What is the Numerical Domain of an Algorithm and How is it Determined?

In summary: Instead, the author might have been thinking of a more general instruction such as a "compute" or "assign." In this case, the numeric domain would be the set of all possible inputs to the compute or assign instruction.
agapito
Hi everyone. My book (Smith's "An Introduction to Goedel's Theorems") defines the numerical domain of an algorithm as the set of naturals that, when input individually to the algorithm, result in its "working", that is to terminate and output some result. In the book it is also stated that any wff of a programming language (e. g. C++) can be considered an algorithm, having a numerical domain.

I'm not clear about how an instruction such as "Go To" can be considered an algorithm, or if it is, then how does one determine its numerical domain.

Can someone please explain this? All help greatly appreciated.

Technology news on Phys.org
Logic is not my area of expertise, but your question made me think of Fortran 77's "computed" and "assigned" GO TO statements, https://www.fortran.com/F77_std/rjcnf0001-sh-11.html for some documentation on the (now obsolete) 77 standard.

A "computed" GO TO is then a function defined on $\{1,\ldots,n\}$ mapping to the set of labels $\{s_1,\ldots,s_n\}$.
An "assigned" GO TO is a function from the set of labels to itself.
Finally, an unconditional GO TO is a constant function defined on $\mathbb{N}$.

Maybe this helps you in your thoughts?

Last edited:
Krylov said:
Logic is not my area of expertise, but your question made me think of Fortran 77's "computed" and "assigned" GO TO statements, https://www.fortran.com/F77_std/rjcnf0001-sh-11.html for some documentation on the (now obsolete) 77 standard.

A "computed" GO TO is then a function defined on $\{1,\ldots,n\}$ mapping to the set of labels $\{s_1,\ldots,s_n\}$.
An "assigned" GO TO is a function from the set of labels to itself.
Finally, an unconditional GO TO is a constant function defined on $\mathbb{N}$.

Maybe this helps you in your thoughts?

Thanks. OK in the case of GO TO we can say that the set {1,2,...n} is the algorithmic domain of the instruction. The question, then, is whether each instruction (wff) of the programming language can be similarly considered a function of some numeric set? Thanks again for your help.

It's quite possible that the author was not thinking of "Go To" since no modern language uses that.

What is an Algorithmic Numerical Domain?

An Algorithmic Numerical Domain is a mathematical concept used in computer science and engineering to represent a set of numbers and their relationships. It is often used in algorithms and programming to efficiently solve numerical problems.

What are the benefits of using an Algorithmic Numerical Domain?

Using an Algorithmic Numerical Domain allows for more efficient and accurate calculations, as well as the ability to handle a large set of numbers and their relationships. It also allows for easier implementation and debugging of algorithms.

How is an Algorithmic Numerical Domain different from a traditional numerical domain?

An Algorithmic Numerical Domain differs from a traditional numerical domain in that it is defined by a set of rules and algorithms, rather than a set of numbers. This allows for a more flexible and dynamic representation of numbers and their relationships.

What are some common applications of Algorithmic Numerical Domains?

Algorithmic Numerical Domains are commonly used in computer graphics, image processing, data compression, and optimization problems. They are also used in scientific computing, artificial intelligence, and cryptography.

How does an Algorithmic Numerical Domain impact the performance of algorithms?

An Algorithmic Numerical Domain can greatly impact the performance of algorithms by allowing for more efficient calculations and handling of large sets of numbers. It also allows for the development of more complex and accurate algorithms, leading to improved performance and results.