What is the theorem about modulos and relatively prime numbers?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of manipulating and substituting modulos in equations, specifically the equations a^5 = a (mod 5), a^3 = a (mod 3), and a^15 = a (mod 15). The conversation also mentions the property that a^p (mod n) is cyclic as a and p increase, and the theorem that if m and n are relatively prime, then m^{\phi(n)} = 1 \mod n. The participants are trying to use these concepts to solve a problem and prove a theorem.
Icebreaker
Is it possible to manipulate and substitute modulos like so

a^5 = a (mod 5)
a^3 = a (mod 3)

a^15 = a (mod 15)

By substituting the first into the second?

Physics news on Phys.org
It helps to fall back on the definitions...

Recall that a^5 = a (mod 5) means 5 | (a^5 - a).
Similarly, a^3 = a (mod 3) means 3 | (a^3 - a).

Now that the problem's converted into ordinary arithmetic, can you figure anything out?

so 15 | (a^5 - a)(a^3 - a)
or 15 | a^8 - a^6 - a^4 + a^2

is that what you mean, Hurkyl?

a^p (mod n) as a increases or as p increases is cyclic, is it not? I think I can answer my question using this property.

is that what you mean, Hurkyl?
Yep.

a^p (mod n) as a increases or as p increases is cyclic, is it not? I think I can answer my question using this property.
Huh? I'm not sure if you're getting there or not...

Mmm, I thought I needed this property to prove another theorem, but it seems I was wrong. I'll try to do it anyway though:

5n = a^5-a
3k = a^3-a

5n-3k = a^5-a^3 = a^2(a^3-a)

I'll try to finish later.

Here's another way of looking at it: if a^15 = a (mod 15), then you have a = a^15 = (a^3)^5 = a^5 (mod 3). Do you think a = a^5 (mod 3)?

Now you do have this nifty theorem:

If m and n are relatively prime, then:

[tex]
m^{\phi(n)} = 1 \mod n
[/tex]

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a mathematical system that deals with numbers and their remainders when divided by a fixed number. It is often used to simplify complex calculations and solve problems involving periodic or cyclical patterns.

2. What are the basic rules of modular arithmetic?

The basic rules of modular arithmetic include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations should be performed on the remainders of the numbers when divided by a fixed number, also known as the modulus.

3. How is modular arithmetic useful?

Modular arithmetic is useful in a variety of fields, such as computer science, cryptography, and engineering. It can be used to solve problems involving repeating patterns, and is essential in the creation and decoding of secret codes.

4. What is the difference between modular arithmetic and regular arithmetic?

The main difference between modular arithmetic and regular arithmetic is that in modular arithmetic, numbers wrap around when they reach the modulus, whereas in regular arithmetic, they continue to increase or decrease indefinitely. For example, in regular arithmetic, 10 + 5 = 15, but in modular arithmetic with a modulus of 10, 10 + 5 = 5.

5. Are there any real-world applications of modular arithmetic?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of modular arithmetic. For example, it is used in clock and calendar calculations, music theory, and in the creation of check digits for credit cards and identification numbers. It is also used in computer programming for efficient data storage and retrieval.