What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #7,001
Why does idiotic hotmail assume by default that when you reply to an email, youre replying to
yourself? I was upset because someone had not responded to an exchange of several emails. Then
I found out my reply to them had been sent to my own account only. Sounds ridiculous.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #7,002
WWGD said:
Why does idiotic hotmail assume by default that when you reply to an email, youre replying to
yourself? I was upset because someone had not responded to an exchange of several emails. Then
I found out my reply to them had been sent to my own account only. Sounds ridiculous.
I don't use hotmail but I have that problem in Outlook when I use Reply from the Sent Items folder. For that, it correctly sets the sender if you use Reply All.

Likes WWGD
  • #7,003
Borg said:
I don't use hotmail but I have that problem in Outlook when I use Reply from the Sent Items folder. For that, it correctly sets the sender if you use Reply All.
Yes, I meant outlook. Not sure of the difference between the two. I just hit the reply button and by default it lists me , only, as the addressee.

• #7,004
Seems in the UK they are planning to introduce a beer named " Nelson Mandela". I can see how the song " Free Nelson Mandela" will become confusing. Specially if you hear it at a bar.

• #7,005
WWGD said:
Seems in the UK they are planning to introduce a beer named " Nelson Mandela".
Well that'll change the meaning of the Mandela effect.

• #7,006
WWGD said:
Seems in the UK they are planning to introduce a beer named " Nelson Mandela". I can see how the song " Free Nelson Mandela" will become confusing. Specially if you hear it at a bar.
Which brewery? Which kind of beer?

• #7,007
fresh_42 said:
Which brewery? Which kind of beer?
Not sure. Now that you ask, someone may have been putting me on. Which I admit would only be fair, as I have been doing it to others myself , basically for ever.

• #7,008
WWGD said:
Not sure. Now that you ask, someone may have been putting me on. Which I admit would only be fair, as I have been doing it to others myself , basically for ever.
Don't mess with beer! We even have an elative in German which emphasizes this demand. If we want to say that we mean something especially serious (ernst), we say "beerserious" (bierernst).

Likes BillTre
  • #7,009
fresh_42 said:
Don't mess with beer! We even have an elative in German which emphasizes this demand. If we want to say that we mean something especially serious (ernst), we say "beerserious" (bierernst).
Maybe you can also ref John McEnroe : " You cannot be serious!"

Likes BillTre
  • #7,011
WWGD said:
Yes, I meant outlook. Not sure of the difference between the two. I just hit the reply button and by default it lists me , only, as the addressee.
Reply All should fix it then.

• #7,012
Borg said:
Reply All should fix it then.
True enough. I'll have to make a small effort to remember. I am too used to assuming the reply will go to the person who sent the email. I fail to see what sense it makes to send myself a reply. It, yes, it's a me problem.

• #7,013
When sheep fall asleep, do they count us? 🧐

• #7,014
etotheipi said:
When sheep fall asleep, do they count us? 🧐
I've found that tightening my face , feet like 10 times in a row helps me get to sleep faster and more deeply. I ( think I ) understand there is a neurological basis for this: when the brain detects eye lids, face are relaxed, it triggers a relaxation response. But it may just be pop science.

• #7,015
Sleeping's really fricking weird, just how like one minute you're awake and then somehow your brain does something and then you just wake up a bit later and never remember actually falling asleep.

Likes WWGD
  • #7,016
etotheipi said:
Sleeping's really fricking weird, just how like one minute you're awake and then somehow your does something and then you just wake up a bit later and never remember actually falling asleep.
True. I've always been curious about the transition. Is it continuous? Discreet? Something else?

Likes etotheipi
  • #7,017
And the harder you try the harder it gets. Do you ever find that when things are more stressful e.g. with exams or whatever, you get like really restless nights where you focus really hard on one particular thing like a maths problem or something, but then wake up and realize that it was all complete garbage? Like I remember once thinking I'd figured out something about orbits of planets or some sh*t, scribbled some stuff at like 3 am and didn't sleep at all the whole night, but then when I was less tired the next day realized none of the scribbles made any sense at all and had no idea what I was actually thinking about?

• #7,018
I've often said, "my biggest regret in life was not going to Graduate School."

Well, I decided to go to the https://physics.ku.edu/overview-physics-ms and printed out all the relevant documentation. I looked in my file cabinet and found my GRE Interpretation Booklet for Candidates 1972-73. My scores in Math and Physics were well above what's required but I'm wondering if they would be accepted or if I could do it again if I had to retake the GRE.

Thoughts?

Likes Ibix and collinsmark
  • #7,019
dlgoff said:
I've often said, "my biggest regret in life was not going to Graduate School."

Well, I decided to go to the https://physics.ku.edu/overview-physics-ms and printed out all the relevant documentation. I looked in my file cabinet and found my GRE Interpretation Booklet for Candidates 1972-73. My scores in Math and Physics were well above what's required but I'm wondering if they would be accepted or if I could do it again if I had to retake the GRE.

Thoughts?
What is your major, main goal? Do you have funding? The more info the better. Good luck if you go. Have you simulated what it will be like to have an idea of what to expect?

