1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is wrong with this proof?

1. Feb 2, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to prove that a countably infinite cartesian product of connected spaces is connected.

Let X be a connected space and let Y be the countably infinite cartesian product of copies of X, and suppose Y is equipped with the product topology.

So suppose Y is not connected. Let A and B be two disjoint, nonempty, open subsets of Y s.t. A U B = Y. Since A and B are open sets in the product topology, they are both of the form U1 X U2 X .... where each Ui's are not X for only finitely many i and each Ui is open in X. So let k be the sup of the index's for A and B which Ui's is not a copy of X.

So A intersect B = (U1 intersect Y1) X ... X (Uk intersect YK) x X x X... = empty set.
    Hence for some j less than k, Uj intersect Wj is empty. Hence Uj and Wj form a seperation of X since A U B is Y, then Ui U Wi = X, and for Uj and Wj, they are disjoint and nonempty.

So where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2008 #2
    Here's how you prove this (and this proof works even if the product is not countable)

-Let a be a fixed point of X (the product space, indexed by I).
    -Let K be any finite subset of I. Let Y be the subspace of X consisting of all points whose kth component is the kth component of a (k any element of K). Show that Y is connected.
    -Show that the union Z of all the Y's is connected (they share a common point!).
    -Show that X equals the closure of Z, and thus X is connected (remember that a point is in the closure of a set iff every neighbourhood of the point intersects the set).

This method works assuming that you already know how to prove that the product of 2 connected spaces is connected (and thus by induction a finite product of connected spaces is connected), or you can simply quote that result if it was already taught in class.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?