What is the solution to the cow tipping problem?

• Thread starter asadpasat
  • Start date
In summary, the cow tipping problem is a problem in which a cow is pushed in an optimal direction using a force, but in order to find the force needed, the cow-tipper needs to know the perpendicular distance between the cow and the pivot.
asadpasat
So I saw the cow tipping problem and I am having trouble figuring out how they got to the final equation.
Imagine making a rectangle around a cows body. Making a diagonal across the rectangle and center of mass being in center of the diagonal. One half of the diagonal is "a", and second is "b". Angle between the ground and the diagonal is theta. Drawing a Fg from center of mass divides the bottom line of rectangular in half (x/2)
From lever equation: (Fe)(de)=(Fl)(dl)
Transforming it: (F)(a+b)= (Fl)(dl)
(F)(a+b)= mg a cosθ [ I don't understand why is "a" necessary]
cosθ= (x/2)/a
(F)(a+b)= mg a ((x/2)/a)
(F)(a+b)= mg (x/2)
(F)= (mg (x/2)) / (a+b)

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I'll bite. What's the "cow tipping problem"? A diagram and statement of the problem would be nice.

The cow-tipper is pushing with strength Fe , applied to the cow at the top corner, pushing in the optimal direction (perp. to the diagonal).
in line 3, the "lever-arm" for the gravity Force (that is, distance from pivot perp. to the weight vector) is x/2

lightgrav said:
The cow-tipper is pushing with strength Fe , applied to the cow at the top corner, pushing in the optimal direction (perp. to the diagonal).
in line 3, the "lever-arm" for the gravity Force (that is, distance from pivot perp. to the weight vector) is x/2
Got it. Thanks!

asadpasat said:
(F)(a+b)= mg a cosθ [ I don't understand why is "a" necessary]
You need the perpendicular distance between mg and the pivot, which is "a cosθ". (Or x/2.) Without the "a" the equation would be dimensionally inconsistent.

Doc Al said:
You need the perpendicular distance between mg and the pivot, which is "a cosθ". (Or x/2.) Without the "a" the equation would be dimensionally inconsistent.
It seems like a long way from solving for (x/2) by cos, and then substituting cos, just to get (x/2).

asadpasat said:
It seems like a long way from solving for (x/2) by cos, and then substituting cos.
I would have went directly to x/2, since you were given that up front.

Doc Al said:
I would have went directly to x/2, since you were given that up front.
ok, great. Thanks

1. What is the Cow Tipping Problem?

The Cow Tipping Problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the minimum number of people needed to tip over a cow that is standing on a slope. It is a purely theoretical problem and does not involve actual cow tipping.

2. Why is the Cow Tipping Problem important?

The Cow Tipping Problem is important because it demonstrates the application of mathematical principles and problem-solving skills. It also highlights the importance of teamwork and collaboration in finding solutions to complex problems.

3. How is the Cow Tipping Problem solved?

The Cow Tipping Problem can be solved using basic trigonometric principles and geometry. The key is to find the angle of the slope and use the weight of the cow and the force needed to tip it over to determine the minimum number of people needed.

4. What factors affect the solution to the Cow Tipping Problem?

The solution to the Cow Tipping Problem can be affected by several factors, including the weight and size of the cow, the angle of the slope, and the strength and coordination of the tipping team.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Cow Tipping Problem?

While the Cow Tipping Problem itself is a theoretical exercise, the principles and problem-solving skills used to solve it can be applied to real-life scenarios, such as calculating the minimum number of people needed to move a heavy object on an incline.