What Is This Mystery Kitchen Utensil?

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary: The object in OP has very similar shape so obviously it is more of an iron than a hammer :)We've got one of those pasta pots with holes in the lid for draining the water. I, however, have been banned from using it. Seems the last time I did, it malfunctioned and the lid popped off mid drain. Chaos ensued. While I maintaine it was equipment failure the wife insists it was an operator issue.
Danger
Gold Member
Hi, all. Can anyone tell me what on Earth this thing is?
"[URL=[PLAIN]http://img27.imageshack.us/i/dcp0011.jpg/[/URL]
"[URL=[PLAIN]http://img266.imageshack.us/i/dcp0018.jpg/[/URL]
I figure that it might be some sort of kitchen utensil (maybe a strainer?), since I found it in drawer in my kitchen. Around here, though, that isn't necessarily so.
The pictures are clickable for a larger image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the writing on it say in the 2nd picture?

Combination mason's trowel and cheese slicer?

http://www.tias.com/8877/PictPage/1922746921.html

You were right, Danger.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-50s-Kitchen-Utensil-Foley-Strainer_W0QQitemZ120495040754QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0e1068f2

lol vintage 50s kitchen strainer :-p I don't know why I find this funny. I guess I just like poking fun at old people... haha.

Looks like a terrible design for a strainer. It can barely hold the stuff you're straining. It has no bowl, just a shallow dip where the slots are.

leroyjenkens said:
Looks like a terrible design for a strainer. It can barely hold the stuff you're straining. It has no bowl, just a shallow dip where the slots are.

I believe it's meant to be held against the base of one's pot / pan, keeping the food from spilling out as you tilt the container against the strainer. I have a similarly designed strainer and I use it for draining the grease out of pans that I do not want to empty it's contents into a separate container, but keep them inside the pan so that I can place it directly back onto the stovetop.

Wow; that was fast! Thanks, guys.
Good eye, Berkeman; that printing doesn't even show up in person unless I really look hard. I never noticed it before. The flash must have caught it just right. It does indeed read as indicated in Dembadon's link.
Mk said:
Combination mason's trowel and cheese slicer?

:smile:
Believe it or not, both of those things crossed my mind when I first saw it.

Yeah, I would have been favoring a trowel rather than a strainer too. :smile: Neat concept, though. Looks a lot easier than trying to hold the lid "just so" while trying to tip out the water and keep in the vegetables or pasta (shush to those who would dare suggest a collander ...there's no challenge to that except trying to dig the collander from the back of the cabinet where it's buried).

I have two of those. They are fantastic. Although I have lost the essential skill of draining a pot using the lid because of them.

We've got one of those pasta pots with holes in the lid for draining the water. I, however, have been banned from using it. Seems the last time I did, it malfunctioned and the lid popped off mid drain. Chaos ensued.

While I maintaine it was equipment failure the wife insists it was an operator issue.

Dembadon said:
I believe it's meant to be held against the base of one's pot / pan, keeping the food from spilling out as you tilt the container against the strainer. I have a similarly designed strainer and I use it for draining the grease out of pans that I do not want to empty it's contents into a separate container, but keep them inside the pan so that I can place it directly back onto the stovetop.

Ingenious. I would have guessed some sort of device to make the time-gone equivalent of apple fritter hot pockets.

I thought it's an iron.

No; clearly it's a hammer.

lisab said:
No; clearly it's a hammer.

Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-F001163-0012%2C_K%C3%B6ln%2C_Textilfabrik_Bierbaum-Proenen.jpg

The object in OP has very similar shape so obviously it is more of an iron than a hammer :)

Integral said:
We've got one of those pasta pots with holes in the lid for draining the water. I, however, have been banned from using it. Seems the last time I did, it malfunctioned and the lid popped off mid drain. Chaos ensued.

While I maintaine it was equipment failure the wife insists it was an operator issue.

:smile: I have a pot like that, but I don't completely trust it. So, I'm voting on your side that it was equipment failure. :biggrin:

Phrak said:
Ingenious. I would have guessed some sort of device to make the time-gone equivalent of apple fritter hot pockets.

If it had a matching other half, that would have been my guess. I remember having one of those as a kid, and it was so fun! I rediscovered it as a teen, and whenever my parents went out of town and I was left to watch the house, I'd make all sorts of grilled pocket sandwich things in it (cheddar cheese, olives, and pizza sauce squashed inside sliced bread and grilled on the stove is a yummy snack). Can you get those tools for making those pocket sandwiches anymore?

Sure you can but mostly they are made for camping. I haven't seen a kitchen version in years.

FredGarvin said:
Sure you can but mostly they are made for camping. I haven't seen a kitchen version in years.

Cool. I don't care if it's a version for camping. Afterall, what works over a campfire works over the flame on a gas stove. :biggrin:

rootX said:
obviously it is more of an iron than a hammer :)

The two are largely interchangeable. You can pound nails with an iron (I've done it), and a hammer will remove wrinkles if properly applied.

