What is the solution to POTW #283?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, POTW #283 is a weekly problem-solving challenge in the scientific community that aims to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is unique because it covers various scientific disciplines and allows for collaboration and discussions among members. The solution to POTW #283 varies and is not a single answer, and it is open to all members of the scientific community.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Evaluate the integral
$$\int_{-1}^1 \left(\frac{1-x}{1+x}\right)^{\!\!a} \frac{dx}{(x - b)^2}$$
where $0 < a < 1$ and $b > 1$.

-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi all,

Due to the Christmas holiday, solutions to the graduate and university POTW will be posted next week. As for this graduate problem, you might want to consider a contour integral involving a dogbone-like contour.

No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
Consider the contour integral $\int_C (z - 1)^a (z + 1)^{-a} (z - b)^{-2}\, dz$ where $C$ is a dogbone contour around $-1$ and $1$. Since $(z - b)^{-2}$ as a pole of order $2$ at $z = b$ (which is outside the contour) and is $O(\lvert z\rvert^{-2})$ as $\lvert z\rvert \to \infty$, then since the integrand is analytic at infinity, it follows from the residue theorem that

$$(e^{-i\pi a} - e^{i\pi a}) \int_{-1}^1 (1 - x)^a(1 + x)^{-a} (x - b)^{-2}\, dx = -2\pi i\operatorname{Res}\limits_{z = b} (z - 1)^a(z + 1)^{-a}(z - b)^{-2}$$

The residue at $z = b$ is $2a\,(b - 1)^{a - 1}(b + 1)^{-a-1}$ and $e^{-i\pi a} - e^{i\pi a} = -2i\sin(\pi \mu)$. Therefore $$-2i\sin \pi a \int_{-1}^1 (1 - x)^a(1+x)^{-a}(x - b)^{-2}\, dx = -4\pi i a\, (b-1)^{a-1}(b+1)^{-a-1}$$ or $$\int_{-1}^1 \left(\frac{1-x}{1+x}\right)^a\frac{dx}{(x-b)^2} = 2\pi a\csc(\pi a)\, (b-1)^{a-1}(b+1)^{-a-1}$$

What is the POTW #283?

POTW #283 stands for "Problem of the Week #283". It is a weekly problem-solving challenge given to members of a scientific community.

What is the purpose of POTW #283?

The purpose of POTW #283 is to encourage critical thinking and problem-solving skills among members of the scientific community. It also serves as a platform for members to engage in discussions and share their knowledge and solutions with others.

How is POTW #283 different from other problem-solving challenges?

POTW #283 is unique because it covers a wide range of scientific disciplines and topics, making it a multidisciplinary challenge. It also allows members to collaborate and discuss their solutions, providing a diverse and enriching learning experience.

What is the solution to POTW #283?

The solution to POTW #283 varies and depends on the specific problem given. It is not a single answer but rather a range of possible solutions, each with its own merits and drawbacks.

Who can participate in POTW #283?

POTW #283 is open to all members of the scientific community, regardless of their field of expertise or level of experience. It is a great opportunity for anyone interested in problem-solving and learning from others in the scientific community.