What is this effect called?

• Thread starter iDimension
  • Start date
In summary, Chladni patterns are created by projecting sound waves into a liquid droplet. They can be used to create cool graphical patterns.
iDimension
I've linked the exact time for your convenience. Sound waves or something is projected into a water droplet that causes it to create awesome looking patterns. What is this effect called? Thanks.

Edit: Unscientific link deleted by mentor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chladni figures or Chladni patterns. Also related to the Bessel functions if I remember correctly.

Megaquark said:
Chladni figures or Chladni patterns. Also related to the Bessel functions if I remember correctly.

Yep. Chladni was an eighteenth century musician. Thomas Hooke invented the technique in the 17th century.

Chladni also seems to have been the first to suggest that meteorites were extraterrestrial in origin.

iDimension said:
I've linked the exact time for your convenience. Sound waves or something is projected into a water droplet that causes it to create awesome looking patterns. What is this effect called? Thanks.
Sorry, but that narrator's woo-hoo about vibrational thought and vibrational emotion is nothing more than pseudo-scientific nonsense. "We are holding a vibratory pattern in the liquid crystal of our bodies." What the heck is he talking about?! He's just making stuff up as he goes.

[Edit: his off-the-cuff claim about Earth's "base pulse" of 7.8 cycles per second is probably referring to the Schumann resonance. It's true that that also involves standing waves. But beyond that, how it fits into any other of his extravagant word-salad is beyond me.]

----

Chladni patterns are real phenomenon and are well understood though. Here is a better video on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes mfb and Megaquark
A lot of crackpottery surrounds Chladni figures. I think that this is the result of curious people who want to understand the world but can't deal with real science. So they settle for something that is simple and aesthetically pleasing. They are never going to use it for any practical purpose, so it doesn't really matter whether it's wrong.

I read some thing where the guy claimed that general relativity was fatally flawed. What was the flaw? That the guy couldn't understand it. So he made up something that he could understand. Whatever. Who knows? Maybe in the year 2321 we'll find out there was something to these intuitions.

Likes Pepper Mint
Hornbein said:
What was the flaw? That the guy couldn't understand it. So he made up something that he could understand.
That's pretty much all crackpottery in a nutshell.

Likes collinsmark, mfb and Pepper Mint
I wasn't interested in the whole religious nonsense he was talking about with the pictures of jesus in the background. I simply wanted to know what the effect was called because when it's done with water it looks pretty cool

Likes collinsmark
The Op's question has been answered and we don't discuss crackpottery, so the the thread is closed.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation refers to a relationship between two variables, where a change in one variable is associated with a change in the other. Causation, on the other hand, is a direct cause-and-effect relationship, where one variable directly influences the other.

2. What is the placebo effect?

The placebo effect is a phenomenon where a patient's belief in a treatment or medication leads to an improvement in their symptoms, even if the treatment itself has no real therapeutic value.

3. What is the Hawthorne effect?

The Hawthorne effect is a phenomenon where individuals modify their behavior or performance in response to being observed, rather than the actual treatment or intervention.

4. What is the butterfly effect?

The butterfly effect is a concept in chaos theory that states that small, seemingly insignificant changes in a complex system can have large and unpredictable effects over time.

5. What is the Pygmalion effect?

The Pygmalion effect, also known as the self-fulfilling prophecy, is a phenomenon where individuals' expectations of others can influence their behavior and ultimately lead to the fulfillment of those expectations.