What is the oldest thing you have in your house?

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
In summary, Dave has some things that are older than he is, including a cassette player from his aunt from the 1980s, a can of garbanzo beans that expired in 1963, and an "Raketa" vacuum cleaner from the 1970s.
I get a few million year old photons in my house every other night. But they don't stay :(

Physics news on Phys.org
My grandfather...
I was joking.
I have a cupboard which is more than 150 years old.

Pythagorean said:
Probably rocks my daughter brings in. Then... me I guess @ 34 years
Rocks definitely aren't the oldest thing in my house.

I have three rocks that are 13 1/2 years old. I plucked them from a hole on Mt Etna shortly after its eruption. They were still very warm, even though solid.

I have a slide rule that's around 70 years old.

(We were hoping to take the chair lift to the peak. We didn't speak much Italian, but were eventually able to get the idea that the chair lift was closed that day. We exited the opposite side of the building we entered and saw the lift supports laying on the ground, having been toppled by the flowing lava. We were then able to deduce that the lift would probably be closed tomorrow, as well.)

I have a rock from Vesuvius somewhere.

My father was there with the RAF soon after the eruption in 1944. We all climbed up in the late 1960's when I was about 8 years old. I went back to the area with my kids in 2003. I believe it's overdue for another eruption.

davenn said:
ahhh found them :)

View attachment 81538
Not to hijack the thread, but, hijacking the thread here, what does an "Ancient Roman Starter Pack" cost, and, that price being the case, are Roman coins worth more, less, or about the same as they were when originally minted?

gosh ... .from memory that pack of 11 coins cost me somewhere around AU$10 - 20 ... it wasn't a huge price to pay for some really old coins :)Dave

Dust on my desk:oldfrown:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I have a 3 cent Victoria coin from 1889, but I can't find any information about it.

I can help you but I need to keep them for a while!:angel:

davenn said:
gosh ... .from memory that pack of 11 coins cost me somewhere around AU$10 - 20 ... it wasn't a huge price to pay for some really old coins :)Dave
So, I wonder what the modern buying power is compared to the ancient. When I saw that "Starter Pack," it occurred to me that there must be so many Roman coins still in existence that they are not particularly valuable at all. Given the 11 coins, the bulk of what you paid was undoubtedly for the silver one. But what you're really paying for is for someone to grade them, package them up, label them, advertise them, and ship them.

davenn said:
gosh ... .from memory that pack of 11 coins cost me somewhere around AU$10 - 20 ... it wasn't a huge price to pay for some really old coins :)
Dave
Thanks to this post, I'm seriously thinking of getting such a pack, I really like such kind of things (by the way, I just googled for "Roman coins starter pack", and this thread came up as #4 on the list :biggrin:).

Likes dlgoff
The oldest things in my house are this coin from 1943 and this watch whose date is unknown to me, but it surely is older than anything else around here (if anyone knows how to date a pocket watch let me know :D).

11164195_10204265654830126_836305029_n.jpg
11103597_10204265652790075_659086854_n.jpg

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff and DennisN
mvkWLazwEfDcSWW3dKqcqKQ.jpg

I keep it at my mothers house, got it when I was 2.

Likes DennisN
BobG said:
I have a can of garbanzo beans in my pantry that expired in 1963 (have no idea when it was bought).

Funny thing is I've always wondered why I always seem to have a can of garbanzo beans in every house I've lived in when I don't even know what they're used for. All this time, it must have been the same can.

Orodruin said:
Garbanzo is just Spanish for chickpeas. They can be used in soups, stews, or salads. You can also make hummus from them.
BobG's garbanzo beans are so old, it would probably be better to make humus out of them.

davenn said:
ahhh found them :)

View attachment 81538
According to the description in the paper for davenn's Roman coins, one of them is a silver denarius. Of interest, at least to me, is that if you buy nails at the hardware store, they will have sizes like 12 penny and 16 penny, but written as 12d and 16d. The 'd' in the size has its roots in the Roman coin, denarius. In England before about 1488, the penny size was the price, in pennies, of 100 nails of that size (http://sizes.com/units/penny.htm). Oddly enough, the "100" here was actually a so-called "long hundred" which was actually 120, at least according to this site: http://sizes.com/units/hundred.htm.

When I was in Yugoslavia in 1974, the basic unit of currency was the dinar. You can guess where that word came from. It's still the currency in Serbia and Macedonia (denar), but the other former provinces have different currencies, now.

Likes zoobyshoe and davenn
Mark44 said:
According to the description in the paper for davenn's Roman coins, one of them is a silver denarius. Of interest, at least to me, is that if you buy nails at the hardware store, they will have sizes like 12 penny and 16 penny, but written as 12d and 16d. The 'd' in the size has its roots in the Roman coin, denarius.

Cool :smile:
love hearing about these oddball things ... thanks MarkDave

<h2>1. What is considered the oldest thing in your house?</h2><p>The oldest thing in my house is a fossilized trilobite that is estimated to be over 500 million years old.</p><h2>2. How did you come to possess the oldest thing in your house?</h2><p>I acquired the fossil through a reputable dealer who specializes in ancient artifacts and fossils.</p><h2>3. What is the significance of the oldest thing in your house?</h2><p>The trilobite fossil serves as a reminder of the Earth's ancient history and the diversity of life that has existed on our planet.</p><h2>4. How do you take care of the oldest thing in your house?</h2><p>The fossil is kept in a temperature and humidity-controlled display case to prevent any damage or deterioration.</p><h2>5. Have you had the oldest thing in your house tested or verified?</h2><p>Yes, the fossil has been examined and verified by experts in the field of paleontology to ensure its authenticity.</p>

1. What is considered the oldest thing in your house?

The oldest thing in my house is a fossilized trilobite that is estimated to be over 500 million years old.

2. How did you come to possess the oldest thing in your house?

I acquired the fossil through a reputable dealer who specializes in ancient artifacts and fossils.

3. What is the significance of the oldest thing in your house?

The trilobite fossil serves as a reminder of the Earth's ancient history and the diversity of life that has existed on our planet.

4. How do you take care of the oldest thing in your house?

The fossil is kept in a temperature and humidity-controlled display case to prevent any damage or deterioration.

5. Have you had the oldest thing in your house tested or verified?

Yes, the fossil has been examined and verified by experts in the field of paleontology to ensure its authenticity.