Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What level hazmat suit should be worn while tending to Uranium-238

1. May 4, 2012 #1
    If you were to be handling Uranium-238 at arms reach what would you where? I know it is only alpha radiation, but would you need something other than a hazmat suit, like more protective or do you only need a lab coat and goggles.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I have handled enriched uranium compounds, and I only needed thin gloves and a lab coat.

If one is doing something where dust might be produced, then one can were a dust mask or work with the sample under a hood.

4. May 4, 2012 #3
    When would you use let's say.. a level B hazmat suit? Is there any protection against radiation or is it just to prevent chemical burns and other associated injuries?

5. May 4, 2012 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

If one was using a compound that is gaseous, but the one would probably use a hood. The alphas from U-238 are absorbed by the gloves and the gamma activity is low. U-238 is pretty dense, so it provides a lot of self shielding.

Chemically, it should be treated like lead or other heavy metal. One simply avoids contact, but if it contacts the skin, wash it off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook