What is the quantum mechanical difference between an eigenstate/function/vector?

In summary, there are different terms used to refer to the same concept of eigenvalues and eigenvectors in physics and mathematics. These terms, such as eigenstate, eigenfunction, and eigenvector, are often used interchangeably and can cause confusion. However, they all refer to a ket and are just different ways of representing the same concept. Despite the confusion, it is important to become comfortable with the different terms and their usage in different contexts.
jeebs
I see these terms used a lot and at times they seem to be used interchangeably. I am aware of the eigenvalue equation being applied to the normal expression of operators or their matrix versions, eg. [tex] Hu = \lambda [/tex] [tex] \lambda [/tex]u but I see this thing called u being referred to as eigenstate, eigenfunction or eigenvector (or sometimes even just vector) all the time.
What's the deal with this?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right, these terms are used interchangably.

phyzguy said:
You're right, these terms are used interchangably.

but why, this surely causes needless confusion?

These things are not really under anyone's control - different terms just start up and get perpetuated. That's the way language is. There are many examples of things like this - physicists and mathematicians use different terms and different conventions for the same things in many cases. Look at all of the different conventions for Fourier transforms, for example - some people put the 2*pi in one place, some in another. Or why do some people use a (+---) metric signature and other people use a (-+++) signature? Or why do I call it a wrench, while the Brits call it a spanner? All you can do is live with it and become comfortable with the different terms.

phyzguy said:
These things are not really under anyone's control - different terms just start up and get perpetuated. That's the way language is. There are many examples of things like this - physicists and mathematicians use different terms and different conventions for the same things in many cases. Look at all of the different conventions for Fourier transforms, for example - some people put the 2*pi in one place, some in another. Or why do some people use a (+---) metric signature and other people use a (-+++) signature? Or why do I call it a wrench, while the Brits call it a spanner? All you can do is live with it and become comfortable with the different terms.

fair do's I suppose. it just gets confusing when even your own lecturer's notes are switching between the terms...

Tell me about it. I used to have a professor who would ask, "What did I call this the last time?"

They all mean the same thing, they are all talking about a ket. I find that typically people will say eigenstate and eigenfunction when talking about a general ket, eigenfunction if they have a particular wave function, and they say eigenvector when the ket is in a matrix form (such as spinors).

It's kind of like how in differential equations you would solve the characteristic equation, and people would say, oh you found the eigenvalues. And at the time you were like, eigenvalues, huh, I never used any matrices. Then later you learned that, oh the system can be represented in another way, and I really have been solving for eigenvalues.

1. What is an eigenstate/function/vector in quantum mechanics?

An eigenstate, also known as an eigenfunction or eigenvector, is a state or function in quantum mechanics that represents a specific measurable property of a physical system. It is a state that remains unchanged under the action of a particular operator, known as the eigenvalue, and is used to describe the state of a quantum system at a specific moment in time.

2. How does an eigenstate differ from a superposition state?

An eigenstate is a state that represents a specific, well-defined property of a quantum system, while a superposition state is a combination of multiple eigenstates with different probabilities. In other words, an eigenstate is a single, definite state, while a superposition state is a combination of several possible states.

3. What is the significance of eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Eigenstates are important in quantum mechanics because they provide a complete set of states that can be used to describe the state of a quantum system. They also allow for the calculation of the probability of a system being in a particular state, as well as the evolution of the system over time.

4. How are eigenstates related to the Schrödinger equation?

In the Schrödinger equation, the eigenstates are the stationary states that represent the solutions to the equation. These eigenstates have specific energy values, known as eigenvalues, and they form a basis for the states of a quantum system. The time evolution of a quantum system can be described by the linear combination of these eigenstates.

5. Can eigenstates be observed in experiments?

No, eigenstates cannot be observed directly in experiments. This is because any measurement of a quantum system will collapse it into one of its eigenstates, making it impossible to observe the superposition of eigenstates. However, the effects of eigenstates can be observed through measurements of the system's properties, such as energy or momentum.