What is the statistical minimal interpretation?

pines-demon
I've been reading on some of the threads in this subforum and some times the concept of minimal statistical interpretation of quantum mechanics is brought up. What is that? Looking for it in Google leads me to articles on statistical independence, unaccessible papers or (in first place) to PhysicsForums.

Physics news on Phys.org
pines-demon said:
I've been reading on some of the threads in this subforum and some times the concept of minimal statistical interpretation of quantum mechanics is brought up. What is that? Looking for it in Google leads me to articles on statistical independence, unaccessible papers or (in first place) to PhysicsForums.
All interpretations of quantum theory may be termed statistical if one is thinking of the results of experiments; quantum theory is statistical in that sense.

Lord Jestocost said:
All interpretations of quantum theory may be termed statistical if one is thinking of the results of experiments; quantum theory is statistical in that sense.
That I understand. I think I know what the "statistical interpretation" (as in Born's rule) means, but the specific use of "minimal statistical interpretation" is not clear to me.

pines-demon said:
Unless my search bar is not working, the word minimal is used once (and only in the Bellentine paper). Could you clarify if it is just a synonym to something in those papers?
It refers to the linked interpretation.

Likes gentzen
pines-demon said:
I find this review helpful https://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/qm/eis.pdf

These are the broad patterns of the usage of words I have observed.

Statistical: Quantum mechanics asserts statistical properties
Ensemble: Quantum states represent infinite ensembles of identically prepared systems
Minimal (general context): Quantum mechanics demands no ontic commitment beyond the outcomes of trials/tests.
Minimal (ensemble context): The infinite ensembles have no structure of pre-assigned values

Likes martinbn
Morbert said:
I find this review helpful https://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/qm/eis.pdf

These are the broad patterns of the usage of words I have observed.

Statistical: Quantum mechanics asserts statistical properties
Ensemble: Quantum states represent infinite ensembles of identically prepared systems
Minimal (general context): Quantum mechanics demands no ontic commitment beyond the outcomes of trials/tests.
Minimal (ensemble context): The infinite ensembles have no structure of pre-assigned values
Oh ok. So it is the same as the "minimal ensemble interpretation"?

pines-demon said:
It is not defined in the first comment of the thread, at least not clearly.
It seems pretty clear to me. The only unclear thing is the claim that there are different version of SEI:
Demystifier said:
However, it does not mean that one cannot add additional interpretation claims to SEI. One can, and one does. One can do that in more than one way, so there is more than one version of SEI.
But even that confusion is mostly cleared up in the end:
Demystifier said:
What is common to all versions of SEI, except the facts above shared by all interpretations? All versions of SEI have in common the following:
- The collapse does not exist in the physical sense. (The information update is not considered physical.)
- Additional (hidden) variables (e.g. Bohm) are not considered.

I don't think that there are different versions of SEI. It is just that Ballentine is human too, and occasionally makes some mistake. Other people who prefer SEI may not want to subscribe to all of Balletine's mistakes, but of course risk to make their own mistakes. I would say SEI is what Ballentine described, minus the individual mistakes of him. (Or what other proponents of SEI like Asher Peres describe, minus their individual mistakes. My impression is that Asher Peres too managed to add one or two minor personal mistakes while using SEI.) Notice that Demystifier started that thread because of those individual personal mistakes. That is why I mention those those mistakes here, and explained why I consider them insubstantial.

Likes Demystifier
pines-demon said:
Oh ok. So it is the same as the "minimal ensemble interpretation"?
One should generally avoid the term "statistical ensemble interpretation", since a misleading reading of the term "ensemble" in the sense of a "Gibbs ensemble" can lead to enormous misunderstandings.

Likes gentzen
Lord Jestocost said:
One should generally avoid the term "statistical ensemble interpretation", since a misleading reading of the term "ensemble" in the sense of a "Gibbs ensemble" can lead to enormous misunderstandings.
Oh, thanks for (accidentally?) pointing out my mistake:
gentzen said:
I don't think that there are different versions of SEI.
My mistake is that Demystifier was not talking about Ballentine's minimal statistical interpretation, but about "statistical ensemble interpretation (SEI)" more general. So I agree with Demystifier that there are different versions of SEI. Sorry for the confusion I may have created.

Likes Demystifier
gentzen said:
My mistake is that Demystifier was not talking about Ballentine's minimal statistical interpretation, but about "statistical ensemble interpretation (SEI)" more general. So I agree with Demystifier that there are different versions of SEI. Sorry for the confusion I may have created.
Due you see what is my problem here. There is a lot of different meanings here and the thread has 9 pages. So just to narrow this down, the minimal statistical interpretation is Ballentine's 1970 paper?

pines-demon said:
Due you see what is my problem here. There is a lot of different meanings here and the thread has 9 pages. So just to narrow this down, the minimal statistical interpretation is Ballentine's 1970 paper?
I don't see what your problem is! Is it so hard to accept that there is more than one version. And why are you so focused on the name? Read what the interpretation is, not what it is called by different people.

Likes Lord Jestocost
pines-demon said:
It is not defined in the first comment of the thread, at least not clearly. That conversation has 9 pages. Can you tell me where to look?
From my point of view, it's enough to read the first post by me.

Likes Lord Jestocost
martinbn said:
I don't see what your problem is! Is it so hard to accept that there is more than one version. And why are you so focused on the name? Read what the interpretation is, not what it is called by different people.
Demystifier said:
But don't you all see how it is confusing not to clarify it from the very beginning. You could have started by saying it a series of interpretations on certain way of thinking (originally devised by Ballentine), and in the thread it is explained in post #1 under the name "statistical ensemble interpretation".

pines-demon said:
But don't you all see how it is confusing not to clarify it from the very beginning. You could have started by saying it a series of interpretations on certain way of thinking (originally devised by Ballentine), and in the thread it is explained in post #1 under the name "statistical ensemble interpretation".
That thread had a different goal. It wasn't meant to write things the way you would like to see them.

• Skeptical
Likes pines-demon and Demystifier
martinbn said:
That thread had a different goal. It wasn't meant to write things the way you would like to see them.
Exactly, that was not my thread. That's why I asked for clarifications!

Demystifier said:
Thanks I just did not get that statistical ensemble interpretation=minimal statistical interpretation in that post. I have one quick question, why do you say that it leads to "The collapse does not exist in the physical sense"? Is it because in this interpretation we only care on reconstructing ##|\psi\rangle## from the repeated experiments, independently of the underlying dynamics of the measurements?

pines-demon said:
Thanks I just did not get that statistical ensemble interpretation=minimal statistical interpretation in that post. I have one quick question, why do you say that it leads to "The collapse does not exist in the physical sense"?
The collapse of wave function does not exist in the physical sense because the wave function itself, according to this interpretation, does not exist in the physical sense. What exists in the physical sense is a single physical object (on the nature of which this interpretation remains agnostic), while the wave function only describes a set of common properties of a large ensemble of physical objects.
pines-demon said:
Is it because in this interpretation we only care on reconstructing ##|\psi\rangle## from the repeated experiments, independently of the underlying dynamics of the measurements?
Yes, I think you can explain it that way too.

Likes pines-demon