Exploring a Puzzling Math Series: What Is It and What Is Its Use?

• Thread starter David George
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, The conversation discusses a geometric progression that is used in a project. The progression is represented by X + 1 (1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 . . . ) and can be summed if the absolute value of x is greater than 1. This sum can be written as 1/(x-1). For the sum to converge, x must be greater than 1 or less than -1.
David George
I have no math training beyond high school 45 years ago, and I don’t remember much of it. However I am doing a project, and I find the series below is quite valuable. But I do not know what it is or what it is called. It is like this:

X + 1 (1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 . . . ).

It comes ever closer to a value which is very significant in what I am doing. I wonder if someone can tell me what this is called, and what it can be used for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what is in the brackets is a geometric progrssion

Yes, the part in parentheses is a geometric series that can be summed (provided the absolute value of x is bigger than 1):

1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 + ... = 1/(x-1)

Thank you!

Avodyne said:
Yes, the part in parentheses is a geometric series that can be summed (provided the absolute value of x is bigger than 1):

1/x + 1/x^2 + 1/x^3 + ... = 1/(x-1)

For that sum to converge,

|1/x|<1

1. What is a puzzling math series?

A puzzling math series is a sequence of numbers or mathematical expressions that follow a specific pattern or rule, but may not be immediately obvious or easy to understand. It may require critical thinking and problem-solving skills to decipher and make sense of the series.

2. How do you explore a puzzling math series?

To explore a puzzling math series, you can start by looking for any patterns or relationships between the numbers or expressions in the series. This may involve creating tables or graphs, trying different operations or transformations, or using logical reasoning to make predictions.

3. What is the purpose of exploring a puzzling math series?

The purpose of exploring a puzzling math series is to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as to deepen understanding of mathematical concepts and patterns. It can also lead to new discoveries and insights, and may have practical applications in fields such as computer science and cryptography.

4. What are some strategies for solving a puzzling math series?

Some strategies for solving a puzzling math series include looking for patterns, using trial and error, breaking the series into smaller parts, and using logic and deductive reasoning. Collaborating with others and seeking help from a teacher or expert can also be helpful in solving challenging series.

5. Can puzzling math series be found in real-world situations?

Yes, puzzling math series can be found in real-world situations, such as in patterns of natural phenomena, financial data, or codes and ciphers used for communication and security. Exploring and understanding these series can provide valuable insights and applications in various fields.