What kind of scientific calculator should I buy?

  • Topic: Calculators 
  • Thread starter Thread starter danielandpenn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculator Scientific
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
danielandpenn
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
Hi. I was wondering if anyone would share with me some insight about what calculator I should purchase? I'm a returning student in the fall, majoring in physics with engineering option. It's been so long since I've been in school though that I may end up having to take a trig/algebra II class and pre-calculus before even getting to calculus. So, I may need something for trig/alg, pre-calc, calc, physics and engineering. Thanks for your advice.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Three answers:
1, Any scientific calculator will do, you only need trig, roots and ln() even for grad school - anything else use a computer
2, Get an HP50 cos a Texas Ti89 is 0.1% less efficient at some function you have never heard of
3, Get an Texas Ti89 cos a HP50 is 0.1% slower at drawing graph function you will never use.
 
mgb_phys said:
Three answers:
1, Any scientific calculator will do, you only need trig, roots and ln() even for grad school - anything else use a computer
2, Get an HP50 cos a Texas Ti89 is 0.1% less efficient at some function you have never heard of
3, Get an Texas Ti89 cos a HP50 is 0.1% slower at drawing graph function you will never use.

Pretty much spot on.