What is the Probability Density for a Wave Function?

In summary: A^2 (\int cos^2 (x)dx) = \frac{1}{2} A^2 (\frac{1}{2}x + \frac{1}{4} sin (2x)) evaluated from \pi/8 to \pi/4.In summary, the wave function ψ = A(eix+e-ix) is normalized and the probability of the particle being between x=0 and x=π/8 is found to be 1/8π and between x=0 and x=π/4 is found to be 1/16π. The probability density is given by ψψ* and
aglo6509

Homework Statement

A wave function ψ is A(eix+e-ix) in the region -π<x<π and zero elsewhere. Normalize the wave function and find the probability of the particle being (a) between x=0 and x=π/8, and (b) between x=0 and x=π/4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So to normalize the function, I multiplied it by its complex conjugate (A(e-ix+eix) and got:
∫A2[(eix+e-ix)(e-ix+eix)dx=1 From -π to π
∫2A2dx=1
2A2x(from -π to π)=1
2A2π+2A2π=1
4A2π=1

A=sqrt(1/4π)

Now that I have the function normalized, I can find the probability the question asks for. The problem I'm having is however do you take the integral of complex numbers the same way as a real number?

The best attempt I can get is:
∫(sqrt(1/4π)(eix+e-ix)dx From 0 to π/8
(sqrt(1/4π))∫(eix+e-ix)dx
(sqrt(1/4π))(ieix-ie-ix)

Would I now just plug in 0 and π/8 and leave my answers in terms of i?

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.
Aglo6509

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi aglo,

The probability density is ψψ* ("*" for complex conjugate). The wave function can be complex, but probability can not!

ehild

Last edited:
It might be helpful for you if you note that
[itex]\frac{e^{ix}+e^{-ix}}{2} = Cos(x)[/itex]
so your answers won't even involve any i since those trig functions are real!

also, the density you're looking for is [itex]\int \psi ^* \psi dx[/itex]

1. What is an expectation value?

An expectation value is a statistical concept used in quantum mechanics to predict the average outcome of a measurement. It represents the average value that would be obtained if the same measurement was repeated multiple times on an identical quantum system.

2. How is an expectation value calculated?

The expectation value is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes of a measurement, multiplied by their respective probabilities. This is also known as the weighted average.

3. What is the significance of expectation values in quantum mechanics?

Expectation values are important in quantum mechanics as they provide a way to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. They also help to describe the probabilistic nature of quantum systems, where the exact outcome of a measurement cannot be determined.

4. Can expectation values be negative?

Yes, expectation values can be negative. In quantum mechanics, the possible outcomes of a measurement can have both positive and negative values, and the expectation value takes into account all of these possibilities.

5. How do expectation values differ from actual measurements?

Expectation values are theoretical predictions based on the probabilities of different outcomes, while actual measurements are the results obtained from a single measurement. In some cases, the expectation value may match the actual measurement, but in others, there may be discrepancies due to the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.