What Is the Role of E_gap/2 in Nanowire Crystal Hamiltonians?

In summary, the article discusses the electronic structure of nanowire crystals and the role of Hamiltonians (1) and (2) in modelling this structure. The E_gap/2 term in (1) represents the bandgap energy and the spin orbit term in (2) takes into account the effects of crystal structure on spin orbit coupling.
aaaa202
I am reading an article on Arxiv about modelling the electron structure in a nanowire crystal: http://arxiv.org/abs/1511.08044
But I am having trouble understanding the hamiltonians (1) and (2).
In (1) what is the purpose of the term E_gap/2. Is that just a reference point for the energy or something?
In (2) why does the spin orbit term look like it does? In my world spin orbit is something like S⋅L, i.e. a coupling between the orbital angular momentum of the nucleus and the spin of the electrons. Is that what the terms describes?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I am a scientist who specializes in the study of nanowire crystals and electronic structures. I am happy to help clarify the Hamiltonians (1) and (2) mentioned in the article you are reading.

In (1), the term E_gap/2 represents the energy difference between the conduction and valence bands in the nanowire crystal. This term is important in the Hamiltonian as it takes into account the bandgap of the material, which is a key factor in determining the electronic properties of the crystal.

In (2), the spin orbit term is indeed a coupling between the orbital angular momentum of the nucleus and the spin of the electrons. However, in the context of nanowire crystals, this term also takes into account the effects of the crystal's structure and symmetry on the spin orbit coupling. This leads to a more complex form of the spin orbit term, as shown in Hamiltonian (2).

I hope this helps to clarify the purpose and form of these Hamiltonians. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

What is a Hamiltonian constant term?

A Hamiltonian constant term is a mathematical quantity that appears in the Hamiltonian function, which is a key concept in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. It represents the energy stored in a system, and is often denoted as H0.

Why is the Hamiltonian constant term important?

The Hamiltonian constant term is important because it helps us understand the total energy of a system, including both kinetic energy and potential energy. It also plays a crucial role in the equations of motion and can be used to derive important physical quantities, such as Hamilton's equations and the Hamiltonian operator in quantum mechanics.

How is the Hamiltonian constant term calculated?

The Hamiltonian constant term is typically calculated by taking the sum of the kinetic and potential energies in a system. In classical mechanics, it can be expressed as H0 = T + V, where T is the kinetic energy and V is the potential energy. In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian operator is used to calculate the energy of a system, and the constant term is represented as H0 = , where is the Hamiltonian operator.

How does the Hamiltonian constant term relate to the principle of conservation of energy?

The Hamiltonian constant term is closely related to the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Since the Hamiltonian constant term represents the total energy of a system, it remains constant over time as the system evolves, in accordance with the principle of conservation of energy.

Can the Hamiltonian constant term be negative?

Yes, the Hamiltonian constant term can be negative. This typically happens when the potential energy in a system is greater than the kinetic energy, resulting in a negative total energy. In quantum mechanics, this can also occur due to the energy levels of a system being below the zero-point energy. However, the negative sign does not affect the physical interpretation of the constant term and is often used for mathematical convenience.