What is the Pauli-Lubanski Pseudo-Vector and How Can its Invariance be Proven?

• Thread starter udaraabey
  • Start date
In summary, Sam provided a summary of the conversation where the individual was seeking help to prove the result of W2, citing a specific equation on page 117. They also provided the identities and equations needed for the derivation. The individual then mentions that their attempt led to a result of zero and asks for guidance.
udaraabey
Hi

I’m wondering if anybody could help me to prove the result of W2 (square of the pauli-lubanski pseudo-vecor).

Physics news on Phys.org

udaraabey said:
Hi

I’m wondering if anybody could help me to prove the result of W2 (square of the pauli-lubanski pseudo-vecor).

See first equation on page 117 of http://www.arxiv.org/abs/physics/0504062

Eugene.

Thank you for your reply but in my case I need to start with

Wa=(1/2)EabcdMbcPd

And to end with

W2=-(1/2)MabMabP2+MacMbcPaPb

Could anybody tell me how to derive this

Could anybody tell me how to derive this

use the identity

[tex]
\epsilon_{a}^{bcd}\epsilon^{a \bar{b} \bar{c} \bar{d}} = - \left| \begin{array}{ccc} \eta^{\bar{b}b} & \eta^{\bar{c}b} & \eta^{\bar{d}b} \\ \eta^{\bar{b}c} & \eta^{\bar{c}c} & \eta^{\bar{d}c} \\ \eta^{\bar{b}d} & \eta^{\bar{c}d} & \eta^{\bar{d}d} \end{array} \right|
[/tex]

and

[tex]M_{ab} = - M_{ba}[/tex]

regards

sam

samalkhaiat said:
use the identity

[tex]
\epsilon_{a}^{bcd}\epsilon^{a \bar{b} \bar{c} \bar{d}} = - \left| \begin{array}{ccc} \eta^{\bar{b}b} & \eta^{\bar{c}b} & \eta^{\bar{d}b} \\ \eta^{\bar{b}c} & \eta^{\bar{c}c} & \eta^{\bar{d}c} \\ \eta^{\bar{b}d} & \eta^{\bar{c}d} & \eta^{\bar{d}d} \end{array} \right|
[/tex]

and

[tex]M_{ab} = - M_{ba}[/tex]

regards

sam

i tried to get an explicit form of this (Pauli-Lubanski pseudo vector) and i keep getting
zero. i.e W=(0,0,0,0)...which would still make it an invariant; albeit a boring one.
Looking at the form too, with M_ab=-M_ba it does seem that it should be zero.
Can someone tell me what i might be doing wrong. Thanks

Related to What is the Pauli-Lubanski Pseudo-Vector and How Can its Invariance be Proven?

1. What is the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector is a mathematical quantity that describes the angular momentum of a particle in special relativity. It is named after physicists Wolfgang Pauli and Gregor Wentzel, and mathematician Juliusz Pawel Schauder.

2. How is the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector calculated?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the particle's momentum vector and the generator of rotations. It is represented by the symbol Wμ and has units of energy times momentum.

3. What is the significance of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector in physics?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector is significant in physics because it is a conserved quantity in special relativity. This means that its value remains constant in all inertial reference frames, making it a useful tool for understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds.

4. How does the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector relate to spin angular momentum?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector is directly proportional to the spin angular momentum of a particle. This means that as the spin of a particle increases, so does its Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector. It is also related to the spin vector, which is a physical quantity that describes the orientation of a particle's spin.

5. What are some practical applications of the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector?

The Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector has been used in the field of particle physics to study the properties of subatomic particles, such as their mass and spin. It has also been used in the development of the theory of supersymmetry, which proposes that for every known particle, there is a corresponding "superpartner" particle with a different spin and mass. Additionally, the Pauli-Lubanski pseudo-vector has applications in cosmology, where it is used to study the behavior of particles in the early universe.