What is the Speed of a Transverse Wave on a Varying Thickness Wire?

In summary, when a wave pulse is sent down the wire, it takes a relatively long time to reach the wall. The wire has a uniform density, but it has a non-uniform thickness. To solve for the time it takes for the pulse to reach the wall, the person attempted to integrate the volume of the wire. They mistakenly mixed up their units and it would be in milimeters.
jlsoccer4

Homework Statement

A wire that is 10 m long and has a uniform density(u) of 7.75 g/cm^3 is pulled to a tension of F=80 N. The wire, however, does not have a uniform thickness; rather, it varies uniformly from an initial radius of 1mm to a radius of 3mm where it is attached to a wall. If you send a wave pulse down the length of the string, how long does it take to reach the wall?

Homework Equations

v = sqrt(F/u)
u = m/L (m= mass, L= length)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I could find the volume of the wire, then I could determine the mass of the string, and the velocity of the pulse using the equations above. From there, once I had the velocity, since the units were m/s, I would divide by the distance to find the time it would take for the pulse to reach the wall. (Does this logic make sense?)

But how would I determine the volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be by integration.

What would the integration look like? Would the limits be from 1mm (.001m) to 3mm (.003m) and the integrand be pi*(r^2)*10m (volume of a cylinder)?

No. One method of how to obtain the integrand would be the classic "divide-and-conquer". We will divide the wire into infinitely many thin slices. We then consider the volume of each thin slice.

The volume of each thin slice would be [tex]\pi r^{2} dx[/tex]. However, we realize also that the radius of each slice varies, and can be expressed as [tex]0.01 + 0.002x[/tex], where x represents the distance of the slice from the starting point (taken to be the free end). So, we have the volume of each slice being [tex]\pi (0.01 + 0.002x)^{2} dx[/tex].

The total volume of the wire would thus simply be a summation of the volume of each slice across the entire length of the wire: [tex]\int^{10}_{0}\pi (0.01 + 0.002x)^{2} dx[/tex]

Wouldn't r be equal to .001+.0002x (in terms of millimeters) and (1*10^-6) + (2*10^-7)x (in meters)? Since my limits are in meters, wouldn't my integrand need to be in the same units?

Oops, it should be r=0.001+0.0002x in terms of meters. Accidentally left off a factor of 10.
Why do you think that would be in milimeters?

I think that you are correct. I had my units mixed up. Thank you for the help on this problem, I truly appreciate it.

would this happen to be for a phys 132 class

Related to What is the Speed of a Transverse Wave on a Varying Thickness Wire?

1. What is the speed of a transverse wave?

The speed of a transverse wave is the rate at which the wave travels through a medium. It is determined by the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity.

2. How is the speed of a transverse wave calculated?

The speed of a transverse wave can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength of the wave by its frequency. The formula is v = λf, where v is the speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

3. Does the speed of a transverse wave change in different mediums?

Yes, the speed of a transverse wave can change in different mediums. It depends on the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity. For example, the speed of a transverse wave will be faster in a less dense and more elastic medium compared to a denser and less elastic medium.

4. What is the relationship between the speed of a transverse wave and its frequency?

The speed of a transverse wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the speed of the wave also increases. This relationship is described by the formula v = λf, where v is the speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency.

5. How does the amplitude of a wave affect its speed?

The amplitude of a wave does not affect its speed. The speed of a transverse wave is only affected by the properties of the medium it is traveling through, not by its amplitude. However, a change in amplitude can affect the energy and intensity of a wave.