• #7,020
etotheipi said:
And the harder you try the harder it gets. Do you ever find that when things are more stressful e.g. with exams or whatever, you get like really restless nights where you focus really hard on one particular thing like a maths problem or something, but then wake up and realize that it was all complete garbage? Like I remember once thinking I'd figured out something about orbits of planets or some sh*t, scribbled some stuff at like 3 am and didn't sleep at all the whole night, but then when I was less tired the next day realized none of the scribbles made any sense at all and had no idea what I was actually thinking about?
One thing that helped me in that regard was someone saying: whatever problems I have now will still be there by the time O wake up. At least then I will be refreshed if I go to sleep now. Also, just seems that many of the thoughts that come about are noise. I just tell those thoughts: get out of here, stop with the nonsense. It , or something else , seems to have helped in that regard ; now I just ignore it.

• #7,021
WWGD said:
What is your major, main goal? Do you have funding? The more info the better. Good luck if you go.
My main goal is just to learn. I'm retired so making more money isn't an issue. There is funding available through the university via research, etc.

And thanks for the good luck. Also, I've kept all my undergrad texts so I can do some relearning.

Likes collinsmark
  • #7,022
dlgoff said:
My main goal is just to learn. I'm retired so making more money isn't an issue. There is funding available through the university via research, etc.

And thanks for the good luck. Also, I've kept all my undergrad texts so I can do some relearning.
For now I can think of a couple of things. You probably already thought about it, but just in case * :
1) Do you have a clear idea of concentration for your thesis? If you have a very clear idea, you may be able to look for a orof to help and get an early start on your thesis.

2) I suggest you try to mimic now the effort you will be doing then, e.g., focusing and studying for , say 4-5 hours a day

3) Plan your diet and an exercise regime to better deal with pressure.

*Not Justin Case. See previous episodes.

• #7,023
WWGD said:
For now I can think of a couple of things. You probably already thought about it, but just in case * :
1) Do you have a clear idea of concentration for your thesis? If you have a very clear idea, you may be able to look for a orof to help and get an early start on your thesis.

2) I suggest you try to mimic now the effort you will be doing then, e.g., focusing and studying for , say 4-5 hours a day

3) Plan your diet and an exercise regime to better deal with pressure.

*Not Justin Case. See previous episodes.
1) I've been doing home research on an electro-optical device.
2)4-5 hours a day isn't much IMO
3)I live on a 5 acre plot and do a lot of gardening => food and exercise.
previous episodes? In undergrad school I worked with a professor (now emeritus) with the university's particle accelerator. Plus I was a TA for a physics 1 lab; so I've done a lot of grading.

• #7,024
Well, it may be a good omen: you made the comment/question on Richard Feynman's birthday anniversary. :).

• #7,025
WWGD said:
Well, it may be a good omen: you made the comment/question on Richard Feynman's birthday anniversary. :).
I guess I don't remember that. Do you have a link to that thread?

Anyway, I hope it's a good omen. :)

• #7,026
went to borrow gravitation by mtw this morning, it's a pretty apt title since it feels like it weighs like half the chandrasekhar mass

Likes collinsmark and Keith_McClary
  • #7,027
etotheipi said:
went to borrow gravitation by mtw this morning, it's a pretty apt title since it feels like it weighs like half the chandrasekhar mass
Why did you borrow gravitation? So many people are trying to get rid of it: Zero-G customers, weight watchers, literally every space agency on the planet, roller coasters ...

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, BillTre and etotheipi
  • #7,028
etotheipi said:
went to borrow gravitation by mtw this morning,
Lift with your legs, not your back.

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, BillTre and etotheipi
  • #7,029
WWGD said:
True enough. I'll have to make a small effort to remember. I am too used to assuming the reply will go to the person who sent the email. I fail to see what sense it makes to send myself a reply. It, yes, it's a me problem.
But still, I know I should just drop it, but what sense does it make design-wise to assume that the default is by someone to send themselves messages?

• #7,030
dlgoff said:
I guess I don't remember that. Do you have a link to that thread?

Anyway, I hope it's a good omen. :)
Not really a thread, just a short exchange about someone's name being Justin Case= Just in Case.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff
  • #7,031
9 of 10 people in STEM fields are men. It is time to change this. We must start to tell the world that we actually do vegan science! O.k., perhaps not biology, but they have the best ratio anyway.

Likes BillTre
  • #7,032
Well, this is my last time logging in here. I have one or two more posts I'd like to share, then it's back into the Void with me.

I have to quit, doctor's orders. Too many flashy things here I don't normally deal with, as I normally cruise the 'net with every bell and whistle turned off, but can't log in or post here under those conditions.

I especially liked meeting poster BillTre, as we have a lot of common interests.

• Wow
Likes BillTre
  • #7,033
fresh_42 said:
9 of 10 people in STEM fields are men. It is time to change this. We must start to tell the world that we actually do vegan science! O.k., perhaps not biology, but they have the best ratio anyway.
Women obtain stem degrees at a much lower rate than men. Let them do what they choose to do. I don't see anyone stopping them.

• #7,034
BigDon said:
Well, this is my last time logging in here. I have one or two more posts I'd like to share, then it's back into the Void with me.

I have to quit, doctor's orders. Too many flashy things here I don't normally deal with, as I normally cruise the 'net with every bell and whistle turned off, but can't log in or post here under those conditions.

I especially liked meeting poster BillTre, as we have a lot of common interests.
Not sure I understand. Are you having trouble logging in, or navigating PF?

• #7,035
The height of confidence: looking in the back of the book to see if your results agree with the book. If they do, say : " They got it right!".