What is the problem with point particles?

In summary, string theory replaces the point-like particles of particle physics with one-dimensional objects called strings. This is because the point-like nature of particles in quantum field theory can lead to problems, such as UV divergences. The strings in string theory do not have position eigenstates, but rather string-configuration eigenstates. This means that the strings themselves do not have a continuous structure, but rather behave like discrete "atoms" through which quantum waves can propagate. However, the strings are still described by continuous waves shorter than the Planck length. The fact that elementary particles are point-like means that they have no internal structure and their behavior is described by a point particle Hamiltonian. The position operator in quantum mechanics does not have eigenfunctions.
nnerik
When I read about string theory, I sometimes get a feeling that the pointlike nature of particles in QFT is a problem that needs to be fixed, but I have never seen an explanation of the problem. Is this correct, and if so, why?

Point in case (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory):

In physics, string theory is a theoretical framework in which thepoint-like particles of particle physics are replaced by one-dimensional objects called strings.​

And just to be sure, what does it mean that elementary particles are point-like in the first place? Does it mean anything besides that the particle has no internal structure? Because clearly the wave function is not point-like (although the position operator's eigen states are).

Physics news on Phys.org
nnerik said:
And just to be sure, what does it mean that elementary particles are point-like in the first place? Does it mean anything besides that the particle has no internal structure? Because clearly the wave function is not point-like (although the position operator's eigen states are).
As you said, the position eigenstates of particles are point-like. On the other hand, string theory does not have position eigenstates. It has string-configuration eigenstates, which are string-like rather than point-like.

Likes nnerik
nnerik said:
I sometimes get a feeling that the pointlike nature of particles in QFT is a problem that needs to be fixed, but I have never seen an explanation of the problem.
The problem is often explained, but under a different name. It is called the problem of UV divergences.

Likes bhobba and nnerik
Demystifier said:
The problem is often explained, but under a different name. It is called the problem of UV divergences.

Thanks for the pointer, this Wikipedia article helped. See the following quote (attributed to Bjorken and Drell):

"The field functions are continuous functions of continuous parameters x and t, and the changes in the fields at a point x are determined by properties of the fields infinitesimally close to the point x. For most wave fields (for example, sound waves and the vibrations of strings and membranes) such a description is an idealization which is valid for distances larger than the characteristic length which measures the granularity of the medium. For smaller distances these theories are modified in a profound way. [...] it is a gross and profound extrapolation of present experimental knowledge to assume that a wave description successful at 'large' distances (that is, atomic lengths ≈10-8 cm) may be extended to distances an indefinite number of orders of magnitude smaller (for example, to less than nuclear lengths ≈ 10-13 cm)"
The image that appears in my mind, is that the continuous fields of QFT in ST are replaced by a liquid of stringy "atoms" through which the (quantum) waves propagate. Now, I am sure that this rather classical and ether-like description is wrong, but how else does the stringyness do any good, if it does not quantize space itself like molecules "quantize" the air? And by the way, do strings really get rid of the continuum and infinitessimal points? Would not the vibrations of the strings themselves be described by continuous waves shorter than the Planck length? Could not these waves be described as point-like particles on the strings themselves?

Any explanation or pointer will be appreciated. :smile:

Demystifier said:
which are string-like rather than point-like.
The strings are one dimensional?

jerromyjon said:
The strings are one dimensional?
Why the question mark?

Demystifier said:
Why the question mark?
Because it was a question.

jerromyjon said:
Because it was a question.
Isn't the answer obvious?

Demystifier said:
Isn't the answer obvious?
It may be "obvious" as far as words go but I was trying to imagine the mathematical implications, and it is not obvious to me how that works.

nnerik said:

The particle ##\neq## the ##\psi## function. The former is a point particle, the latter is a function whose support is never reduced to merely one point.

By being a point particle, we mean that particle has no internal structure. In non-relativistic theory of Schroedinger's equation, it also means the Hamiltonian we use is that of a point particle, not of an extended particle or a field.

Math note: the position operator has no eigenfunctions.

Likes nnerik
Jano L. said:
Math note: the position operator has no eigenfunctions.

Hmmm. I think you should look into Rigged Hilbert Spaces.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Demystifier and nnerik

1. What are point particles?

Point particles are theoretical particles that are considered to have no size or volume, and are modeled as mathematical points in space. They are used to simplify calculations in certain physical theories.

2. What is the problem with point particles?

The problem with point particles is that they do not accurately represent the physical world. In reality, all particles have a certain size and volume, and cannot be infinitely small. This leads to discrepancies and limitations in physical theories that rely on point particles.

3. How do point particles differ from real particles?

Point particles differ from real particles in that they have no size or volume, while real particles have a definite size and can occupy space. Real particles also have physical properties, such as mass and charge, while point particles are purely mathematical constructs.

4. What are some consequences of using point particles in physical theories?

Using point particles in physical theories can lead to inaccuracies and limitations in predictions and explanations of physical phenomena. It also hinders our understanding of the fundamental nature of matter and the universe. Additionally, point particles cannot account for the effects of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality.

5. Are point particles still useful in scientific research?

While point particles have limitations, they are still useful in certain areas of scientific research. They are widely used in classical mechanics and can provide simplified models for certain physical systems. However, as our understanding of the universe evolves, scientists are also exploring alternative models to better explain the behavior of particles.