What is the proof that x, x^2, x^3 form a basis of V?

In summary, the conversation discusses proving linear independence and spanning of a set of vectors in a given subspace, as well as finding a basis for another subspace. Each problem involves using the properties of polynomials to manipulate and prove the given conditions.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5586/screenshot20120121at328.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I propose the vectors [itex]x,x^2,x^3[/itex] form a basis of V. To test for linear independence, let [itex]0 = a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + a_3 x^3[/itex], where [itex]a \in R[/itex]. A polynomial is 0 iff all of its coefficients are zero. Thus, linear independence is proved. That is, [itex]a_1 = a_2 = a_3 = 0[/itex]

To prove that [itex]x,x^2,x^3[/itex] spans V, let [itex]p(x) = b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3 \in V[/itex], where [itex]b \in R[/itex]. We need numbers [itex]c_1,c_2,c_3[/itex] such that [itex]b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3 = c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + c_3 x^3[/itex]. This implies [itex]b_1 = c_1[/itex], [itex]b_2 = c_2[/itex], [itex]b_3 = c_3[/itex]. Thus, [itex]p(x) = c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + c_3 x^3[/itex] and clearly [itex]p(0) = c_1 (0) + c_2 (0) + c_3 (0) = 0[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]x,x^2,x^3[/itex] span V.

Am I doing this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the second part of the question:

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9069/screenshot20120121at350.png

I began with [itex]\int \frac{d}{dx} p(x) dx = 0x + c_1[/itex], where [itex]c_1 \in R[/itex]. Thus, I reasoned that p(x) must be of the form: [itex]c_1 + 0(x) + 0(x^2) + 0(x^3)[/itex]. A polynomial is zero iff all of its coefficients are zero. [itex]c_1[/itex] must necessarily equal zero in order for the zero vector to result. Thus, linear independence is proven. To show that [itex]c_1[/itex] spans S, let [itex]p(x) = b_1 + 0(x) + 0(x^2) + 0(x^3) \in S[/itex], where [itex]b_1 \in R[/itex]. We need [itex]p(x) = b_1 = c_1[/itex]. This implies [itex]b_1 = c_1[/itex]. So [itex]p(x) = c_1[/itex] and clearly [itex]\frac{d}{dx} p(x) =\frac{d}{dx} c_1 = 0[/itex]. Thus, [itex]c_1[/itex] spans S.

Man, I don't think I'm doing these right...

TranscendArcu said:

Homework Statement

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/5586/screenshot20120121at328.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I propose the vectors [itex]x,x^2,x^3[/itex] form a basis of V. To test for linear independence, let [itex]0 = a_1 x + a_2 x^2 + a_3 x^3[/itex], where [itex]a \in R[/itex]. A polynomial is 0 iff all of its coefficients are zero. Thus, linear independence is proved. That is, [itex]a_1 = a_2 = a_3 = 0[/itex]

To prove that [itex]x,x^2,x^3[/itex] spans V, let [itex]p(x) = b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3 \in V[/itex], where [itex]b \in R[/itex]. We need numbers [itex]c_1,c_2,c_3[/itex] such that [itex]b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3 = c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + c_3 x^3[/itex]. This implies [itex]b_1 = c_1[/itex], [itex]b_2 = c_2[/itex], [itex]b_3 = c_3[/itex]. Thus, [itex]p(x) = c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + c_3 x^3[/itex] and clearly [itex]p(0) = c_1 (0) + c_2 (0) + c_3 (0) = 0[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]x,x^2,x^3[/itex] span V.

Am I doing this right?
In the second part, you can't assume p(x) has the form ##b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3## right off, otherwise you're assuming what you're trying to prove. When you say ##p(x) \in V##, you know that p is a polynomial and that p(0)=0. From what you know about polynomials, you should be able deduce that p(x) has the form required, from which it follows that p(x) is in the span of {x, x2, x3}.

Okay. Can I assume that p(x) has the form [itex]b_0 +b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3[/itex]? But, clearly p(0) cannot equal zero unless [itex]b_0 = 0[/itex], which immediately gets us to the required form.

Is that better?

Yes, that's fine. Because you know V is a subspace of P3 and presumably you know that {1, x, x2, x3} is a basis for P3, you can write p(x) in that form.

This is the last problem. I need only find a basis.

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/7183/screenshot20120121at517.png

I propose that the vectors [itex]1,x^2[/itex] form a basis for W. To prove linear independence, we write, [itex]0 = a_0 + a_2 x^2[/itex] where [itex]a \in R[/itex]. A polynomial is zero iff all coefficients equal zero. To prove that [itex]1,x^2[/itex] span W let [itex]p(x) = b_0 + b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3[/itex], but [itex] b_1 = b_3 = 0[/itex] otherwise condition fails. We need numbers [itex]c_0, c_2[/itex] such that [itex]b_0 +b_2 x^2 = c_0 +c_2 x^2[/itex]. This implies that [itex]b_0 = c_0[/itex] and [itex]b_2 = c_2[/itex]. Thus [itex]p(x) = c_0 + c_2 x^2[/itex] in which case [itex]\forall x[/itex] [itex]p(x) = p(-x)[/itex], as desired. Thus [itex]1,x^2[/itex] form a basis for W.

