What is the thickness of the drop if its radius is r?

In summary, the thickness of a small drop of fat floating on the surface of a liquid can be calculated by using equations for surface tension and contact angles. By rearranging and substituting in values, we can determine that the thickness, δ, is equal to 2r(s1cosα1 + s2cosα2) / (s1sinα1 - s2sinα2). This equation is based on the fact that the surface forces of the drop are in equilibrium.
Klaus von Faust
1. A small drop of fat floats on the surface of a liquid whose surface tension is s. Surface fat tension at the air-fat interface is s1, at the fat-liquid interface is s2. Determine the thickness of the drop if its radius is r.2. ##F=\sigma l##
##\delta P=\sigma (\frac 1 R_1 + \frac 1 R_2)##3. It is well known that a droplet of grease will have a "seed" shape if floating freely on water. I imaginary cut the seed in two, each half has it's contact angle, and I determined it using the fact that surface forces are in equilibrium.
##\sigma = \sigma_1 \cos\alpha_1 + \sigma_2 \cos\alpha_2##
##\sigma_1 \sin\alpha_1 =\sigma_2 \sin\alpha_2##
If I solve this system I get
##\cos\alpha_1=\frac {\sigma^2 +\sigma_1^2 -\sigma_2^2} {2 \sigma \sigma_1}##
I cannot figure out what to do next

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
. Can you help me?4. Using the equations above, we can calculate the thickness of the drop by rearranging the equations and substituting in the values for surface tension, s1 and s2.The equation for the thickness of the drop, δ, is: δ = 2r(s1cosα1 + s2cosα2) / (s1sinα1 - s2sinα2)where r is the radius of the drop and α1 and α2 are the contact angles. Plugging in the values for s1, s2, r, α1 and α2, we can calculate the thickness of the drop.

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that causes the molecules on the surface of a liquid to stick together and form a "skin". It is a result of the cohesive forces between molecules.

2. Why is surface tension important?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in various natural phenomena such as capillary action, which allows plants to transport water from their roots to their leaves. It also helps insects like water striders to walk on water and allows certain insects to lay their eggs on the surface of water.

3. How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter or dynes per centimeter. The most common method of measurement is by using a tensiometer, which measures the force required to pull a wire or a ring from the surface of a liquid.

4. How does temperature affect surface tension?

In general, as temperature increases, surface tension decreases. This is because higher temperatures cause molecules to have more energy and move more rapidly, reducing the cohesive forces between them. However, this relationship is not linear and can vary depending on the type of liquid.

5. Can surface tension be changed?

Yes, surface tension can be changed by adding substances called surfactants, which can lower the surface tension of a liquid. Examples of surfactants include soap, detergent, and oil. Additionally, surface tension can also be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the liquid.