What is the purpose of computing the transpose of a matrix?

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix Transpose
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
shamieh
Messages
538
Reaction score
0
I am told to compute $$C^T$$ .. what is this implying? I'm guessing maybe the transpose? Is this correct? Also should I post matrix related questions here or in the pre-calculus forum? This is a discrete mathematics class I am using these things in by the way.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The transpose of an $m$-by-$n$ matrix $A$ is the $n$-by-$m$ matrix $A^T$ (also denoted $A^{tr}$ or $^tA$) formed by turning rows into columns and vice versa.

Matrices are generally not considered part of discrete mathematics as far as I have seen. They are more an algebraic topic, used in elementary form in algebra, or more advanced use in linear algebra.

Your previous question about matrices fell into the former category I felt, and that's why I moved it to the Pre-Calculus forum. I will move this one there as well. :D
 
The first row becomes the first column, the second row becomes the second column, etc.