What kind of tools do physicists use?

In summary, physicists not only use measurement tools to gather data, but they also engage in hands-on work such as building experiments, taking apart lab equipment, and even working in a machine shop. Many experiments require physicists to be knowledgeable in both theory and experimentation, and there is a wide range of tasks that may involve aligning components, working with vacuums, and dealing with cryogenics. In one real-life example, physicists successfully tested a sonar system by locating and identifying underwater mines.
nst.john
I know physicists use measurement tools to measure things from speed to capacitance, but a lot of people tell me that physicists have hands on work.....where is this hands-on work? Besides doing the math and measuring data in experiments, what do physicists do that can be considered hands-on work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Building an experiment piece, taking apart lab equipment if something breaks, etc. You aren't just going to sit in an office crunching numbers. You will have your sleeves rolled up in a lab. There is a certain amount of grunt work that has to be done before you can start collecting data.

The physics department at my school has a dedicated machine shop just these said purposes. Yes there is some one who runs the shop, but you are there half the time explaining what you need and helping make something. Maybe I'm different.

If you are different I would like to join you with that. I love physics and the idea of getting my hands "dirty"

Physicists come in two varieties: theorists and experimentalists. Einstein was of the first kind, Faraday of the second. Some happen to be both, but that was more frequent in the past. It should be said that experimentalists must have solid training in the theory of physics, and theorists must follow the current state of experimental knowledge very closely.

Where is the "hands on work" for physicists?

One example is a mine-hunting sonar project I worked on. We had built two complete experimental sonar systems for our customer. We brought one out to sea for testing aboard our research ship. Several miles off the coast we laid down on the bottom a few actual underwater mines (inert, of course), each one a different type. Our plan was to dip the sonar (lower it on a long cable) from our ship and try to locate and identify the mine targets. Using an ultrasonic frequency, similar to that used for medical ultrasound devices, we were able to locate and partially identify those mines at some ranges. We measured those ranges, bearings, sound velocity, salinity, temperature, acoustic attenuation, target cross-section, plus more. We tested for several months. Our customer was happy. Now, that was "hands on" work.

There is a lot of variety in the types of experiments that physicists do, so it depends. Often, there are optical measurements or lasers, which require some alignment of mirrors, prisms, gratings. These need to be realigned when the environmental conditions change. Sometimes, it's quicker to build a component yourself, so you probably need to be handy with electrical circuits and stuff. A lot of labs use vacuums, so you might need to clean stuff really well and check leaks and stuff. Sometimes, you have to adjust some physical thing; make a measurement; adjust it again; make another measurement; etc. Sometimes you have to climb into confined spaces, or deal with cryogenics, or move heavy equipment. It all depends.

1. What is the most commonly used tool by physicists?

The most commonly used tool by physicists is the scientific calculator. It is used to perform complex mathematical calculations and analyze data.

2. Do physicists use any specialized software or programs?

Yes, physicists often use specialized software or programs such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and LabVIEW. These programs help them to visualize and analyze data, create simulations, and solve complex equations.

3. Are there any traditional tools that physicists still use?

Yes, there are still some traditional tools that physicists use, such as rulers, protractors, and compasses. These tools are used for measuring and drawing diagrams in experiments and calculations.

4. Are there any tools that are specific to certain areas of physics?

Yes, certain areas of physics may require specialized tools. For example, particle physicists use particle accelerators to study subatomic particles, while astronomers use telescopes to observe celestial bodies.

5. How important is the use of computers in modern physics?

The use of computers is extremely important in modern physics. They are used for data collection, analysis, and simulations, making the research process more efficient and accurate. Without computers, many of the advancements in physics would not be possible.