Forces Acting on Horse & Cart | Physics

• Thread starter maanneaguila
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the force that causes the horse to move forward is the force exerted by the hooves and legs on the ground, while the force that causes the cart to move is the force of the horse pulling it. The force required to move the horse is called normal force, which is the force of the ground pushing on the horse's hooves. The force pulling the cart is the force of the horse.
maanneaguila

Homework Statement

A horse is pulling a cart (a) what is the force that causes the horse to move forward? (b) what is the force that causes the cart to move?

Homework Equations

i have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
maanneaguila said:

Homework Statement

A horse is pulling a cart (a) what is the force that causes the horse to move forward? (b) what is the force that causes the cart to move?

Homework Equations

i have no idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea.

I would guess that the force required to move the horse is called normal force. It's the force of the ground pushing on the horse's hooves (don't know if i spelled that correctly). The force pulling the cart is..the force of the horse? I don't know the answer, but thought i'd give it a try until someone gives you a more confident and correct answer. good luck.

maanneaguila: give us your best understanding of what's happening. Forget forces for a moment. How is a horse able to move?

thanks for the idea., :D

i have here also, but not so sure if it's correct..,

the force that cause the horse to move forward is the force exerted by the hoofs/hooves and legs of the horse on the ground., it should be greater than the frictional force on the ground., :)

As a scientist, it is important to use scientific principles and equations to explain the forces acting on the horse and cart system.

(a) The force that causes the horse to move forward is the force of the horse's muscles pulling on the reins attached to the cart. This force is known as the applied force or the driving force.

(b) The force that causes the cart to move is the force of friction between the wheels of the cart and the ground. This force is known as the rolling or kinetic friction force.

In order to fully understand the forces acting on the horse and cart, we can use Newton's laws of motion. According to Newton's first law, an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the horse and cart system is initially at rest, but the applied force from the horse's muscles causes it to accelerate forward.

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the larger the applied force from the horse, the greater the acceleration of the horse and cart system. Additionally, the larger the mass of the cart, the smaller the acceleration will be.

Finally, Newton's third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the applied force from the horse's muscles creates an equal and opposite reaction force from the ground, which allows the horse and cart to move forward.

In conclusion, the forces acting on the horse and cart system are the applied force from the horse's muscles and the force of friction between the wheels of the cart and the ground. By understanding these forces and applying Newton's laws of motion, we can better understand the movement of the horse and cart system.

1. What are the main forces acting on a horse and cart?

The main forces acting on a horse and cart are the force of gravity, the force of friction, and the force of propulsion.

2. How does gravity affect a horse and cart?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. In the case of a horse and cart, gravity pulls the cart and the horse towards the ground, creating a downward force.

3. What is the role of friction in a horse and cart?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of a horse and cart, friction is necessary to provide traction between the horse's hooves and the ground, allowing the horse to move the cart forward.

4. What is the force of propulsion in a horse and cart?

The force of propulsion is the force that propels an object forward. In the case of a horse and cart, this force is generated by the horse's muscles as it pulls the cart along.

5. How do these forces affect the movement of a horse and cart?

These forces work together to determine the speed and direction of the horse and cart. The force of gravity pulls the cart and horse downward, while the force of propulsion from the horse's muscles moves the cart forward. Friction plays a crucial role in providing the necessary traction for the horse to move the cart forward.