What is the scope for aerospace engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to join an undergraduate course in aerospace engineering and their desire to do further studies in other countries due to limited job opportunities in their current country. However, there may be difficulties in getting jobs in other countries due to citizenship requirements in the aerospace sector. The conversation also delves into the basics of aerospace engineering, the major employers in the industry, and potential options for further education and career advancement. The issue of foreign nationals working in the US aerospace industry is also brought up, with the mention of ITAR rules and the challenges non-US citizens may face in obtaining jobs at companies like Boeing and Lockheed. Overall, the conversation highlights the various considerations and challenges for someone interested in pursuing a career in aerospace engineering
Titan97
Gold Member
I am planning to join an undergraduate course in aerospace engineering. There are not much jobs in my country. I wish to do further studies in other countries (I don't want to stay here). I heard that getting jobs in other countries will be difficult because you need citizenship to work in their aerospace sector (clarification needed).
  1. What are the job opportunities in your country
  2. What are the options for further study after undergraduate course in aerospace engineering.
(This is where I plan to join: http://www.ae.iitm.ac.in/index.htm)

Physics news on Phys.org
My experience in aircraft is from the maintenance side, not the engineering, but I was heavily interested in aeronautical engineering at one time before my academic pursuits took me elsewhere, and I eventually served as a career adviser at a major university in Texas, USA for a time.

When we speak the term "aerospace" it means what "aeronautical" used to convey, except that today low Earth orbit is now considered a partial component. Most of the basic education, until you specialize, would focus on aerodynamics, mechanical engineering, mathematical analysis, with lab components including basic design, wind tunnel testing, stress loading, etc.

It is in a way a "capstone" engineering science, bringing together multiple disciplines into one.

If your math is outstanding, you will have no trouble. If your math is merely good, brush up now. My math skills were what kept me from pursuing this endeavor.

In the US, there are major employers for aerospace (Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon etc,) and there are many subcontractors that both supply them directly and provide contract maintenance for civilian airlines and the military. Different venture capitalists have launched their own private space ventures; close to my home, SpaceX has a rocket engine testing facility, and a division of Raytheon provides avionics refits and aerodynamics modifications.

Boeing and Airbus are really competitive. They both are major project contractors, meaning they will take on huge aerospace projects and manage them, not just build airliners. I wonder if either of them would have a program to help an international student get an education either in their country of origin or the country where incorporated/manufactured/managed? They may even have been involved in some of India's recent space efforts, even if just lending a hand out of good will. It's not outside the realm of possibility. I'd look into it.

Once you have all of the qualifications, a US work visa shouldn't be a problem, but I am not a member of US Immigration and am no authority on the matter.

EDIT: Go here and read the thread on questions a US student has on becoming an AS engineer. They're a bit more basic, but there are two engineers with posts in it, Dr. Courtney, who has taught at the Air Force Academy, and boneh3ad, a Science Advisor, who is an aerospace engineer.

Last edited:
My math part is good. Boeing provides scholarship programs in some colleges here. (http://www.ae.iitkgp.ernet.in/boeing/index.htm [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes johnnyrev
Excellent, I knew one of the major manufacturers would have some interest in your chosen region. Keep that math on top. Fluid mechanics is a part of aerospace engineering, so the math will be difficult. As a maintenance guy, I was working with already established data. I've seen some of boneh3ad's discussion on here, and it is definitely out of my league. I'd maybe private message him for more advice.

//edits for clarity//

The issue or foreign nationals in the U.S. is that there is a sizable portion of the aerospace industry that is defense-related, and so foreign nationals have a very hard time getting into those positions. That said, there's a sizable civilian aerospace industry as well, so there are still opportunities. There are just fewer of them. If you become a permanent resident (green card) then more opportunities should be available, and even more will open up if you become a citizen.

