What is the Optimal Speed for Minimizing Coal Consumption on a Ship?

In summary: You just did the problem correctly and confirmed it.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the consumption of coal by a ship, represented by the formula y = 0.3 + .001v3, where y is the tons of coal burned per hour and v is the speed expressed in nautical miles per hour. The goal is to find the speed that minimizes the cost of a voyage of 1000 nautical miles. The conversation includes various attempts at solving the problem, with the ultimate conclusion being that the textbook's answer is incorrect and the true answer is approximately 5.3 nautical miles per hour.
54stickers
I cannot seem the crack this problem. The solution may be trivial, but normal methods of max/min do not seem to work. Thanks for your help.

Homework Statement

Suppose it to be known that consumption of coal by a certain ship may be represented by the formula
y = 0.3 + .001v3
Where y is the tons of coal burned per hour and v is the speed expressed in nautical miles per hour. if coal costs $10 per ton
what speed will make the cost of a voyage of 1000 nautical miles a minimum?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
54stickers said:
I cannot seem the crack this problem. The solution may be trivial, but normal methods of max/min do not seem to work. Thanks for your help.

Homework Statement

Suppose it to be known that consumption of coal by a certain ship may be represented by the formula
y = 0.3 + .001v3
Where y is the tons of coal burned per hour and v is the speed expressed in nautical miles per hour. if coal costs $10 per ton
what speed will make the cost of a voyage of 1000 nautical miles a minimum?
What have you tried? If you did the obvious (but incorrect) thing and simply differentiated y with respect to v, that won't get you anywhere.

You need to tie in the given information that the trip is 1000 naut. miles. The distance formula comes into play here: d = vt.

BTW, welcome to Physics Forums!

Thanks for the welcome!
I did the dy/dv. I also tried to use the distance formula, but nothing would coalesce. Just looking for some fresh starting points.

Thanks.

vt = 1000

If the ship travels for t hours to cover the 1000 n.m., it will burn ty tons of coal, since y is the number of tons of coal used per hour. IOW, it will burn .3t + .001tv3 tons of coal.

Your goal is to find the speed that minimizes the cost, which will be the same speed that minimizes the amount of coal used.

Mark44 said:
vt = 1000

If the ship travels for t hours to cover the 1000 n.m., it will burn ty tons of coal, since y is the number of tons of coal used per hour. IOW, it will burn .3t + .001tv3 tons of coal.

Your goal is to find the speed that minimizes the cost, which will be the same speed that minimizes the amount of coal used.

Thanks! I was doing all of the substitutions into the dy/dv function.

After a few days of trying this problem over and over, I still come up with incorrect numbers (I checked the back of the book, and it says 8.66 is the n.m/h)

My apologies, for it may be hard to read(I couldn't get TeX to work properly). This is what I did:

y = .3t + .001tv3 t = 1000/v

y = .3(1000)/v + .001(1000/v)v^3

= 300/v + v^2

= (300 + v^3)/v

dy/dv = [v(3v^2) - (300 + v^3)]/v^2

(2v^3 - 300)/v^2 = 0

2v3 = 300

v = cube root of 150 = 5.31329285

I get the same as you did using a slightly different technique. Textbooks have been known to have incorrect answers.

You can check by comparing your answer to the book's answer. If your speed produces a smaller value for the tons of coal used than the book's speed, you know the book's answer is wrong.

Thanks! That is most helpful.

The end result comes out much less than the book's answer with 5.3..etc

Well, there you go...

What is a "Max/ min problem"?

A "Max/ min problem" is a type of mathematical optimization problem where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a given function, subject to certain constraints.

What are some real-world applications of "Max/ min problems"?

Max/ min problems have numerous applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and physics. Some examples include optimizing the design of a bridge, maximizing profits for a company, and finding the shortest route for a delivery truck.

How do you solve a "Max/ min problem"?

To solve a "Max/ min problem", you typically need to find the critical points of the given function and then evaluate those points to determine the maximum or minimum value. This can be done using techniques such as differentiation and the first or second derivative test.

What are the common challenges in solving "Max/ min problems"?

One common challenge when solving "Max/ min problems" is identifying the constraints and accurately formulating the objective function. Another challenge is handling functions with multiple variables, which can require more advanced techniques such as partial derivatives and the method of Lagrange multipliers.

Are there any limitations to "Max/ min problems"?

Yes, "Max/ min problems" have limitations depending on the specific problem being solved. For example, the solution may not always be unique, and there may be multiple local maxima or minima. Additionally, the techniques used to solve "Max/ min problems" may not be applicable to all types of functions.