What is the use of 0 Ohm resistors?

In summary, a 0 ohm resistor is a packaging convenience, typically easier to use than wire, and is used for various purposes, including jumpers and component definitions.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Today, I found that there exists something like a 0 ohm resistor:

https://www.electroncomponents.com/0-e-ohm-resistor-resistance-zero?filter_name=0 ohm resistor
Don't look at the image in the page

I can simply connect two points in a circuit with a good quality copper wire, thereby shorting the two points. What can be the use of a 0 ohm resistor? Also, can 0 ohm resistance practically exist? What is this resistor made of?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, there are no real 0 ohm resistors, but they are typically much easier to use than wire when designing PCB.

Likes Fisherman199, FactChecker, cnh1995 and 2 others
jedishrfu said:
More on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-ohm_link

Its a packaging convenience mostly.

Borek said:
No, there are no real 0 ohm resistors, but they are typically much easier to use than wire when designing PCB.
Interesting, thanks for the information.

The thought of PCB didn't cross my mind.

The reason they exist is design changes may eliminate the resistor. Changing the PC board design may not be warranted so whether zero ohm surface mount resistors mounted to a PC board with a pick and place machine or through hole components placed with auto insert, the component is compatible with the previous design unlike a chunk of bare wire.

Likes CalcNerd, dlgoff, sophiecentaur and 2 others
jedishrfu said:
More on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-ohm_link

Its a packaging convenience mostly.

yup ... I use 100's of them on gear I manufacture ... tis much easer for a pick and place machine to pick up resistors than bare wire links
And using them as links across other tracks on single sided PCB's is all they are used forDave

Likes sophiecentaur, NascentOxygen, Borek and 4 others
Aren't they simply called jumpers?

Likes jedishrfu
DaveC426913 said:
Aren't they simply called jumpers?

nope, I buy them in an oblong box of 1000, all on a long tape for machine insertion use, the same as all the other boxes of resistors I buy.
On the end of the box it has 0ΩDave

Last edited:
We are using 0Ohms between sections of the circuit so we can easily separate them during testing/repair. 0Ohms are default closed.

For jumpers (default open), sometimes we are using a special 'component' instead which is just two solderpad close to each other - after testing it is just about to add some solder to connect them.

Likes dlgoff and davenn
I've seen them used as wire links to avoid the need for a second PCB layer.

I always use a 0Ω resistor between "power ground" and "signal ground" (analog ground) to ensure that the PCB layout program keeps the two apart.

Likes analogdesign, Lord Crc, NTL2009 and 4 others
resistors have wattage ratings, over power the rating of the resistor and it opens and fails, not fail safe though, it may short and cause problems but the idea that a resistor can be used as sort of a fuse is one to throw around.

Zero ohm links are super useful!

To add to the list already we use them for setting configuration bits on some MCUs (one from a big German company needs it), we use them to define HW configuration for the MCU, ie what version of board is built (3 or 4 logic pins, zero ohm links either holding them at logic1 or 0). They are also great if you are pressed for time during design and want to put in place holder pads in case you need filtering (for example), instead of populating a real R and C (to protect for a low pass RC filter) you put in zero ohm link and DNP the cap.

Svein said:
I always use a 0Ω resistor between "power ground" and "signal ground" (analog ground) to ensure that the PCB layout program keeps the two apart.

There is a much better way of doing that, we create a component called "net tie", where the two pads are so infinitesimally close, ie they are not "touching" according to the PCB software since there is a 1um gap or something, but no PCB process can make that and it ends up being solid Cu => design rule check works fine, they are separate nets, but more importantly you can create a much lower inductance connection between planes, incl on internal layers, depending on how critical this is for you.

Out of ignorance: what color code is there on the 0Ω resistor? A priori, "none" does not seem like a color code to me. "black" is already used...

