What is the velocity of a particle at t=2seconds given force function (x)

In summary: And with the limits of 0 and 2, the final expression should be (-cos(π)-(-cos(0)))*2/π = 2*2/π = 4/π. In summary, the problem involves a force Fx exerted on a 210 g particle over a 2 second interval. Using the equation F=ma and integrating acceleration to find velocity, the speed of the particle at t=2.0s can be calculated to be 4/π. The original attempt at solving the problem on paper had an error in the integration step.
aitee

Homework Statement

Force Fx = (10N) sin( (2*pi*t)/4 ) where t is in seconds

this force Fx is exerted on a 210 g particle during the interval 0s <= t <= 2s

If the particle starts from rest, what is its speed at t = 2.0s ?

Homework Equations

F=ma

I think this is the only relevant equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that Force = Mass * Accel, therefore Accel = F/m. So because I am given the force as a function and have the mass I basically have the acceleration function.. Is this correct so far? Because velocity is the integral of acceleration, I can get velocity with that.
I graphed it online (for visual purposes), calculated the integral from 0 to 2 seconds and got the answer.

I'm having trouble doing it on paper. Simplifying a = F/m, I get: a = 10(sin (pi/2)*t )/ .21
Integrating this I pull out the 10/.21 constant,
the integral of sin( (t*pi) /2 ) is: -cos( (t*pi)/2 ) * (pi/2) evaluated at 2 and 0. (that second pi/2 is correct by chain rule?)

I'm evaluating this as -cos( (2pi)/2 )* (pi/2) - -cos(0) (pi/2)

Both cos(0) and cos(pi) == 1

so: -(pi/2) + (pi/2) = 0

Multiplied by that constant part on the outside (10/.21) is still zero..

I don't see why this is wrong.. The link below at wolframalpha.com shows what I used to get the answer:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral+of+(10*sin((pi*x)/2)/.21)+from+0+to+2

Any help on how to solve this on paper (the steps) or help finding my stupid mistake is would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
the integral of sin( (t*pi) /2 ) is: -cos( (t*pi)/2 ) * (pi/2)

It should be -cos(πt/2)*2/π

1. What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity is defined as the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: v = ∆x/∆t, where v is velocity, ∆x is change in position, and ∆t is change in time.

3. What is the significance of t=2 seconds in this scenario?

t=2 seconds represents a specific point in time at which the velocity of the particle is being measured. It is the value being substituted into the function to determine the velocity at that particular time.

4. How does the force function affect the velocity of the particle?

The force function describes the force acting on the particle at any given time. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. Therefore, the force function can affect the velocity of the particle by changing its acceleration.

5. Can the velocity of a particle at t=2 seconds be negative?

Yes, the velocity of a particle at t=2 seconds can be negative. Since velocity is a vector quantity, it takes into account both magnitude and direction. A negative velocity indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen reference point.