What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 760K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
WWGD said:I want to open a perfume store called " 50 scents".
As long as you do not make the same stupid mistake a German franchise made. Their advertisement was by the slogan:DrGreg said:Well, I suppose that's better than "50 shades of spray".
"Come in and find out!" I wonder whether they sold anything at all.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Those were not perfumes, they were just non-scents.fresh_42 said:As long as you do not make the same stupid mistake a German franchise made. Their advertisement was by the slogan:
"Come in and find out!" I wonder whether they sold anything at all.
- 13,926
- 16,805
There used to be a UK chain of budget jewellery stores called Ratner's. The owner, Gerald Ratner, said publically that what they sold was "absolute crap" but people bought it anyway. I don't recall how long it took for them to file for bankruptcy after that - a week or two I think.fresh_42 said:As long as you do not make the same stupid mistake a German franchise made. Their advertisement was by the slogan:
"Come in and find out!" I wonder whether they sold anything at all.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
I remember that. You can read the details in the Wikipedia article: Gerald RatnerIbix said:There used to be a UK chain of budget jewellery stores called Ratner's. The owner, Gerald Ratner, said publically that what they sold was "absolute crap" but people bought it anyway. I don't recall how long it took for them to file for bankruptcy after that - a week or two I think.
- 13,926
- 16,805
Thanks - I see I had a few details wrong.DrGreg said:I remember that. You can read the details in the Wikipedia article: Gerald Ratner
- 13,926
- 16,805
I make it more like 2066 given it's taken about five years to get to 7,777, but yeah, I'm in.WWGD said:Ibix just beat me to post #7,777. I challenge you for 77,777, which I estimate to be at around the year 2035. You in?
- 1,098
- 1,385
Are you supposed to suck on tic tacs or crunch them?
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
Did you know that labelling rules in the US allow a single 0.49g Tic Tac's 90% sugar content to be declared as 0g, since it is below the threshold of 0.5g? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic_Tac#Ingredientsergospherical said:Are you supposed to suck on tic tacs or crunch them?
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,711
DrGreg said:Did you know that labelling rules in the US allow a single 0.49g Tic Tac's 90% sugar content to be declared as 0g, since it is below the threshold of 0.5g? See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic_Tac#Ingredients
I did not that know that, but I am so not surprised.
Last edited:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
What? Do you know who she is?WWGD said:I understand her hotel was close to the school. She came straight out of Compton.;).
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Or you could get a job. ;)WWGD said:Ibix just beat me to post #7,777. I challenge you for #77,777, which I estimate to be at around the year 2035. You in? Edit: Or let's see about #8,888
Keith_McClary
- 752
- 1,507
Ivan Seeking said:Oh yes, oddly enough, I learned a key concept from the show, The West Wing. A woman is explaining how guys who are not proverbial hunks or knockouts get beautiful women: Smart and funny. Many women are attracted to men who are smart and funny.
I remember thinking, "I can do smart and funny!" This just helped to reinforce what I had already been learning. It's true! Unflinching confidence, smart, and funny. That was the ticket along with losing 60 pounds and adding a bunch of muscle. Gotta take great care of yourself too!
Truth Facts by Wulff & Morgenthaler for July 16, 2021
- 13,926
- 16,805
But any you do get are serious - there are no minor errors, only grave errors.Tom.G said:I suppose you could try Grave Digger, no customer complaints that way.![]()
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Keith_McClary said:
LOL! I raised my standards to dream girl. And it worked. If I posted photos of the women I've dated you wouldn't believe it.
But I'm not looking for a wife or life partner. No plans to do that again. So it's a very different game. I have also talked online with something around 6000 women over the last 6 years. I work very hard to find someone when I'm looking. It's a full-time job after my full-time job.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
I call it Excel Dating because I have to use Excel to keep track all of my conversations. It isn't easy trying to carry on conversations with ten different women at once. Name, age, education, looks, job, passions, other interests, location, looking for?, wants to do?, names of children if any, names of pets, etc, etc, etc,
Oh yes, the most amazing relationship that I've had was with a women with which I seemingly had nothing in common. It never made sense. I never could have guessed that we could have three amazing years together. There was no basis for it. But we had magic. Since then I mainly look for that inexplicable personal chemistry. There is nothing logical about passion.
Oh yes, the most amazing relationship that I've had was with a women with which I seemingly had nothing in common. It never made sense. I never could have guessed that we could have three amazing years together. There was no basis for it. But we had magic. Since then I mainly look for that inexplicable personal chemistry. There is nothing logical about passion.
Last edited:
- 20,819
- 28,467
But they are also known for notoriously not paying the bill.Tom.G said:I suppose you could try Grave Digger, no customer complaints that way.![]()
hmmm27
Gold Member
- 1,249
- 674
How's there spelling ?WWGD said:I've run recently, in other sites, into some strange/unusual cases of people who's writing was excellent but their content was at best mediocre.
hmmm27
Gold Member
- 1,249
- 674
- 20,819
- 28,467
That's how Oracle, SAP, and all the others came into our world. There is a huge gap between 'from scratch' and e.g. SAP. You could start with the usual suspects (depending on how OO you want to be): clients, deliverers, credits and debits, bills, addresses, and so on. Those databases get bigger automatically, and painful if import and export are involved.WWGD said:Guy wants to keep his business secret. Including from me. So I have to setup a database for a phantom business I know nothing about. I suspect even he barely knows. Should go well. I believe @fresh_42 was a pm? Any ideas, fresh?
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2