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/reference/chpt-2/resistor-color-codes/

Likes Wrichik Basu
Mudpie said:
a resistor can be used as sort of a fuse is one to throw around.
As you wrote already, it is not really fail safe. Not really a good idea to 'throw around' a fuse what might or might not blow as it wishes.

jim mcnamara said:
Out of ignorance: what color code is there on the 0Ω resistor?
It is usually an SMD component and has a '0' or '000' mark on the top of it.
Color codes are for old style resistors ... They are less and less used :oldcry:

Ps.: well, actually it exists in old style too... I'm yet to see one, actuallyo_O

I did a quick google using the phrase "fuse resistor" and the following link is one that came up. Using resistors as fuses is not inherently a bad idea in the same way using resistors in general could be considered a bad idea. Undersizing the wattage of a resistor is possible design mistake that can cause a safety issue in the same way that expecting a carbon resistor to function as a fuse while in reality it will sit and smoke is a design mistake. Fuses and resistors by definition overlap in function by a small amount.
-
http://www.koaglobal.com/product/howtouse/fuse?sc_lang=en

jim mcnamara said:
what color code is there on the 0Ω resistor?

1 black

I did not read all the answers, maybe it's covered already. I use them so I can put other values in case I need it.

When you design circuits, you might not be sure what value resistor, some times you might end up not wanting a resistor. So if you design a resistor in, then you decide you don't want the resistor, you put in the 0ohm resistor.

Particular useful in SMD where they use machine place and wave solder, you put the 0hm and just go through the machine like a normal resistor if you want to.

jim mcnamara said:
Out of ignorance: what color code is there on the 0Ω resistor? A priori, "none" does not seem like a color code to me. "black" is already used...

0-ohms.jpg
Rive said:
Ps.: well, actually it exists in old style too... I'm yet to see one, actuallyo_O
WOW really ?

I use 100's of these in my manufacturingDave

Attachments

• 0-ohms.jpg
    0-ohms.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,605
Likes Wrichik Basu
davenn said:
WOW really ?
It seems so:sorry: My last ten (or so) years was about high density 4-6 layer PCBs and on those we don't like through hole components since they are eating up too much space.
Might have seen one before that but did not notice I think:smile:

Likes davenn
Rive said:
My last ten (or so) years was about high density 4-6 layer PCBs and on those we don't like through hole components since they are eating up too much space

Sweet, that's pretty serious, My day job, I work on GPS gear with boards like that, I don't have to do component level repairs on them

My part time private business I use single and double sided boards in my manufacturing
here is a single sided board with 3 x 0 Ω "resistors" ... above relays
I get the boards etched and screen printed in China and then I populate the boards, box them and sell them.
It gives me income for the wife and I to travel:smile:

upload_2019-2-20_19-20-13.png
Dave

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-20_19-20-13.png
    upload_2019-2-20_19-20-13.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 598
Likes berkeman, Rive and Wrichik Basu
davenn said:
It gives me income for the wife and I to travel:smile:
I'm too busy with my work to earn any money like that:cry:

We are designing these boards, fortunately the repairs are not ours.
Still has to do all the prototyping and validation though:smile:

Likes davenn

1. What are 0 Ohm resistors used for?

0 Ohm resistors are used to connect two points in an electronic circuit without changing the resistance of the circuit. They are often used as "electrical jumpers" or to replace a wire connection.

2. Are 0 Ohm resistors actually 0 Ohms?

Yes, 0 Ohm resistors have a resistance value of 0 Ohms. This means that they allow current to flow through them without any resistance, effectively acting as a wire in the circuit.

3. Can 0 Ohm resistors be used to regulate current?

No, 0 Ohm resistors do not regulate current. They simply provide a connection between two points in a circuit. To regulate current, a different type of resistor with a specific resistance value is needed.

4. What are the advantages of using 0 Ohm resistors?

One advantage of using 0 Ohm resistors is that they take up less space on a circuit board compared to a wire connection. They also provide a more secure and reliable connection compared to a wire, as they are fixed in place and less likely to come loose.

5. Can 0 Ohm resistors be used in place of other resistors?

No, 0 Ohm resistors cannot be used in place of other resistors with specific resistance values. They are only used for connecting points in a circuit and do not have any impact on the resistance of the circuit itself.