Moonbear said:
If it had a matching other half, that would have been my guess. I remember having one of those as a kid, and it was so fun! I rediscovered it as a teen, and whenever my parents went out of town and I was left to watch the house, I'd make all sorts of grilled pocket sandwich things in it (cheddar cheese, olives, and pizza sauce squashed inside sliced bread and grilled on the stove is a yummy snack). Can you get those tools for making those pocket sandwiches anymore?

Now your talking. I'm thinking pan fried samiches. Where can I get a gizmo to hold them together while they fry?

Phrak said:
Now your talking. I'm thinking pan fried samiches. Where can I get a gizmo to hold them together while they fry?

These, paninis, are the modern food fashion trend...
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/images/products/detail/cuisinart%20panini%20&%20sandwich%20press%20md.jpg

But I think you are thinking of something more like a grill basket...
http://www.picnicbaskets.com/acatalog/S5437.gif
These are for bbq grills but I am pretty sure they have similar from range top and deep fryer cooking.

TheStatutoryApe said:
http://www.everythingkitchens.com/images/products/detail/cuisinart%20panini%20&%20sandwich%20press%20md.jpg
[/URL]

Wonderful SA. That's excellent. I think I'll put in a Christmas order for a Breville Panini grill thing after reading some reviews. One that comes without the ridges.

Phrak said:
Wonderful SA. That's excellent. I think I'll put in a Christmas order for a Breville Panini grill thing after reading some reviews. One that comes without the ridges.

No problem. We had one of those machines at the coffee house I used to work at years ago. Those Paninis though are supposed to have grill marks on them. I believe that it comes from an italian food staple of open range grilled sandwiches. I am not sure if they have those presses without the ridges but I am sure that there are similar devices which do not have them.

And if you do get one I would suggest trying it out with focaccia bread. That's what we used to use at the coffee house. Good stuff.

TheStatutoryApe said:
No problem. We had one of those machines at the coffee house I used to work at years ago. Those Paninis though are supposed to have grill marks on them. I believe that it comes from an italian food staple of open range grilled sandwiches. I am not sure if they have those presses without the ridges but I am sure that there are similar devices which do not have them.

And if you do get one I would suggest trying it out with focaccia bread. That's what we used to use at the coffee house. Good stuff.

I'll keep an eye out for focaccia. It's new to me. From one chef and critic, commenting on a Pansinis maker, the grill marks are eye candy, and will cause uneven gilling and doughy bread in-beween, and if too deep can cut through the bread. I'll do more research.

Phrak said:
I'll keep an eye out for focaccia. It's new to me. From one chef and critic, commenting on a Pansinis maker, the grill marks are eye candy, and will cause uneven gilling and doughy bread in-beween, and if too deep can cut through the bread. I'll do more research.

Mmmm...focaccia is yummy, a great combination of softness and high density :yummy:.

OK so we have no smiley for yummy but you can picture it, haha.

TheStatutoryApe said:

But I think you are thinking of something more like a grill basket...
http://www.picnicbaskets.com/acatalog/S5437.gif
These are for bbq grills but I am pretty sure they have similar from range top and deep fryer cooking.

No, neither of those. It was something just big enough to hold a slice of bread (except it was round, so when you closed it, it crimped the edge of the bread and you trimmed off the crust) and domed so there was room to stuff the middle, and had a long handle so you could hold it over a stove (or perhaps campfire), and the stuff inside got all melty and toasty and yummy!

Edit: Ooh, I found a picture of one on eBay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Thorngrens-Sandwich-Maker-Camping-Pie-Press_W0QQitemZ360208234813QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53de15793d

Moonbear said:
No, neither of those. It was something just big enough to hold a slice of bread (except it was round, so when you closed it, it crimped the edge of the bread and you trimmed off the crust) and domed so there was room to stuff the middle, and had a long handle so you could hold it over a stove (or perhaps campfire), and the stuff inside got all melty and toasty and yummy!

You're thinking about http://toastiterecipes.com/2009/05/30/toas-tite-60th-anniversary-a-bit-of-history/"

nv9p1c.jpg

lisab said:
You're thinking about http://toastiterecipes.com/2009/05/30/toas-tite-60th-anniversary-a-bit-of-history/"

nv9p1c.jpg

Yep, that's it! :biggrin:

Phrak said:

You can use an iron for that as well, you know.

lisab said:

Perfect. If only Walmart sold a Chinese knock-off I could buy. Maybe I could make one... It should be a little bigger and oval to fit French bread slices.

Danger said:
You can use an iron for that as well, you know.

But that doesn't pinch off the edges so they're sealed and don't leak out the melted cheese or gooey apple filling before it can maximally burn the roof of your mouth! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
But that doesn't pinch off the edges so they're sealed and don't leak out the melted cheese or gooey apple filling before it can maximally burn the roof of your mouth! :biggrin:

Yes, we definitely need the pinch-off around the edges--otherwise it's just a sandwich. You need an original device--or one of Phrak's knock-offs. I'll send you my second prototype if I keep up the enthusiasm. Now what to make them out of...

I thought it made taco shells... :-p

Moonbear said:

That's why you use a peanut butter gasket around the perimeter.