What is the real definition of foot-candle?

• Thread starter Vector1962
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, according to online dictionaries, there are two definitions for the unit foot-candle - one with a radius of one foot and one with a radius of one foot and a point source of one candlepower in the center. There is a reputable science organization with a documented and usable "foot-candle" unit definition, but it is the second definition.
Vector1962
I've searched around the internet and thought it would be a simple thing find and perhaps it is, but the more I dig the worse it becomes. According to online dictionary, 1 foot-candle is the amount of light from a 1 lumen light source on 1 sft of surface area at a distance of 1 foot. Sounded reasonable. However another source indicates that 1 foot-candle is the amount of light on the surface of a sphere with radius of 1 foot with 1 lumen source at center. Also, sounds reasonable. Unless I'm mistaken these are totally different values. It comes across that there is a "rule of thumb foot-candle", "a lighting engineering foot-candle" and a "physics foot-candle". My question is there a reputable science organization with a documented and usable "foot-candle" unit definition?

<<moderator's note: bold text changed to normal text>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The definition is the first one. I suggest providing your source for the second, so we can look at it and try to see what's wrong. As for sources, I'm sure any into physics textbook should include the units. You could also search NIST for their use.

Likes anorlunda
The following from wiki, along with other sites, "The unit foot-candle is defined as the amount of illumination the inside surface of a one-foot-radius sphere would be receiving if there were a uniform point source of one candela in the exact center of the sphere". The reason I thought it was this definition is because this is how radiant energy from the sun is calculated using Stephen-Boltzmann equation.

For what it's worth... Just read a paper from the University of Berkeley and they're using the wiki definition.

Vector1962 said:
The following from wiki, along with other sites, "The unit foot-candle is defined as the amount of illumination the inside surface of a one-foot-radius sphere would be receiving if there were a uniform point source of one candela in the exact center of the sphere". The reason I thought it was this definition is because this is how radiant energy from the sun is calculated using Stephen-Boltzmann equation.
Hmm...I guess maybe I misunderstood; this is a unit of intensity, not power, which means it is independent of area. So either would be true.

Likes Dale
"1 sft of surface area at a distance of 1 foot" implies to me that they mean a spherical surface, which is the only type where every point is at the same 1 foot distance. The two definitions are identical.

Likes russ_watters
Thank you. I didn't notice that the second derivation did not say 'on one square foot of the surface of a sphere'.

What is the real definition of foot-candle?

The real definition of foot-candle is a unit of measurement used to quantify the amount of light falling on a surface. It is defined as the amount of light that falls on a one square foot area of a surface that is one foot away from a single candle.

How is foot-candle different from other units of light measurement?

Foot-candle is different from other units of light measurement, such as lux or lumen, because it takes into account the distance between the light source and the surface being illuminated. Lux and lumen measure the amount of light at the source, while foot-candle measures the amount of light that actually reaches a surface.

Why is foot-candle used in scientific research?

Foot-candle is used in scientific research because it provides a standardized unit of measurement for the amount of light falling on a surface. This is important for conducting experiments and comparing results across different studies.

How is foot-candle measured?

Foot-candle is measured using a light meter, which is a device that measures the intensity of light in a given area. The light meter has a sensor that is pointed towards the light source and gives a reading in foot-candles.

What is the recommended foot-candle level for different activities?

The recommended foot-candle level can vary depending on the activity being performed. For example, tasks requiring detailed work, such as reading or writing, typically require a higher foot-candle level (around 50-100 foot-candles), while general activities like walking or socializing may only require 10-20 foot-candles. Safety regulations may also dictate specific foot-candle levels for certain work environments.