there on a parking lot, a van with four or five young ladies stopped and they asked me about the way to a party. Oh how I hated this flight ticket in this moment ...Evo said:Is this normal? Do you constantly have complete strangers come up to you in public places and strike up a conversation?
But this hasn't been the only time something like this happened to me. My guess is this happens, because as a stranger you normally are far more open to impressions of all kind and looking around anyway, which makes it easier for others to start a conversation. However, I do not assume that you behave like a tourist in the grocery store which makes it a bit strange.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
These were girls flirting with you the "HOT" guy! This was no accident, they spotted you and made a decision to talk to you. Not that my girlfriends and I have ever <cough> done anything like this when we were young.fresh_42 said:To me those occasions, at least those I remember, occurred when I have been a stranger to the place myself. I remember a visit to MI when I took a break somewhere in nowhere to have a snack and a not so healthy thing on the longer way back to the airport. As I stood there on a parking lot, a van with four or five young ladies stopped and they asked me about the way to a party. Oh how I hated this flight ticket in this moment ...
I've just noticed that over the past year that I seem to have an abnormal number of complete strangers come up to me and ask my opinion or just start chatting. These are obviously wealthy, educated people, dressed much nicer than me, hmmmm, maybe I do look like a store clerk.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Good one, but a bit tricky. Worse case, you may get a lecture on your aura. Make sure the first name of the person talking to you is not something like "Zelda", or at least does not have the prefix " Madame", or not wearing a handkerchief wrapped around their head. I don't remember hearing about "Zelda the engineer/economist, etc. " It is always Zelda's readings, etc.jim hardy said:Well, push it a little. Ask the next one about your "Aura" .
- 20,819
- 28,467
But you do know, that you shall never leave the house without one?WWGD said:... or not wearing a handkerchief wrapped around their head..
- 20,819
- 28,467
Sort of. One corner should be carrying liquid proteins, if I remember correctly. But towel day is over this year.WWGD said:Together with aura-cleaning liquid and equipment?
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2



That really should be a commercial!