Finding the Energy of a Rotating Object with Fixed Masses - How to Solve?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving torque, time, and the length and mass of four rods attached to an object, which rotates for 3.12 seconds. The calculation involves using the equation K_E = \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2, where I is the moment of inertia calculated by summing the masses of the rods and their distances from the axis, and \omega is the angular velocity calculated using the given torque and time. The conversation also includes a discussion about the correct formula for calculating the moment of inertia for the vertical rods.
vac

Homework Statement

Torque = 3
Time = 3.12 s
Length of the each rod = 1 m so the radius = 0.500 m
mass of each rod is = 0.500 kg
[tex]M_1 = 4 kg[/tex]
[tex]M_2 = 2 kg[/tex]
[tex]M_3 = 4 kg[/tex]
[tex]M_4 = 2 kg[/tex]
http://imageshack.us/a/img27/5475/qu51.jpg

Homework Equations

What is the energy of the object (please refer to the picture above) that has a mass fixed to each of its four corners? If it rotates for 3.12 s? Torque and time is given.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]K_E = \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2[/tex]
[tex]I = \sum mr^2[/tex]
[tex]I = (4+2+4+2+0.5+0.5)(0.5)^2[/tex]
[tex]I = 3.25[/tex]
[tex]\omega = \alpha t[/tex]
Now we have "I" and Torque we can calculate alpha.
[tex]Torque = I \alpha[/tex]
[tex]3 = 2.25 \alpha[/tex]
[tex]\frac{3}{3.25}= \alpha[/tex]
so
[tex]\omega = \alpha t[/tex]
[tex]\omega = \frac{3}{3.25} 3.12 s = 2.88[/tex]
substitute back in
[tex]K_E = \frac{1}{2} I \omega^2[/tex]
[tex]K_E = \frac{1}{2} 3.25 (2.88)^2[/tex]
[tex]K_E = 13.5 J[/tex]
Can you please tell me what is wrong with my answer and if there is an easier way to solve such problems.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vac said:
[tex]I = (4+2+4+2+0.5+0.5)(0.5)^2[/tex]
Pls explain how you get that. What is the value of Ʃm?

haruspex said:
Pls explain how you get that. What is the value of Ʃm?
summation of masses times radius square: are (m1+m2+m3+m4+ mass of two rods )(r^2) = (4kg + 2kg + 4kg + 2kg + 0.5kg + 0.5 kg)(0.5 m)^2 = 3.25

Ok, do you see how I did that?

vac said:
summation of masses times radius square: are (m1+m2+m3+m4+ mass of two rods )(r^2) = (4kg + 2kg + 4kg + 2kg + 0.5kg + 0.5 kg)(0.5 m)^2 = 3.25
What about the horizontal rods?

haruspex said:
What about the horizontal rods?
Thank you for asking this question, it is the main thing that drove me to make this post.
I think it should be (1/12) times mass times length of both rods ... (1/12)ML.
But how about the vertical rods?

The moment of inertia for a rod is [itex]\frac{1}{12} ML^2[/itex]

vac said:
Thank you for asking this question, it is the main thing that drove me to make this post.
I think it should be (1/12) times mass times length of both rods ... (1/12)ML.
But how about the vertical rods?
Yes. You already included the vertical rods correctly. The 1/12 formula is for a rod rotating about its centre. Every part of each vertical rod is distance 0.5m from the axis, so 0.5m is right for those.

Related to Finding the Energy of a Rotating Object with Fixed Masses - How to Solve?

1. How do you calculate the rotational kinetic energy of an object?

The rotational kinetic energy of an object can be calculated using the formula Erot = 1/2 Iω2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity of the object.

2. What is the relationship between rotational kinetic energy and linear kinetic energy?

The relationship between rotational and linear kinetic energy is that they are both forms of kinetic energy and are both dependent on the mass and velocity of the object. However, rotational kinetic energy also takes into account the distribution of mass and the shape of the object.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect the rotational energy of an object?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The higher the moment of inertia, the more rotational energy is required to achieve a given angular velocity.

4. Can rotational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as heat, sound, or electricity. For example, when a spinning turbine generates electricity, the rotational energy is converted into electrical energy.

5. How does the principle of conservation of energy apply to rotational energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This also applies to rotational energy, meaning that the total amount of rotational energy in a system will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force.