Count to 20 with Fingers: Ideas & Tips

• Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Count
In summary, there were several different ideas presented for counting to 20 using only the fingers of your hands. One suggestion was to use 4 fingers on one hand to count groups of 5 from the other. Another idea was to use a gray code for quick and efficient counting. Someone also mentioned counting in binary which could get you to 31 on just one hand. There was also a suggestion to use combinatorics and factorials to count up to 120 on one hand. Another method involved using specific points on the fingers and knuckles for different numbers. Finally, it was suggested to extend binary counting to include fingers and toes, allowing for counting up to almost two weeks.
kaleidoscope
I'm trying to find the most intuitive way to count to 20 using only the fingers of your hands. Right now my favorite is using 4 fingers on one hand to count groups of 5 from the other. Any other ideas? Please participate! :smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I don't know if this counts but I was taught
  1. Left thumb raised
  2. Left thumb and left index finger raised
  3. Left thumb, index and middle
  4. Left thumb, index, middle, ring
  5. All fingers (and thumb) of the left hand
  6. All except thumb
  7. Middle, ring, little fingers
  8. Ring and little finger raised
  9. Only little finger raised
This gives 0~9 on one hand. So the other hand counts the tens column.
Come to think about it, it seems having the ones column on right hand is probably more intuitive.

I have a way of counting to 99 on both hands, might be a bit tricky to write out but I'll give it my best shot!
Count to 4 on your right hand using only your fingers, then hold out the thumb on its own for 5, and count up to 9 with the fingers til we have the whole hand out.
Now we can add 1 finger on the left hand for 10. If we start again and repeat the process on the right hand then we can add 20 to the left hand and 30 etc. up to 99 :approve:

pwsnafu said:
I don't know if this counts but I was taught
  1. Left thumb raised
  2. Left thumb and left index finger raised
  3. Left thumb, index and middle
  4. Left thumb, index, middle, ring
  5. All fingers (and thumb) of the left hand
  6. All except thumb
  7. Middle, ring, little fingers
  8. Ring and little finger raised
  9. Only little finger raised
This gives 0~9 on one hand. So the other hand counts the tens column.
Come to think about it, it seems having the ones column on right hand is probably more intuitive.

Just count in binary. You can get to31 on just one hand.

Mensanator said:
I'd be weary of doing this in class. Especially with 100 and 101

Mensanator said:

We want the quickest way, so we should use a gray code, so you only have to move one finger at the time.

Mensanator said:

Sounds like 2^10 masterclass :D

I can count to 120 on one hand.

5! = 120, just take the order into consideration.

@disregarthat what a wonderful combinatorics joke ;)

I like this way... Starting from left to right with palms down, the tip of the left pinky is 1. Counting through the fingers, the tip of the right pinky is 10. The top knuckle of the left pinky is 11 and so forth. Going though the knuckles, you get to forty (I count the thumb joints at the base of the palm as 35 and 36). 41- 50 are no tips and no knuckles on each hand.

Exocet said:
I have a way of counting to 99 on both hands, might be a bit tricky to write out but I'll give it my best shot!
Count to 4 on your right hand using only your fingers, then hold out the thumb on its own for 5, and count up to 9 with the fingers til we have the whole hand out.
Now we can add 1 finger on the left hand for 10. If we start again and repeat the process on the right hand then we can add 20 to the left hand and 30 etc. up to 99 :approve:

http://www.cs.iupui.edu/~aharris/chis/chis.html. This is the best way of counting on your fingers (especially if you have a small crew and have to count how many people have evacuated, all while holding a checklist in one hand).

Mensanator said:

This works well. If you extend this to counting on all of your fingers and toes, you can count for almost two weeks!

Related to Count to 20 with Fingers: Ideas & Tips

1. What is the purpose of counting to 20 with fingers?

The purpose of counting to 20 with fingers is to help children develop their number sense and learn basic counting skills. It also serves as a visual aid to support their understanding of numbers and their relationship to one another.

2. At what age should a child be able to count to 20 with fingers?

Most children are able to count to 20 with fingers by the age of 5 or 6. However, every child develops at their own pace, so some may learn this skill earlier or later.

3. How can I make counting to 20 with fingers more engaging for children?

There are many ways to make counting to 20 with fingers more engaging for children. You can use different finger movements, incorporate songs or rhymes, or use objects to represent each number. You can also challenge them to count backwards or skip count using their fingers.

4. Are there any benefits to counting to 20 with fingers?

Yes, there are several benefits to counting to 20 with fingers. It helps children develop their fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and spatial awareness. It also encourages them to think critically and problem solve as they figure out different ways to represent numbers with their fingers.

5. Can counting to 20 with fingers be used for more advanced math concepts?

Yes, counting to 20 with fingers can be used as a foundation for more advanced math concepts such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication. It can also be used to introduce the concept of place value and help children understand larger numbers.