Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of space is this?

  1. Jul 25, 2009 #1
    A set of vectors V defines a Euclidean subspace. A subspace contains the zero vector. Now consider augmenting this space so that a constant vector must be added to the linear combination. The resulting space no longer contains the zero vector so it is not a subspace, but it's clearly some kind of space...what do we call this kind of space?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2009 #2
    i think that's called an affine space
  4. Jul 26, 2009 #3


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I would call it a "linear manifold".

    I X is such a subset of a vector space and x0 is a specific vector in X, then V= {x- x0| x is in X} is a subspace and every member of X can be written "v+ x0" for some v in V.

    The set of all solutions to a homogeneous linear differential equation form a subspace of all analytic functions and the set of all solutions to a non-homogeneous linear equation form a linear manifold. That is why can find general solution to a non-homogenous equation by adding any specific solution to the general solution of the associated homogenous equation.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook