What is wrong with this picture?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
In summary, the conversation is about a new fence gate construction at a property being rebuilt near Silicon Valley. The gate has two main problems - it can easily be opened by a pedestrian and a vehicle, and it does not provide much security. The gate is also built in a way that makes it difficult to open and close, and it is unclear why it was constructed this way. There are suggestions to use cameras or explosive bolts for added security, and some debate over the color and wording of the warning signs. Overall, the gate and fence seem poorly designed and may need to be reconsidered.
I can't help but feel slightly slighted. Idjits.

Anyways, I thought we were picking on @berkeman and his knee-level barbed-wire along a sidewalk.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Likes Tom.G and DaveC426913
Engineering news on Phys.org
Vanadium 50 said:
I just use these:

View attachment 290433

And, in line with the subject of this thread, what's wrong with this sign? Two things, actually.
What's wrong with that sign is that it's discriminating against land mines! Poor land mines who sooo much wish to enter.

Last edited:
This thread really went off the rails since I looked last.

LOL. Update -- they just installed new, longer gates that actually meet in the middle. I'll post a picture tomorrow. I still don't know if they have something installed now to hold the silly gates open when they slide them uphill...

berkeman said:
... I still don't know if they have something installed now to hold the silly gates open when they slide them uphill...
Rusted bearings perhaps.

berkeman said:
LOL. Update -- they just installed new, longer gates that actually meet in the middle. I'll post a picture tomorrow. I still don't know if they have something installed now to hold the silly gates open when they slide them uphill...
A spot of excavation could dig them out of their problem.

sophiecentaur said:
A spot of excavation could dig them out of their problem.
In a nice display of synchronicity, land mines would also solve their problem.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
gmax137 said:
This thread really went off the rails since I looked last.
Yup, just like what might happen when they try to open that gate.

Likes Aanta, russ_watters and berkeman
The two topics in this thread don't even meet in the middle.
Can the topics now be replaced with broader concepts ?

Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
Land mines and fence gates?

We could probably benefit from more links here.
(Blokes are shameless with our endless Dad jokes.)

berkeman said:
Baluncore said:
Here's a picture with the new, longer gates, which now indeed meet in the middle. I looked closer at the rails and rollers along the sides of the fence, and I still don't see anything that will hold the gates open when rolled up the slopes. Maybe they are relying on the friction of the rollers and the rolling resistance of the new bigger rubber tires. I guess I could sneak over and spray some WD-40 on the rollers and rails just for fun... :devil:

Larger Fixed Gates Peterson Way Oct 2021.jpg

Likes Lnewqban
These roll inward, right? So the wheels are perpendicular to the direction of motion? Plenty of friction!

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
These roll inward, right? So the wheels are perpendicular to the direction of motion? Plenty of friction!
LOL, er, no. I'd sure like to watch the first few crews try to open those gates in the dark early in the morning at start of shift in the demo of the old building. Trying to push them in the way you describe, then uttering some expletives, then pushing one sideways up the slope and watching it roll back down the slope on its own... "Hey you two, come here and hold these ***** gates open!"

Last edited:
I used to do work that had me on a lot of construction sites. One of my first jobs was distinguished by the fact that there were 3 different languages spoken on the site and none of them was English. Now, being a first generation immigrant myself I'm the last person to pretend that the US has an official language but it's difficult to work as a team when you don't have a shared communication method.

They managed to do a poured concrete floor such that a welded steel frame door, after installation, had a half inch gap on one side.

berkeman said:
LOL, er, no. I'd sure like to watch the first few crews try to open those gates in the dark early in the morning at start of shift in the demo of the old building. Trying to push them in the way you describe, then uttering some expletives, then pushing one sideways up the slope and watching it roll back down the slope on its own... "Hey you two, come here and hold these ***** gates open!"
Nononono, you misunderstand the goal. Just look at the latest updates from the IT job market. The idea is to discourage people _leaving_.

theycallmevirgo said:
They managed to do a poured concrete floor such that a welded steel frame door, after installation, had a half inch gap on one side.
Makes one wonder - if apparently not the universal language of math - what language the architectural blue prints were rendered in...

A quick technical update -- I saw the gate today and it is held open by the roller bearing friction on the rails. I didn't see any hold-open latches or anything. They've been using the gate for demolition equipment and support trucks, and it seems to stay open just fine. I'm resisting the urge to do the WD-40 experiment on the roller bearings...

Likes Lnewqban
If you have time to service the rollers with WD-40 for them, you might also consider changing a car's radiator coolant, then cleaning all the insulators on their electric fence by dressing them with a light coating of dilute glycol from a spray-bottle.

A more constructive observation is that a spot of glycol (hygroscopic), on the clear plastic face of a moving coil meter, attracts sufficient moisture to bleed off the external electrostatic charges that can cause weird errors of the pointer readings. To test meter sensitivity, just wipe the external meter face with a dry finger. If the pointer moves or dances wildly, dab the outside surface with a spot of dilute glycol.

Likes Lnewqban
First thing was - it doesn't close all the way. Then I was guessing swing gate. But closer look at the photo - it looks like there are some rails, but they don't appear to be level, so not sure how that's going to go.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman