What is the process for finding a complex eigenvector?

In summary: My answer checks.In summary, when given a matrix A and a complex eigenvalue λa, you can find a single eigenvector that spans the eigenspace by row reducing the augmented matrix [(A-λaI)|0] and solving for the variables in the reduced row echelon form. In this case, the eigenvector is (1/2,1). Make sure to double check your row reduction for any mistakes.
Dgray101

Homework Statement

Given A = [ (3,-7),(1,-2) ] and λa = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] + i [itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] find a single eigenvector which spans the eigenspace.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I row reduced the matrix to get [(2, -5 + i[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]),(0,0 ] and from here we can write a solution as (x1,x2)=x2((1/2,1)) however that is not a complex eigenvector, it is just a real v etor. So Somewhere along the lines I am making a mistake in understanding how you solve for a complex eigenvector. I can do this in Rn very well, but this is throwing me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dgray101 said:

Homework Statement

Given A = [ (3,-7),(1,-2) ] and λa = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] + i [itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] find a single eigenvector which spans the eigenspace.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I row reduced the matrix to get [(2, -5 + i[itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex]),(0,0 ] and from here we can write a solution as (x1,x2)=x2((1/2,1)) however that is not a complex eigenvector, it is just a real v etor. So Somewhere along the lines I am making a mistake in understanding how you solve for a complex eigenvector. I can do this in Rn very well, but this is throwing me off.

I think you might be making a mistake in your row reduction. This is what I get:
$$\begin{bmatrix} 5/2 - (\sqrt{3}/2)i & -7 \\ 0 & 0\end{bmatrix}$$

May I ask how you did that because I keep getting the same answer even redoing the problem...

I think I did the similar thing to what you did, but instead I multiplied the top row by the complex conjugate to row reduce.

Dgray101 said:
May I ask how you did that because I keep getting the same answer even redoing the problem...

I started with this:
$$ \begin{bmatrix}3 - (1/2)(1 + \sqrt{3}i) & -7 \\ 1 & -2 - (1/2)(1 + \sqrt{3}i) \end{bmatrix}$$

That simplifies to
$$\begin{bmatrix}5/2 -i\sqrt{3}/2 & -7 \\ 1 & -5/2 - i\sqrt{3}/2 \end{bmatrix}$$

I added -1 times the top row to (5/2 - i√3/2) times the bottom row.

I checked my eigenvector, and for the given matrix, Ax = λx.

Related to What is the process for finding a complex eigenvector?

1. What are complex eigenvectors?

Complex eigenvectors are a type of eigenvector that has complex components. They are often represented as a combination of a real number and an imaginary number.

2. How are complex eigenvectors related to complex eigenvalues?

Complex eigenvectors are associated with complex eigenvalues in a similar way that real eigenvectors are associated with real eigenvalues. In a 2x2 matrix, complex eigenvectors are the solutions to the characteristic equation of the matrix, where the eigenvalues are complex numbers.

3. Can a 2x2 matrix have only complex eigenvectors?

Yes, a 2x2 matrix can have only complex eigenvectors if its eigenvalues are complex numbers. This means that the matrix does not have any real eigenvectors.

4. How are complex eigenvectors used in practical applications?

Complex eigenvectors are used in various applications, such as in quantum mechanics, signal processing, and control theory. They are used to describe the behavior of systems with complex dynamics and can help in understanding the stability and oscillatory behavior of these systems.

5. Are there any special properties of complex eigenvectors in a 2x2 matrix?

Yes, in a 2x2 matrix, complex eigenvectors are always orthogonal to each other. This means that they are perpendicular and do not share any common components. This property can be useful in solving systems of equations involving complex numbers.