Regarding continuing education, there are plenty of options there. Nearly every program offering a BS in aerospace engineering also offers graduate degrees in the field. There are thesis-based and coursework-based options for master's degrees as well as the option of a Ph.D. You just have to settle on some career goals before making that decision, as the different degrees set you up for different outcomes.

Likes johnnyrev
johnnyrev said:
Once you have all of the qualifications, a US work visa shouldn't be a problem, but I am not a member of US Immigration and am no authority on the matter.
I don't think it's going to be that easy. Because of ITAR rules, this is not going to be a trivial task. US aerospace companies can't hire non-US citiziens easily, even if they want to. You need to be a US citizien to work in companies like Boeing, Lockheed, and obtaining a citizenship is a slow process that can take years.
I did a lot of research into that, actually, as a non-US citizen.

Likes johnnyrev
ramzerimar said:
I don't think it's going to be that easy. Because of ITAR rules, this is not going to be a trivial task. US aerospace companies can't hire non-US citiziens easily, even if they want to. You need to be a US citizien to work in companies like Boeing, Lockheed, and obtaining a citizenship is a slow process that can take years.
I did a lot of research into that, actually, as a non-US citizen.

This is why a lot of foreign students come here to attend graduate school in aerospace engineering. They can work on a degree while earning credit toward that time living in the country to eventually get their citizenship and open the door into all of those jobs. It's still a daunting task, though. The system wasn't designed to allow a large number of foreigners into those sorts of jobs, for better or worse. That said, I know people who have done it.

I am not specific about US. The opportunities here in my country is less.

I went through the syllabus of aerospace engineering. It seems interesting.

boneh3ad said:
The system wasn't designed to allow a large number of foreigners into those sorts of jobs, for better or worse.

What are "those sort of jobs"?

@johnnyrev I like fluid mechanics. (I already did a course in fluids in high school and i liked it + I read articles in internet)

Last edited:
Likes johnnyrev
Titan97 said:
I am not specific about US. The opportunities here in my country is less.

I am simply only familiar with the US. Someone else here will have to chime in about other countries.

Titan97 said:
What are "those sort of jobs"?

Jobs working on weapon systems. In the US, as a foreign national, you won't really have the chance to work on fighter jets until you become a citizen, for example. You could still work on things like the Boeing 737 or engines and things like that as long as you can get someone to be willing to sponsor your visa.

Titan97 said:
I like fluid mechanics. (I already did a course in fluids in high school and i liked it + I read articles in internet)

Dang, my high school didn't offer anything close to fluid mechanics.

Likes Titan97 and johnnyrev
boneh3ad said:
Dang, my high school didn't offer anything close to fluid mechanics.

The only class in my HS with the word "mechanics" was Power Mechanics, where we learned to fix snowmobiles.

We did have the option to stay in an extra 13th year to enroll in A&P courses through the University of Alaska Fairbanks paid for by the school district, which I did :)

Likes Titan97

1. What is aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. It combines principles from various fields such as physics, mathematics, and materials science to create and improve aviation and space technologies.

2. What career opportunities are available in aerospace engineering?

Aerospace engineers can work in a variety of industries, including commercial and military aircraft manufacturing, space exploration and research, and government agencies. They can also specialize in different areas such as aerodynamics, propulsion, avionics, or structures.

3. Is there a demand for aerospace engineers?

Yes, there is a growing demand for aerospace engineers in the current job market. With the increase in air travel and advancements in space exploration, the need for skilled aerospace engineers is expected to continue to rise in the future.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in aerospace engineering?

A successful career in aerospace engineering requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Other important skills include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team.

5. What is the scope for aerospace engineering in the future?

The scope for aerospace engineering is expected to expand in the future as technology continues to advance. There will likely be a high demand for engineers who are knowledgeable in emerging fields such as unmanned aerial vehicles, supersonic and hypersonic flight, and space tourism. Additionally, the need for sustainable and environmentally-friendly aircraft and spacecraft will also create new opportunities for aerospace engineers.