What Is the Probability the Letter Came from London If 'ON' Is Visible?

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
Thanks for the help.In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of a letter coming from London or Clifton based on the postmark only showing the consecutive letters ON. One method suggests that the probability is 1/3 for Clifton and 2/3 for London, while another suggests using a prior probability and a probability distribution over the letter pairs to find posterior probabilities. The latter method is deemed more accurate.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A letter is known to have come either from London or Clifton; on the postmark only the two consecutive letters ON are legible; what is the chance that it came from London?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let us assume that probability that it came from London or Clifton is 1/2. Now the probability that letters ON is selected from London is 2/4 and for Clifton it is 1/6. So the total probability is (1/2 * 2/4 + 1/2 * 1/6). Now the chance that it is from London is (1/2 * 2/4) / (1/2 * 2/4 + 1/2 * 1/6). I can't figure out what's wrong with my solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you are arguing that since there are two "on"s in "London" and only one in "Clifton", the fact that "on" is legible means it is twice as likely to have come from London as from Clifton. I'm not sure I agree with that reasoning, but assuming it is correct, it still makes no sense to say "let us assume that probability it came from London or Clifton is 1/2" when the problem is precisely to find that probability. If we take the probability the letter came form Clifton to be "p", the probability it came from London is "2p" and, if those are the only two possibilities, we must have p+ 2p= 3p= 1 so that p= 1/3 and 2p= 2/3.

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

A letter is known to have come either from London or Clifton; on the postmark only the two consecutive letters ON are legible; what is the chance that it came from London?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let us assume that probability that it came from London or Clifton is 1/2. Now the probability that letters ON is selected from London is 2/4 and for Clifton it is 1/6. So the total probability is (1/2 * 2/4 + 1/2 * 1/6). Now the chance that it is from London is (1/2 * 2/4) / (1/2 * 2/4 + 1/2 * 1/6). I can't figure out what's wrong with my solution.

You could look at the problem differently: 'Clifton' has 6 adjacent letter pairs ('cl', 'li', etc.) of which exactly one is 'on', while 'London' has 5 adjacent letter pairs ('lo', 'on',etc.) of which two are 'on'. If you start with an a priori probability of London or Clifton and assume a probability distribution over the letter pairs, you can find posterior (conditional) probabilities for London or Clifton, given 'on'.

HallsofIvy said:
I guess you are arguing that since there are two "on"s in "London" and only one in "Clifton", the fact that "on" is legible means it is twice as likely to have come from London as from Clifton. I'm not sure I agree with that reasoning, but assuming it is correct, it still makes no sense to say "let us assume that probability it came from London or Clifton is 1/2" when the problem is precisely to find that probability. If we take the probability the letter came form Clifton to be "p", the probability it came from London is "2p" and, if those are the only two possibilities, we must have p+ 2p= 3p= 1 so that p= 1/3 and 2p= 2/3.

But this answer is not correct.

Ray Vickson said:
You could look at the problem differently: 'Clifton' has 6 adjacent letter pairs ('cl', 'li', etc.) of which exactly one is 'on', while 'London' has 5 adjacent letter pairs ('lo', 'on',etc.) of which two are 'on'. If you start with an a priori probability of London or Clifton and assume a probability distribution over the letter pairs, you can find posterior (conditional) probabilities for London or Clifton, given 'on'.
I think that's pretty much what utkarshakash meant (the original 1/2 being the a priori probability), but went wrong in calculating 2/4 instead of 2/5 for two consecutives in London being "on".

Ray Vickson said:

This was a better method. Thanks

haruspex said:
I think that's pretty much what utkarshakash meant (the original 1/2 being the a priori probability), but went wrong in calculating 2/4 instead of 2/5 for two consecutives in London being "on".

Yes. I started with this method but instead of taking consecutives I assumed ON to be one letter. So this gave me a total of 4 letters in London out of which 2 were ON. And that's how everything messed up.

Related to What Is the Probability the Letter Came from London If 'ON' Is Visible?

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that a certain event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual observations or experiments and may differ from theoretical probability due to chance or other factors.

4. Can probability be greater than 1 or less than 0?

No, probability cannot be greater than 1 or less than 0. These values represent impossibility and certainty, respectively, and probabilities must fall between these values.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many fields such as statistics, finance, and science to make predictions and informed decisions. It is also used in everyday life, such as in games of chance, weather forecasting, and risk assessment.