TranscendArcu said:
This is the last problem. I need only find a basis.

http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/7183/screenshot20120121at517.png

I propose that the vectors [itex]1,x^2[/itex] form a basis for W. To prove linear independence, we write, [itex]0 = a_0 + a_2 x^2[/itex] where [itex]a \in R[/itex]. A polynomial is zero iff all coefficients equal zero. To prove that [itex]1,x^2[/itex] span W let [itex]p(x) = b_0 + b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3[/itex], but [itex] b_1 = b_3 = 0[/itex] otherwise condition fails.
You should go into more detail about why you must have b1=b3=0.

We need numbers [itex]c_0, c_2[/itex] such that [itex]b_0 +b_2 x^2 = c_0 +c_2 x^2[/itex]. This implies that [itex]b_0 = c_0[/itex] and [itex]b_2 = c_2[/itex]. Thus [itex]p(x) = c_0 + c_2 x^2[/itex] in which case [itex]\forall x[/itex] [itex]p(x) = p(-x)[/itex], as desired. Thus [itex]1,x^2[/itex] form a basis for W.
This part is unnecessary. After you show that b1=b3=0, you know that p(x)=b0+b2x2. Since it's a linear combination of 1 and x2, it's in the span of {1, x2}.

Should I say something like:

If [itex]p(x) = p(-x)[/itex] then it follows that all of the n-degree components of p(x) should be equal to their respective n-degree components of p(-x). However, clearly this can't be so since x ≠ -x (in the first degree) and (x)3 ≠ (-x)3 (in the third degree). Thus, in order to preserve the equality of the condition, it is necessary to zero these terms.

?

TranscendArcu said:
This is the second part of the question:

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/9069/screenshot20120121at350.png

I began with [itex]\int \frac{d}{dx} p(x) dx = 0x + c_1[/itex], where [itex]c_1 \in R[/itex]. Thus, I reasoned that p(x) must be of the form: [itex]c_1 + 0(x) + 0(x^2) + 0(x^3)[/itex]. A polynomial is zero iff all of its coefficients are zero. [itex]c_1[/itex] must necessarily equal zero in order for the zero vector to result. Thus, linear independence is proven. To show that [itex]c_1[/itex] spans S, let [itex]p(x) = b_1 + 0(x) + 0(x^2) + 0(x^3) \in S[/itex], where [itex]b_1 \in R[/itex]. We need [itex]p(x) = b_1 = c_1[/itex]. This implies [itex]b_1 = c_1[/itex]. So [itex]p(x) = c_1[/itex] and clearly [itex]\frac{d}{dx} p(x) =\frac{d}{dx} c_1 = 0[/itex]. Thus, [itex]c_1[/itex] spans S.
You made a slight error. You showed that p(x)∈S has the form p(x)=c1. The basis vector is 1, not c1, i.e. p(x) = c11. You want to show the vector 1 spans S, not c1 as you said.

Since you've already shown that p(x)∈S implies p(x)=c1=c11, you're done because you've shown that p(x) can be written as a linear combination of the set of vectors {1}.

TranscendArcu said:
Should I say something like:

If [itex]p(x) = p(-x)[/itex] then it follows that all of the n-degree components of p(x) should be equal to their respective n-degree components of p(-x). However, clearly this can't be so since x ≠ -x (in the first degree) and (x)3 = (-x)3 (in the third degree). Thus, in order to preserve the equality of the condition, it is necessary to zero these terms.

?
It would be more straightforward to let ##p(x) = b_0 + b_1 x + b_2 x^2 + b_3 x^3## and calculate g(x)=p(x)-p(-x). Then show that g(x)=0 implies b1=b3=0.

Related to What is the proof that x, x^2, x^3 form a basis of V?

1. What is a subspace and why is it important in linear algebra?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains all the properties of a vector space. It is important in linear algebra because it allows us to simplify complex problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

2. How do you find the basis of a subspace?

To find the basis of a subspace, you need to find a set of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. These vectors are known as the basis vectors and they form a basis for the subspace.

3. Can a subspace have more than one basis?

Yes, a subspace can have multiple bases. This is because there can be more than one set of linearly independent vectors that span the same subspace. However, all bases for a given subspace will have the same number of basis vectors.

4. How do you determine if a set of vectors forms a basis for a subspace?

A set of vectors forms a basis for a subspace if they are linearly independent and span the subspace. This means that the vectors cannot be written as a linear combination of each other and that they can be used to represent any vector in the subspace.

5. Can a subspace have an infinite basis?

Yes, a subspace can have an infinite basis. This occurs when the subspace is infinite-dimensional, meaning that it contains an infinite number of vectors. In this case, the basis will also have an infinite number of basis vectors.