1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of force?

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A horse is pulling a cart (a) what is the force that causes the horse to move forward? (b) what is the force that causes the cart to move?

2. Relevant equations

i have no idea.

3. The attempt at a solution

i have no idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2
    I would guess that the force required to move the horse is called normal force. It's the force of the ground pushing on the horse's hooves (don't know if i spelled that correctly). The force pulling the cart is..the force of the horse? I don't know the answer, but thought i'd give it a try until someone gives you a more confident and correct answer. good luck.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

maanneaguila: give us your best understanding of what's happening. Forget forces for a moment. How is a horse able to move?

5. Feb 25, 2012 #4
    thanks for the idea., :D

i have here also, but not so sure if it's correct..,

the force that cause the horse to move forward is the force exerted by the hoofs/hooves and legs of the horse on the ground., it should be greater than the frictional force on the ground., :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook