What is the range of values for stability using the Routh-Hurwitz criterion?

• Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
In summary, according to the Routh-Hurwitz criterion, for the system ##s^3 + 3s^2 + 2(1 + K_p)s + 2K_i = 0## to be stable, the following conditions must be met: ##K_p > -1##, ##K_i > 0##, and ##\frac{K_i}{K_p} \leq 3##. Additionally, the condition ##K_i \leq 3(1 + K_p)## is necessary and sufficient for stability, but the weaker condition ##\frac{K_i}{K_p} \leq 3## is sufficient.
Dustinsfl

Homework Statement

Find the stability of ##s^3 + 3s^2 + 2(1 + K_p)s + 2K_i = 0##.

Homework Equations

Routh-Hurwitz criterion

The Attempt at a Solution

By the Routh-Hurwitz stability criterion, we have
$$
\begin{array}{ccc}
s^3 & 1 & 2(1 + K_p)\\
s^2 & 3 & 2K_i\\
s^1 & \frac{6(1 + K_p) - 2K_i}{3} & 0\\
s^0 & 2K_i & 0
\end{array}
$$
From the ##s^3## line, we have that ##2(1 + K_p) > 0##; therefore, ##K_p > -1##. From the ##s^2## and ##s^0## line, we have that ##2K_i > 0##; thus, ##K_i > 0##. From the ##s^1## line, we have that ##6K_p - 2K_i + 6 > 0##; therefore,
$$
\frac{K_i}{K_p} < \frac{3}{K_p} + 3.
$$
I am supposed to conclude
$$
0 < \frac{K_i}{K_p} < 13.5.
$$
From line ##s^2##, we get greater than zero, but what do I do to go from ##\frac{3}{K_p} + 3## to ##13.5##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest I do not know. I went through the routh-Hurwitz criterion and got the same results you did

If you plug in 10 for ki and 1 for kp the system is unstable (i ran it in matlab)
therefore the conclusion that 0<ki/kp<13.5 is incorrect

I recommend confirming that all the information you provided us is correct, and all the information provided to you is correct.

donpacino said:
To be honest I do not know. I went through the routh-Hurwitz criterion and got the same results you did

If you plug in 10 for ki and 1 for kp the system is unstable (i ran it in matlab)
therefore the conclusion that 0<ki/kp<13.5 is incorrect

I recommend confirming that all the information you provided us is correct, and all the information provided to you is correct.

Is the information from the book:
I had to use the link since the image appears too big on the site.
http://i.imgur.com/M5Ks5up.jpg?1

M5Ks5up.jpg

Last edited:
Must be an error in your book. Your Routh table is correct, so to avoid any sign changes in the first column for ##K_p > 0, K_i > 0##, we must have:
[tex]
\begin{align}
6(1 + K_p) - 2K_i \geq 0 \Leftrightarrow K_i \leq 3(1 + K_p) \quad (1)
\end{align}
[/tex]
Although (1) being true is necessary and sufficient for stability, the weaker condition:
[tex]
K_i \leq 3K_p \Leftrightarrow \frac{K_i}{K_p} \leq 3
[/tex]
is sufficient.

I would like to point out that the Routh-Hurwitz criterion is a mathematical tool used to determine the stability of a system based on its characteristic equation. It is important to note that this criterion only provides a necessary condition for stability, not a sufficient one. Therefore, further analysis and testing may be needed to fully determine the stability of a system.

Regarding the specific problem at hand, the conclusion that ##\frac{K_i}{K_p} < 13.5## can be obtained by setting the expression ##\frac{3}{K_p} + 3## to a maximum value of 13.5, which occurs when ##K_p = \frac{1}{2}##. Therefore, the range of values for ##K_i## and ##K_p## that satisfy the Routh-Hurwitz criterion and ensure stability is ##0 < K_i < 13.5K_p## and ##K_p > \frac{1}{2}##. However, as mentioned earlier, further analysis and testing may be needed to fully determine the stability of the system.

1. What is the Routh-Hurwitz criterion?

The Routh-Hurwitz criterion is a mathematical tool used to determine the stability of a linear system. It is based on the coefficients of the characteristic polynomial of the system and uses a table or algorithm to check for the presence of roots in the right half-plane of the complex plane.

2. How is the Routh-Hurwitz table constructed?

The Routh-Hurwitz table is constructed by arranging the coefficients of the characteristic polynomial in a table, with the first row containing the even powers of the variable and the second row containing the odd powers. The remaining rows are then calculated using a specific algorithm.

3. What does the Routh-Hurwitz criterion indicate?

The Routh-Hurwitz criterion indicates the stability of a system by checking for the presence of roots in the right half-plane of the complex plane. If there are no roots in this region, the system is considered stable. If there are roots in the right half-plane, the system is considered unstable.

4. What is the significance of the Routh-Hurwitz criterion?

The Routh-Hurwitz criterion is an important tool in control systems and signal processing, as it allows for the quick and efficient determination of system stability. It is also used in the design and analysis of feedback control systems to ensure stability and robustness.

5. What are the limitations of the Routh-Hurwitz criterion?

The Routh-Hurwitz criterion is only applicable to linear systems with constant coefficients. It also cannot determine the exact location of unstable roots, only their presence. Additionally, it cannot be used for systems with time delays or varying coefficients.