What is the probability of drawing 2 or 3 jacks

In summary, the conversation was about finding the probability of drawing 2 or 3 jacks from a standard deck of cards without replacement. The correct formula for this is P(3jacks or 2jacks) = P(3jacks) + P(2jacks) = P(J)P(J|J)P(J|(J|J)) + P(J)P(J|J)*(3!/2!). The answer key provided an incorrect answer of 73/5525, when the correct answer is 0.0132. This was verified by multiple colleagues.
Atomos
I am conviced that the answer provided in the key is wrong:

What is the probability of drawing 2 or 3 jacks from a standard deck of cards without replacement.

P(3jacks or 2jacks) = P(3jacks) + P(2jacks)
= P(J)P(J|J)P(J|(J|J)) + P(J)P(J|J)*(3!/2!)
= 1/5525 + 72/5525
= 73/5525 != 0.217

What am I doing wrong? And 0.217 seems absurdly high.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does 2 or 3 jacks mean? how many cardsare you taking from the deck andhow many cards needs to be jack?

Sorry, 3 cards are being drawn.
3 jacks means 3 cards you you have drawn are jacks, 2 jacks means 2 cards you have drawn are jacks.

That means there should be two answers. we are finding the probability of taking any two or three of the four existing card from 52.
First find the number of combinations of any three cards from the deck. then find the number of possibilites of taking three cards from 4. Divide to get the firstanswer of three possible cards. Ask if you didn't follow the logic behind.
Similarly continue with the next question.

(4C3 / 52C3) + (4C2 / 52C4)*50 ?
That does not yeild the correct answer.

4C3/52C3 is correct. The second answer give a thought once more. I will help you if you still cannot. I know that is the difficult task. Please have a serious thought and reply within a day if you cannot point out your defect.

Are you certain that the question is "two or three jacks if you draw three cards"? What about "a 5 card poker hand having either two or three jacks"?

arg...

4C2 * 48 / 52C3

I am getting 0.0132, which is the correct answer. I have verified this with several of my colleagues. The answer key is wrong.

Related to What is the probability of drawing 2 or 3 jacks

What is the probability of drawing 2 or 3 jacks?

The probability of drawing 2 or 3 jacks depends on the total number of cards in the deck and the number of jacks in the deck. Assuming a standard deck of 52 cards, there are 4 jacks in the deck. Therefore, the probability of drawing 2 jacks is (4/52)*(3/51) = 1/221 or approximately 0.45%. The probability of drawing 3 jacks is (4/52)*(3/51)*(2/50) = 1/4425 or approximately 0.02%.

What does the term "drawing" mean in this context?

In this context, "drawing" refers to randomly selecting cards from a deck without replacement. This means that once a card is drawn, it is not put back into the deck before drawing again.

Does the order in which the jacks are drawn matter?

No, the order in which the jacks are drawn does not matter. The probability of drawing 2 or 3 jacks remains the same regardless of the order in which they are drawn.

What if there are more or less than 4 jacks in the deck?

If there are more than 4 jacks in the deck, the probability of drawing 2 or 3 jacks will increase. Conversely, if there are less than 4 jacks in the deck, the probability of drawing 2 or 3 jacks will decrease.

Is it possible to have a probability of drawing 2 or 3 jacks greater than 1?

No, the probability of an event cannot be greater than 1. This would mean that the event is certain to occur, which is not the case for drawing 2 or 3 jacks. The maximum probability for drawing 2 or 3 jacks is 1, or 100%.