What is the Work Required to Increase Separation of a Parallel Plate Capacitor?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 18K views
sw1mm3r said:
thats the formula i was talking about

c2=(3.1x10^-11 F)/3 doesn't give you c2=8.26x10^-12F.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
no look c1/c2=d2/d1

(3.1x10^-11)/c2=.0045/.0012

c2=8.26x10^-12 so c2 is obviously not c1/3
 
OOhhhh. You are talking about c2=(1.2/4.5)*c1. The 1.2 was a typo. There's no '1.2' in the problem anywhere. I apologize for that. It should have been 1.5. You really haven't understood anything of this, have you?
 
1.2 is in the problem its 1.2 mm... and i have understood a good chunk of stuff i just got confused on the last part
 
Hah. You're right. I substituted the 1.5 for 1.2 way back. Apparently I'm the one who's confused. 34 posts and you lose track. Sorry again. I think you've got it right.
 
damn and i was tryin to figure out where i went wrong... kool sounds good i understand it then
 
sw1mm3r said:
damn and i was tryin to figure out where i went wrong... kool sounds good i understand it then
I will rewrite my post.
C1 = εοA/d1
In the second case
C2 = εοA/d2

C1/C2 = (εοA/d1)/(εοA/d2)
= d2/d1
Substitute the values of d1, d2 and C1, and find the value of C2.
Using the formula for energy, find the energies in C1 and C2 and find the difference.
 
That's perfect. Sorry again if my false recollection that one of the d's was 1.5mm instead of 1.2mm was what was throwing you off. Oh, that's you rl.bhat, thought is was sw1mme3r. Maybe time to quit while I'm not too far behind.
 
Last edited: