What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 762K views
Gah! Only picked up pepper packets with my dinner. No salt. Is pepper good as anything other than being the name of an exotic dancer?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Gah! Only picked up pepper packets with my dinner. No salt. Is pepper good as anything other than being the name of an exotic dancer?
I cannot understand how you can live with pepper as a description for the entire variety. We have:
Pfeffer (black, green, white, coloured), Paprikapulver (hot, sweet), Paprika (the fruit, yellow, green, red), Pepperoni (all variants, fresh or in vinegar), and Chillischoten (hot variants of Pepperoni, usually red). Every time I look up the English word for one of them I end up with "pepper".
 
fresh_42 said:
I cannot understand how you can live with pepper as a description for the entire variety. We have:
Pfeffer (black, green, white, coloured), Paprikapulver (hot, sweet), Paprika (the fruit, yellow, green, red), Pepperoni (all variants, fresh or in vinegar), and Chillischoten (hot variants of Pepperoni, usually red). Every time I look up the English word for one of them I end up with "pepper".
Good point. Never got into that spice-zone for food. Closest I remember was this " Lawrie's Salt", a generalized condiment mix. Will look it up next time I go shopping.
 
So which variant of the feffer family is used in pfeffernuse( Sp?)
 
WWGD said:
So which variant of the feffer family is used in pfeffernuse( Sp?)
Wikipedia: "Pepper is usually not included in the pastry, but the dough is usually spicy. As with gingerbread, which is also called pepper cookies, the name probably goes back to the Middle Ages, when the exotic spices were generally referred to as pepper."

... and obviously still in English.
 
fresh_42 said:
Wikipedia: "Pepper is usually not included in the pastry, but the dough is usually spicy. As with gingerbread, which is also called pepper cookies, the name probably goes back to the Middle Ages, when the exotic spices were generally referred to as pepper."

... and obviously still in English.
I thought that was the Rabbit dish. ( Embarrassed)
 
fresh_42 said:
I cannot understand how you can live with pepper as a description for the entire variety.
Quite agree. The hot ones are sometimes called "chile"

Here's my version for 2021: Cayennes, Thai Chilies, serranos:

20210322_141433.jpg


20210725_124436.jpg
20211114_101023.jpg
20211114_102954.jpg
20211114_104329.jpg
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
WWGD said:
How about the Crocus?
I will have to try that sometime, see if I can harvest the saffron
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
gmax137 said:
I will have to try that sometime, see if I can harvest the saffron
I heard you need thousands to produce just a single ounce.
Tell me about the American Woman too;).
 
WWGD said:
I thought that was the Rabbit dish. ( Embarrassed)
I meant to refer to Hasenpfeffer. Rabbit .
 
What do you make of someone who gives a very poor ( even incorrect) about Dunning Kruger?
 
ergospherical said:
What a fricking beautiful day!
looks like someone's in a good mood.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Hamiltonian said:
looks like someone's in a good mood.
Maybe another chicken for €2.50?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian
Here is a National Geographic picture I found (its very nice):

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 11.56.25 AM.png


It is from the bottom of a cenote, in the Yucatán Penninsula.

A cenote is like a sink hole with water at the bottom. They are more common in the Yucatán Penninsula than anywhere else in the world.
Presumably, this is due to the mega-disturbance or the area's geology from the Chicxulub impact (which killed the dinosaurs).

Photograph by Boris Vetshev, Shutterstock
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, Oldman too, collinsmark and 2 others
BillTre said:
Here is a National Geographic picture I found (its very nice):

View attachment 296962

It is from the bottom of a cenote, in the Yucatán Penninsula.

A cenote is like a sink hole with water at the bottom. They are more common in the Yucatán Penninsula than anywhere else in the world.
Presumably, this is due to the mega-disturbance or the area's geology from the Chicxulub impact (which killed the dinosaurs).

Photograph by Boris Vetshev, Shutterstock
It takes a few C- notes to visit a Cenote.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
WWGD said:
It takes a few C- notes to visit a Cenote.

I bet I could do it for less.
I have a bunch of friends (tropical fish hobbyists) who go to the Yucatán for fish collecting.
They are cheap people (cheap peep?).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and WWGD
BillTre said:
I bet I could do it for less.
I have a bunch of friends (tropical fish hobbyists) who go to the Yucatán for fish collecting.
They are cheap people (cheap peep?).
Hey, I go to all-you-can-eat contests, get my free meal and then declare I lost .
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
BillTre said:
I bet I could do it for less.
I have a bunch of friends (tropical fish hobbyists) who go to the Yucatán for fish collecting.
They are cheap people (cheap peep?).
There's a reason astronomers build telescopes in Chile and La Palma. They talk about high altitude and seeing, but don't believe them... :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Ibix said:
There's a reason astronomers build telescopes in Chile and La Palma. They talk about high altitude and seeing, but don't believe them... :wink:
Ditto for Hawaii. Kind of skeptical of people who would study something like Philosophy in any tropical paradise. Maybe Philosophy of mixed drinks including rum?
 
Yet another benefit of listening to Queen's music. Reading on how it incentivized non-native speakers to learn English, because of the lyrics. As examples; from Black Queen: " ...Tatterdemalion and a junketer...". Curiosity about the unusual words , used in interesting musical compositions.
 
Cured sausages? What, were they sick?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
Kind of funny/interesting but not quite a joke. Just in case, the two pics are not related.
Screenshot_2022-02-13-01-50-41~2.png
Screenshot_2022-02-13-03-20-30~2.png
 
Why are there hot-dog eating contests but none for bacon? I think I know ;).
 
Dumping someone a day before valentine's day should be illegal.
 
  • Like
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and WWGD
Hamiltonian said:
Dumping someone a day before valentine's day should be illegal.
Valentine's day should be illegal.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd, BillTre and Hamiltonian