What is the Tension Force and Charge of Two Separated Balls in Equilibrium?

In summary, the conversation consisted of a student seeking help in solving a physics problem involving two balls with equal and opposite charges attached to a ceiling by strings. The student provided their attempt at a solution and asked for confirmation on their calculations. Another user pointed out a calculation error and provided an alternate method for solving the problem, with the same result as the student's. Ultimately, it was determined that the student's calculations were correct and the textbook's answer was likely incorrect.
fawk3s

Homework Statement

Two balls, each with a mass of 500 mg, are attached to the same point in the ceiling by strings with the length of 40 cm. The balls have been given equal and opposite charges, which caused them to separate in a way that the strings formed a 60-degree angle. Find the charges and the tension force in the string. Make a sketch.

The answers ought to be
q=~0,2*10-6 C
Ft=~0,0044 N

Homework Equations

Fg=mg
FC=kq1q2/d2

The Attempt at a Solution

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg513/scaled.php?server=513&filename=fdafdafa.png&res=medium

An equilateral triangle is formed with the strings, so the distance between the balls is also
d=40cm=0,4m

Gravitational force on a ball
Fg=mg=~5*10-3 N (g=9,8 m/s2)

In order for equillibrium to be reached, the component vector of gravity, which is at a right angle with the string, must be equal to the component vector of Coulomb's force, which is also at a 90o with the string.
That component vector of gravity is
Fg1=Fg*cos60o=2,5*10-3

So if FC=kq1q2/d2, then

Fg1=FC*cos30o, from which we get that
FC=5*sqrt3*10-3/3 N
and that
q1=q2=~0,2*10-6 C

So far it seemed to me that everything went correctly, but I don't get the tension force to be 0,0044 N. Using sines and cosines on Fg and FC, or Pythagoran theorem for that matter, I got

Ft=Ft1+Ft2
Ft1=cos30o*Fg=5*sqrt3*10-3/2
Ft2=cos60o*FC=2,5*sqrt3*10-3/3
Ft=~0,0058 N

Now I've seen many mistakes in answers in this textbook, but I am not so sure it's the textbook which has a fault in it this time. So please tell me, did I go wrong and where, or is the answer in the textbook once again wrong?

(I didnt mark up all the angles, but they should be pretty easy to figure out. If you don't understand some of my calculations or think they are wrong, be sure to shout out or ask!)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You made calculation errors. m=500 mg=0.5 kg. g=9.8. Force of gravity is 4.9 N.
Do not round off the numerical results too early.

ehild

500 milligrams is equal to 0.0005 kg. So I can't have made a mistake there.
The reason I rounded them up so early (I'm usually pretty precise) is because the answer given in the back is always calculated that way. I was just trying to get a close answer.

Thanks in advance

I would really appreciate if someone would solve the problem independently to see what answers they get. If they match with the book's, I must have made a theoretical error somewhere (I don't think its a calculation error since I've checked the numbers twice). If they match with my answers, it must be the book what contains the error.
I hope it's not too much to ask.

What confuses me though, is that the charge I get matches with the book's answer.

Thanks in advance

fawk3s said:
500 milligrams is equal to 0.0005 kg. So I can't have made a mistake there.

The reason I rounded them up so early (I'm usually pretty precise) is because the answer given in the back is always calculated that way. I was just trying to get a close answer.

Thanks in advance

Sorry, I made the mistake!:redface:Your calculation is correct (althought I do not like that early rounding)

It is an other way for the calculation using the right triangle made of the forces of gravity, Coulomb force and tension.

ehild

ehild said:
It is an other way for the calculation using the right triangle made of the forces of gravity, Coulomb force and tension.

ehild

What you mean is I've made a mistake on calculating the magnitude of the tension? Could you specify please? Because I seem to miss it.

fawk3s

fawk3s said:
What you mean is I've made a mistake on calculating the magnitude of the tension? Could you specify please? Because I seem to miss it.

fawk3s

No, your calculation is right. But there is an easier way to get it:

T=mg/cos(30°), (and tan(30°)=Fc/mg; )

ehild

Oh, alrighty. But does this mean you got the same answer, and I have to assume the textbook is wrong? Sorry, just have to ask again for confirmation.

I have got the same answer:Tension=4.9x10-3/cos(30°)=5.7x10-3 N.

ehild

Thank you for your help ehild, I really appreciate it. :smile:

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = kq1q2/r2, where F is the force, k is the proportionality constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric force?

The unit of measurement for electric force is Newtons (N) in the SI system of units. In the cgs system, the unit is dynes (dyn).

4. How does distance affect the force of attraction or repulsion in Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used for both positive and negative charges. The force between two like charges (both positive or both negative) is repulsive, while the force between two unlike charges (one positive and one negative) is attractive. The formula takes into account the charges and distance between the particles, regardless of their polarity.