What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 761K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
I cannot understand how you can live with pepper as a description for the entire variety. We have:WWGD said:Gah! Only picked up pepper packets with my dinner. No salt. Is pepper good as anything other than being the name of an exotic dancer?
Pfeffer (black, green, white, coloured), Paprikapulver (hot, sweet), Paprika (the fruit, yellow, green, red), Pepperoni (all variants, fresh or in vinegar), and Chillischoten (hot variants of Pepperoni, usually red). Every time I look up the English word for one of them I end up with "pepper".
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Good point. Never got into that spice-zone for food. Closest I remember was this " Lawrie's Salt", a generalized condiment mix. Will look it up next time I go shopping.fresh_42 said:I cannot understand how you can live with pepper as a description for the entire variety. We have:
Pfeffer (black, green, white, coloured), Paprikapulver (hot, sweet), Paprika (the fruit, yellow, green, red), Pepperoni (all variants, fresh or in vinegar), and Chillischoten (hot variants of Pepperoni, usually red). Every time I look up the English word for one of them I end up with "pepper".
- 20,819
- 28,467
Wikipedia: "Pepper is usually not included in the pastry, but the dough is usually spicy. As with gingerbread, which is also called pepper cookies, the name probably goes back to the Middle Ages, when the exotic spices were generally referred to as pepper."WWGD said:So which variant of the feffer family is used in pfeffernuse( Sp?)
... and obviously still in English.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I thought that was the Rabbit dish. ( Embarrassed)fresh_42 said:Wikipedia: "Pepper is usually not included in the pastry, but the dough is usually spicy. As with gingerbread, which is also called pepper cookies, the name probably goes back to the Middle Ages, when the exotic spices were generally referred to as pepper."
... and obviously still in English.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
How about the Crocus?gmax137 said:Quite agree. The hot ones are sometimes called "chile"
Here's my version for 2021: Cayennes, Thai Chilies, serranos:
View attachment 296812
View attachment 296813View attachment 296814View attachment 296815View attachment 296816
- 1,098
- 1,385
What a fricking beautiful day!
Hamiltonian
- 296
- 193
looks like someone's in a good mood.ergospherical said:What a fricking beautiful day!
- 20,819
- 28,467
Hamiltonian said:looks like someone's in a good mood.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,713
Here is a National Geographic picture I found (its very nice):
It is from the bottom of a cenote, in the Yucatán Penninsula.
A cenote is like a sink hole with water at the bottom. They are more common in the Yucatán Penninsula than anywhere else in the world.
Presumably, this is due to the mega-disturbance or the area's geology from the Chicxulub impact (which killed the dinosaurs).
Photograph by Boris Vetshev, Shutterstock
It is from the bottom of a cenote, in the Yucatán Penninsula.
A cenote is like a sink hole with water at the bottom. They are more common in the Yucatán Penninsula than anywhere else in the world.
Presumably, this is due to the mega-disturbance or the area's geology from the Chicxulub impact (which killed the dinosaurs).
Photograph by Boris Vetshev, Shutterstock
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
It takes a few C- notes to visit a Cenote.BillTre said:Here is a National Geographic picture I found (its very nice):
View attachment 296962
It is from the bottom of a cenote, in the Yucatán Penninsula.
A cenote is like a sink hole with water at the bottom. They are more common in the Yucatán Penninsula than anywhere else in the world.
Presumably, this is due to the mega-disturbance or the area's geology from the Chicxulub impact (which killed the dinosaurs).
Photograph by Boris Vetshev, Shutterstock
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Hey, I go to all-you-can-eat contests, get my free meal and then declare I lost .BillTre said:I bet I could do it for less.
I have a bunch of friends (tropical fish hobbyists) who go to the Yucatán for fish collecting.
They are cheap people (cheap peep?).
- 13,926
- 16,805
There's a reason astronomers build telescopes in Chile and La Palma. They talk about high altitude and seeing, but don't believe them...BillTre said:I bet I could do it for less.
I have a bunch of friends (tropical fish hobbyists) who go to the Yucatán for fish collecting.
They are cheap people (cheap peep?).
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Ditto for Hawaii. Kind of skeptical of people who would study something like Philosophy in any tropical paradise. Maybe Philosophy of mixed drinks including rum?Ibix said:There's a reason astronomers build telescopes in Chile and La Palma. They talk about high altitude and seeing, but don't believe them...![]()
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Yet another benefit of listening to Queen's music. Reading on how it incentivized non-native speakers to learn English, because of the lyrics. As examples; from Black Queen: " ...Tatterdemalion and a junketer...". Curiosity about the unusual words , used in interesting musical compositions.
- 1,098
- 1,385
Just some very pleasant weather. It can be a rare commodity this time of year!Hamiltonian said:looks like someone's in a good mood.
Oldman too
- 259
- 489
For those who appreciate irony.
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-intelligence/2022/01/patchwork-apt-caught-in-its-own-web/
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-intelligence/2022/01/patchwork-apt-caught-in-its-own-web/
Hamiltonian
- 296
- 193
Dumping someone a day before valentine's day should be illegal.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Valentine's day should be illegal.Hamiltonian said:Dumping someone a day before valentine's day should be illegal.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2