What is the purpose of resistors in electrical circuits?

In summary, the purpose of a resistor in a circuit is to act as a load and manipulate the electrical power. Hooking it up in series can be useful for creating different voltages at different parts of the circuit or in combination with a capacitance as an RC circuit.
Larrytsai
I looked this up, and found that it limits the current going through, but say if we have a c ircuit with a power source and 1 resistor, the current through the resistor is the current coming out of the resistor.

I know if you hook the resistor up in parallel that is not the case, but in some circuits I have seen, they hook up the resistor in series, but what is the point?

Physics news on Phys.org
The current going in certainly is the current going out, but that doesn't mean it's the current you'd get without the resistor.

Once the resistor is placed in you limit the entire circuit current immediately (series).

Hmmm. The broad, generic answer that your question seems to seek would be something like this: Without any resistance in the circuit, what you have, of course, is a dead short. The purpose of any electrical circuit, electronic or otherwise, is to power some kind of load which itself provides an amount of resistance and is thus some form of resistor. From this it would seem reasonable to say that the purpose of any resistor in a circuit then is to act as a load with a view to in some way manipulating the electrical power. To understand the reasons why you would want to manipulate the electrical power in the various ways possible is of course, a question of the study of electronics. Is that what you were looking for?

Larrytsai said:
I looked this up, and found that it limits the current going through, but say if we have a c ircuit with a power source and 1 resistor, the current through the resistor is the current coming out of the resistor.

I know if you hook the resistor up in parallel that is not the case, but in some circuits I have seen, they hook up the resistor in series, but what is the point?

Hooking them up in a series could be useful if, for example, you need different voltages at different parts of the circuit, as there will be a certain voltage after the resistor depending on current and resistance, i.e. if you want to use devices on the same line that require different voltages.

As SamirS says, as a voltage divider. Also in combination with a capacitance, as an RC circuit to provide a desired frequency response.

What is the purpose of resistors in electrical circuits?

Resistors are electronic components that are used to limit or control the flow of electric current in a circuit. They are made of materials that have high resistance, which means they resist the flow of electricity.

Why do we need resistors in electrical circuits?

Resistors are necessary in electrical circuits for a variety of reasons. They can be used to reduce the amount of current flowing through a specific part of a circuit, to prevent damage to components, to control the voltage levels, or to create specific voltage drops.

How do resistors work in electrical circuits?

Resistors work by converting electrical energy into heat. This process is called resistance and is caused by the collisions of electrons with the atoms in the resistor material. The resistance of a resistor is measured in ohms and determines the amount of current that can flow through it.

What are the different types of resistors used in electrical circuits?

There are many different types of resistors used in electrical circuits, including fixed resistors, variable resistors, and specialized resistors such as thermistors and photoresistors. The type of resistor used depends on the specific application and the desired resistance value.

Can resistors be connected in different ways in electrical circuits?

Yes, resistors can be connected in different ways in electrical circuits, such as series or parallel connections. In a series connection, the resistors are connected end-to-end, and the same current flows through all of them. In a parallel connection, the resistors are connected side by side, and the voltage across each resistor is the same. These different connections allow for different levels of resistance and can be used to achieve specific goals in a circuit.