What is the Probability of Specific Surgery Orders in a Medical Schedule?

In summary: That's what I was looking for too.The OP has already written an argument.In summary, the probability for all hip surgeries to be completed before any other type of surgery is 4/12 * 3/11 * 2/10 * 1/9, which is equivalent to 1/(12 choose 4). This can be seen by considering the number of ways 4 hip surgeries can be allocated in the 12 surgeries, and taking the inverse of that as the probability. This is because there is only one way for all hip surgeries to be completed before any other type of surgery, out of all the possible ways the surgeries can be scheduled.
s3a

Homework Statement

PROBLEM(S):
Suppose that an operating room needs to schedule three knee, four hip, and five shoulder surgeries. Assume that all schedules are equally likely.

Determine the probability for each of the following:

(a) All hip surgeries are completed before another type of surgery.
(b) The schedule begins with a hip surgery.
(c) The first and last surgeries are hip surgeries.
(d) The first two surgeries are hip surgeries.

ANSWERS:
(a) 0.00202
(b) 1/3
(c) 1/11
(d) 1/11

Homework Equations

I think set theory and baye's rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

3/12 * 9/12 + 4/12 * 8/12 + 5/12 * 7/12

Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:
3/12 * 9/12 + 4/12 * 8/12 + 5/12 * 7/12
I'm sure that's supposed to mean something but what? What is your question?

Oh oops, for some reason, my question isn't here. :P

I meant to ask about part (a); I found out that the answer is 4/12 * 3/11 * 2/10 * 1/9. Having said that, my answer is equivalent to 1/(12C4) (read "1 over 12 choose 4"), but I don't know why. Could you please tell my why?

s3a said:

I meant to ask about part (a); I found out that the answer is 4/12 * 3/11 * 2/10 * 1/9. Having said that, my answer is equivalent to 1/(12C4) (read "1 over 12 choose 4"), but I don't know why. Could you please tell my why?
I'm still not really understanding your question.

Just answer these two questions so that I can understand where you are in all this. What is the probability that the first operation will be a hip operation and then what is the probability that the second will be a hip operation?

What is 12C4 ?

12C4: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=12+choose+4

[1] What is the probability that the first operation will be a hip operation?
4/12

[2] What is the probability that the second will be a hip operation [assuming that the first operation was a hip operation]?
3/11

s3a said:
12C4: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=12+choose+4

[1] What is the probability that the first operation will be a hip operation?
4/12

[2] What is the probability that the second will be a hip operation [assuming that the first operation was a hip operation]?
3/11

Right. So you seem to understand the problem clearly so what is your question? I don't use wolframalpha and the page you linked to is not helping me understand what your question is.

Well, initially, I had no idea how to do (a), but, now, my issue is that I don't understand why my answer happens to equal to 1/("12 choose 4"). Apparently, it's not a coincidence, and I was hoping that you could provide me with the logic/reasoning as to why it is not a coincidence.

I agree it's not likely a coincidence but I'm not seeing the reason. I'm don't even see how "12 choose 4" gets to be 495 since when I do it I get 12*11*10*9 = 24 TIMES 495, not 495 but maybe they mean something different.

12 choose 4 = 12! / [(4!) * (12 - 4)!]

Also, I'm thinking that 12 choose 4 means "how many possible ways can there be 4 hip surgeries out of the 12 surgeries done in total?". Then, I suspect that 1/"12 choose 4" means "what is the probability that the aforementioned scenario happens once?".

I don't know if what I'm saying is correct, though.

s3a said:
12 choose 4 = 12! / [(4!) * (12 - 4)!]

Also, I'm thinking that 12 choose 4 means "how many possible ways can there be 4 hip surgeries out of the 12 surgeries done in total?". Then, I suspect that 1/"12 choose 4" means "what is the probability that the aforementioned scenario happens once?".

I don't know if what I'm saying is correct, though.
Happens once out of what? Once out of all the different possible orders the ops could be performed? . I get that as being 12*11*10*9 / 12! which is way lower than 1/495

What I was saying was that the event made up of the amount of ways 4 hip surgeries out of the 12 total surgeries can be done is the denominator, and that the probability is 1 of such scenarios out of all such scenarios, hence the taking of the inverse.

phinds said:
"12 choose 4" ... I get 12*11*10*9 = 24 TIMES 495
As s3a writes, 12 choose 4 is 12*11*10*9/(4*3*2*1)=495
s3a said:
"how many possible ways can there be 4 hip surgeries out of the 12 surgeries done in total?".
Yes, that works. There are 12 choose 4 ways the 4 hip surgeries can be allocated to the 12 slots. In only 1 of those do they take the first four slots.

haruspex said:
As s3a writes, 12 choose 4 is 12*11*10*9/(4*3*2*1)=495
I'll be darned. Where is my logic wrong when I think 12 ways to choose the first, 11 to choose the second then 10 then 9? Why divide by anything?

phinds said:
I'll be darned. Where is my logic wrong when I think 12 ways to choose the first, 11 to choose the second then 10 then 9? Why divide by anything?
Because there are 24 different orders in which you could have chosen those four, but you don't care about their order.

s3a said:

Because you already wrote the correct answer, which was
[tex] \frac{4}{12} \frac{3}{11} \frac{1}{10} \frac{1}{9}[/tex]
Do you honestly not see that this is the same as
[tex] \frac{1}{ \frac{12}{4} \frac{11}{3} \frac{10}{2} \frac{9}{1}}?[/tex]

Ray Vickson said:
Because you already wrote the correct answer, which was
[tex] \frac{4}{12} \frac{3}{11} \frac{1}{10} \frac{1}{9}[/tex]
Do you honestly not see that this is the same as
[tex] \frac{1}{ \frac{12}{4} \frac{11}{3} \frac{10}{2} \frac{9}{1}}?[/tex]
I think s3a is looking for a logical argument that leads directly to ##\frac 1{^{12}C_4}##.

Related to What is the Probability of Specific Surgery Orders in a Medical Schedule?

What is a simple probability problem?

A simple probability problem refers to a mathematical question that involves determining the likelihood or chance of a certain event occurring. It typically involves a finite number of outcomes and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely.

What are some common examples of simple probability problems?

Some common examples of simple probability problems include rolling a dice and getting a specific number, flipping a coin and getting heads or tails, and drawing a card from a deck and getting a specific suit or value.

How do you calculate the probability of a simple event?

The probability of a simple event can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if a dice is rolled and you want to know the probability of getting a 3, you would divide 1 (the number of desired outcomes) by 6 (the total number of possible outcomes), giving you a probability of 1/6 or approximately 0.167.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability, on the other hand, is based on actual results from an experiment or real-life situation. It may differ from theoretical probability due to factors such as chance or bias.

How can simple probability problems be useful in real life?

Simple probability problems can be useful in many real-life situations, such as predicting the weather, determining the chances of winning a game or lottery, or making decisions based on risk and likelihood. They can also help us understand and analyze data and make informed decisions in fields such as economics, finance, and sports.